Travel

Health minister says announcement coming on COVID-19 border measure changes

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2021 5:07 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 30, 2021
171 posts
292 upvotes

Health minister says announcement coming on COVID-19 border measure changes

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will announce changes to COVID-19 prevention measures at the Canadian border "very soon."

The government has faced mounting pressure for weeks to do away with a requirement for fully vaccinated travellers into Canada to provide a negative molecular COVID-19 test.

For travellers making only a short jaunt over the border, the test can be completed in Canada before the trip takes place — drawing even more ire from travellers and the tourism sector.

The rule is part of an order in council that will expire on Sunday.

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam has defended the test requirement in the past, but recently said that it needs to be reviewed.

After meeting with fellow cabinet ministers Tuesday, Duclos says the government plans to make an announcement on the border in the coming days.

Source: Canadian Press and https://www.moosejawtoday.com/national- ... es-4764447
107 replies
[OP]
Banned
Oct 30, 2021
171 posts
292 upvotes
Note the federal government just suspended testing requirements for people in BC who need to travel via the US to go between the Lower Mainland (Greater Vancouver Region) and the BC Interior, because all the highways within Canada has been cutoff due to the mudslides.

Just shows what nonsense and a complete joke the testing requirements are.
Newbie
Oct 13, 2013
56 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
bobfan3 wrote: Note the federal government just suspended testing requirements for people in BC who need to travel via the US to go between the Lower Mainland (Greater Vancouver Region) and the BC Interior, because all the highways within Canada has been cutoff due to the mudslides.

Just shows what nonsense and a complete joke the testing requirements are.
It shows how quickly decisions can be made when they need to be. This should have been announced weeks ago.
Member
Nov 28, 2017
202 posts
100 upvotes
vandave wrote: It shows how quickly decisions can be made when they need to be. This should have been announced weeks ago.
Realistically, these measures were extended to prevent the majority of people from booking vacations during prime vacation season. I can't see how having 10s of thousands of families travel around the world, while kids are still unvaccinated and the global situation is unreliable, makes a whole lot of sense.

Once kids are vaccinated, there is no more solutions and restrictions should be lifted for those that are vaccinated, IMO.
Newbie
Oct 13, 2013
56 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
jjblast wrote: Realistically, these measures were extended to prevent the majority of people from booking vacations during prime vacation season. I can't see how having 10s of thousands of families travel around the world, while kids are still unvaccinated and the global situation is unreliable, makes a whole lot of sense.

Once kids are vaccinated, there is no more solutions and restrictions should be lifted for those that are vaccinated, IMO.
If so, our leaders should be ashamed. Cutting off the border affects thousands of families and businesses, and every consumer in this country. It was a ridiculous rule and it's wrong to play these games with our lives.
Member
Nov 28, 2017
202 posts
100 upvotes
vandave wrote: If so, our leaders should be ashamed. Cutting off the border affects thousands of families and businesses, and every consumer in this country. It was a ridiculous rule and it's wrong to play these games with our lives.
How is it a game? Vacations are not essential to life ...

The option to travel is still there for essential reasons - family visits, funerals, etc., just with restrictions (vaccinations + testing). The rest of the population that isn't travelling for leisure otherwise appreciate these rules. Don't think you quite understand how lucky you are to live in a nation with ready access to life-saving vaccinations and with a quick rollout, in comparison to many other nations, but you're worried about what? Disneyworld or snowbird vacations?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 23, 2013
618 posts
731 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think you are downplaying the importance of vacations. Im a firm believer in vacations for mental wellness, especially during fall and winter seasons. Are they essential? No. But to say we live in Canada and dont need to take vacations is an opinion I disagree with.

Here on the wet coast, we’ve been hammered by rain for seems like eternity. My family and I use to travel at least twice a year prior to the pandemic. We obviously paused that and have been good citizens, happily doing our part for 18 months.

We just took our first holiday, returning from 2 weeks in California. We understood the risks, took every precaution and dont regret the decision for a second.

