Students

Healthy Lunch ideas for young school kids

[OP]
Oct 13, 2004
698 posts
194 upvotes

Healthy Lunch ideas for young school kids

I need to make some changes in how the boys eat while they are in school. They are 9 and 7, grades 4 and 2 this year.
They have in the past taken sandwiches, a juice box and a couple of "snacks" like rice krispies squares and apples.

What are some easy yet nutritious things to send to school?

(Has to be nut free, not just peanuts, all nuts)
13 replies
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
How about baby carrots, celery sticks, and cucumbers with a light ranch/blue cheese dipping sauce? I find that if young children eat vegetables at a young age, they'll learn to appreciate the finer foods in life. I'm 20 and I am loving my vegetables. (I still hate eggplant though)
[OP]
Oct 13, 2004
698 posts
194 upvotes
bananaman wrote:How about baby carrots, celery sticks, and cucumbers with a light ranch/blue cheese dipping sauce? I find that if young children eat vegetables at a young age, they'll learn to appreciate the finer foods in life. I'm 20 and I am loving my vegetables. (I still hate eggplant though)
Awesome idea. Fruit is loved here, but it never seems to last more than a day, carrots and celery can be stretched out longer :)
Aug 19, 2005
76 posts
Toronto
You can make them a small salad bowl topped with dressing and maybe treat them with bacon bits if they are doing good at school. :-0
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
979 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Our kids (16,13 & 10) are fruit and veggie-holics. You could try homemade fruit salads. Any veggies cut up into smaller pieces, mine happen to love cucumber. And for sandwiches mine prefer pitas. We fill them with everything from chicken sald or tuna to taco fillings to salads. A thermos filled with soup or chile is a big hit in the winter. Ours also really like bagels, either just plain or as a bread replacement for sandwiches.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2004
698 posts
194 upvotes
Thanks for the ideas! These guys really need more veggies, they get a lot of fruit, but veggies are harder to get into them. But I will try.
I am now looking for thermoses to carry soup and such to school. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2003
2174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I'd substitute water for "juice" boxes/packs. If it becomes a real problem at first, perhaps only substitute every other day until they become more willing to let the "juice" go. I just can't stand the junk kids are subjected these days...
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
Fruit Salad, homemade salad for the lunchn and drink are fruit juices made all naturally from blenders or juicers.

I usually eat a BLT with some carrot sticks and a bottle of water or apple cidar.
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
I'm strongly against fruit juices these days. I was looking at the nutritional value for juice boxes and they contain an enormous amount of sugar. I think a Peach Del Monte fruit box contains just as much sugar as a can of coke last time I checked, although I could be wrong.

Anyways, the point being, I would recommend milk/icepack or just plain water. It's a much healthier route. Just my two cents.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
979 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I think you are correct bananaman. We don't and have never bought juice boxes. They have very little actual fruit juice. The only juices our kids get is 100% fruit (or vegetable)juices. We have been fortunate that our elementary school has a school milk program that we use.

Ronnie, don't forget you can sneak veggies in lots of other ways. Things like sneaking squash, zuchinni, etc. into pasta sauces. The guidelines are 5-10 servings of fruit and veggies, it doesn't have to be all veggies. Subtle changes, things like switching to whole wheat pastas and bread will make a big difference usually with little fuss from picky ones.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
3806 posts
58 upvotes
ronnie99 wrote:Thanks for the ideas! These guys really need more veggies, they get a lot of fruit, but veggies are harder to get into them. But I will try.
I am now looking for thermoses to carry soup and such to school. :)
LOL :D , for some reasons i really dont like fruit, and i love my vegetables, just add some salt black pepper and squeese some lemon Yummy Yummy :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
4707 posts
438 upvotes
Milton
bananaman wrote:How about baby carrots, celery sticks, and cucumbers with a light ranch/blue cheese dipping sauce? I find that if young children eat vegetables at a young age, they'll learn to appreciate the finer foods in life. I'm 20 and I am loving my vegetables. (I still hate eggplant though)
OMG im exactly the same.

I get my vegetables free (I work at Weston Produce, kinda like No Frills, since they dont give me benefits I make my own :D )
RFD BST Feedback [106 - 0 - 0] | Heatware [72 - 0 - 0]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Sandwiches are still a staple; lots of variety, healthier than burgers and fried foods.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)