Personally, im perfectly fine taking the necessary tests. They are in place for our protection and the protection of the citizens both here and abroad. We will continue to be good citizens and do what we need to do. Now if they tell us we dont need to test anymore, then so be it.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 30, 2021
171 posts
292 upvotes
jjblast wrote: How is it a game? Vacations are not essential to life ...

The option to travel is still there for essential reasons - family visits, funerals, etc., just with restrictions (vaccinations + testing). The rest of the population that isn't travelling for leisure otherwise appreciate these rules. Don't think you quite understand how lucky you are to live in a nation with ready access to life-saving vaccinations and with a quick rollout, in comparison to many other nations, but you're worried about what? Disneyworld or snowbird vacations?
It's long past time to stop living with fear and move on back to normality and accepting we all have to live with Covid, it's here for good. You can stay scared at home if you choose to. Everyone else is proceeding with life.

Fortunately further news reports since I originally posted the first article earlier are saying the federal government will begin phasing out the testing requirements as soon as next week, starting with trips to/from the US, and phasing out in stages from everywhere else in the world by end of March 2022. And the federal government has the unanimous support of all the provincial governments in eliminating the testing requirements, they all agreed to it on a conference call this evening.
Last edited by bobfan3 on Nov 16th, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
I think they remove testing for short trips of less than 4 days and antigen test required for longer than 4 days from the US. Everywhere else is likely to require a test and probably PCR. Testing will be reduced or removed once the 5-12 yrs age group has access to vaccinations. I believe Dr Tam has suggested a 85-90% vaccination target after the Delta virus became dominant. We are at 77% or so. Its quite possible that we hit 85% because parents will get their kids vaccinated if they hope to go on a late winter or March break holiday.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2616 posts
1278 upvotes
hartzfizzo wrote: I think you are downplaying the importance of vacations. Im a firm believer in vacations for mental wellness, especially during fall and winter seasons. Are they essential? No. But to say we live in Canada and dont need to take vacations is an opinion I disagree with.

Here on the wet coast, we’ve been hammered by rain for seems like eternity. My family and I use to travel at least twice a year prior to the pandemic. We obviously paused that and have been good citizens, happily doing our part for 18 months.

We just took our first holiday, returning from 2 weeks in California. We understood the risks, took every precaution and dont regret the decision for a second.

Personally, im perfectly fine taking the necessary tests. They are in place for our protection and the protection of the citizens both here and abroad. We will continue to be good citizens and do what we need to do. Now if they tell us we dont need to test anymore, then so be it.
Hmm. We all have our perspectives.

While I agree taking a vacation has many psychological (mental) benefits, the [current] Canadian federal requirements for molecular testing are punitive in nature. The US provides these tests free for residents (illegal or legitimate). Private clinics in the US can provide an expedited turnaround time (for a fee). There is no such mechanism in Canada. It's a luxury for most.

The wealthy will generally do what they want regardless of what they are told. Loopholes will be exploited. They have no qualms about paying the $200 testing fee because they can easily afford it. This is why in part snowbirds have flooded the land borders when first opened. Snowbirds can afford to buy an RV or have property in the US.

I don't believe the Canadian government's decision to keep the PCR/molecular requirement is to solely protect us, if anything, that's secondary to keeping (average) Canadian shoppers at home. If you want to travel, you're probably wealthy enough anyway. That seems to be their current mindset, which is shared amongst many. At least that's what I believe.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2616 posts
1278 upvotes
jjblast wrote: Once kids are vaccinated, there is no more solutions and restrictions should be lifted for those that are vaccinated, IMO.
That may not happen. In BC they have found the first cases of Delta sublineage AY.4.2 from the UK.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2616 posts
1278 upvotes
vandave wrote: It shows how quickly decisions can be made when they need to be. This should have been announced weeks ago.
A few weeks ago there was no crisis in BC with flooding. This is a temporary measure. Now if you know someone who's affected and willing to pick up my parcel in Blaine, please let me know.Person With Folded Hands
Newbie
Oct 13, 2013
56 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
sheyenne wrote: That may not happen. In BC they have found the first cases of Delta sublineage AY.4.2 from the UK.
Oh dear. Another variant. Who would have thought? Let’s go hide from it.

It’s ridiculous to think closing borders can contain these variants. This isn’t New Zealand and they couldn’t do it. Closing borders is useless. It’s an arbitrary line.
Newbie
Oct 13, 2013
56 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
jjblast wrote: How is it a game? Vacations are not essential to life ...

The option to travel is still there for essential reasons - family visits, funerals, etc., just with restrictions (vaccinations + testing). The rest of the population that isn't travelling for leisure otherwise appreciate these rules. Don't think you quite understand how lucky you are to live in a nation with ready access to life-saving vaccinations and with a quick rollout, in comparison to many other nations, but you're worried about what? Disneyworld or snowbird vacations?
This nation wasn’t created by luck.
Member
Nov 15, 2008
447 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
sheyenne wrote: That may not happen. In BC they have found the first cases of Delta sublineage AY.4.2 from the UK.
How much is your parcel worth?
Member
Nov 1, 2021
249 posts
159 upvotes
bobfan3 wrote: It's long past time to stop living with fear and move on back to normality and accepting we all have to live with Covid, it's here for good. You can stay scared at home if you choose to. Everyone else is proceeding with life.

Fortunately further news reports since I originally posted the first article earlier are saying the federal government will begin phasing out the testing requirements as soon as next week, starting with trips to/from the US, and phasing out in stages from everywhere else in the world by end of March 2022. And the federal government has the unanimous support of all the provincial governments in eliminating the testing requirements, they all agreed to it on a conference call this evening.
Exactly, the negative covid testing was necessary earlier this year when few people here were vaxx'd, but now that Canada has the 2nd highest vaxx rate in the world these negative covid tests are not necessary any more.

People can now freely travel from one country to another within the European Union - no negative covid tests are required, as long as they are fully vaxx'd. Even the US (with a much lower vaxx rate than Canada) opened its land border to fully vaxx'd Canadians recently.

It's time for Canada to move on and phase out these negative covid tests for fully vaxx'd travellers. Start with the US-Canada land border crossing first at the coming monthly US-Canada border review this Sunday, then gradually extend it to other countries next year.
Member
Nov 1, 2021
249 posts
159 upvotes
jjblast wrote: How is it a game? Vacations are not essential to life ...

The option to travel is still there for essential reasons - family visits, funerals, etc., just with restrictions (vaccinations + testing). The rest of the population that isn't travelling for leisure otherwise appreciate these rules. Don't think you quite understand how lucky you are to live in a nation with ready access to life-saving vaccinations and with a quick rollout, in comparison to many other nations, but you're worried about what? Disneyworld or snowbird vacations?

LOL...our PM Justin Trudeau and his family just took a "non-essential" vacation abroad recently. Now you want to teach us which things are essential... :rolleyes:

Watch the CTV News below -
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5645278
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 30, 2015
885 posts
834 upvotes
jjblast wrote: How is it a game? Vacations are not essential to life ...

The option to travel is still there for essential reasons - family visits, funerals, etc., just with restrictions (vaccinations + testing). The rest of the population that isn't travelling for leisure otherwise appreciate these rules. Don't think you quite understand how lucky you are to live in a nation with ready access to life-saving vaccinations and with a quick rollout, in comparison to many other nations, but you're worried about what? Disneyworld or snowbird vacations?
Oh god... pathetic
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4927 posts
6136 upvotes
Reports of an official announcement today regarding travel under 72hrs to the US no longer require a test
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2007
715 posts
511 upvotes
Goooooood!

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... ovember-17
9:50 a.m.
Canada to end PCR test requirement for short trips to U.S. – reports

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated travellers taking trips to the U.S. of less than 72 hours will no longer require a PCR test before crossing into Canada, according to several media reports.
Article content
The announcement by the federal government is expected to be announced later today as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau prepares to meet U.S. President Joe Biden and Andrés Manuel López Obrador, president of Mexico.
The three leaders are scheduled to hold meetings tomorrow in Washington.
Yesterday, Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said the federal government will announce changes to COVID-19 prevention measures at the Canadian border “very soon.”.......

Top