Automotive

Heard Toronto wants to scrap over night parking.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2018 12:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Heard Toronto wants to scrap over night parking.

Heard from the grapevine that they are trying to abolish overnight parking. What's the logic behind this?
Money, of course!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toro ... -1.4578675

What do you guys think? I know most don't care as it doesn't affect them or may be it does. I see some drive ways with over flowing cars so they patrol those? Someone said it on another thread these guys are waging war on cars.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2145 posts
689 upvotes
Public roads are for public use, not an extension of your garage/driveway so you can use it as a permanent over night parking spot for free. Makes perfect sense...
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15918 posts
10640 upvotes
Toronto
fine by me, if you need to park in the street, then buy a permit. You have to in my neighbourhood.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1436 posts
1121 upvotes
HAMILTON
Toronto does not want to scrap on street overnight parking, they just want to make sure everybody pays for it. Just another tax revenue grab as opposed to raising property taxes.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
luckystrike1 wrote: Toronto does not want to scrap on street overnight parking, they just want to make sure everybody pays for it. Just another tax revenue grab as opposed to raising property taxes.
There are a lot of streets that do not align with residential addresses and are free to park for 3 Horus or less, hitherto it has never been a problem to park and they do not enforce it consistently. What becomes of those when this new cash grab legislation goes into effect? Pay a flat rate to park? What is it right now for residential permitted parking? I live in an apartment building.

I suppose if they were sensible with the price people wouldn't have too much of an issue. Everything seems like a cash grab nowadays and I guess I"m surprised it took them this long. Like Rob Ford said, the gravy train has to end.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7595 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto
Makes sense, our street has 30-40 foot lots and still charges for street parking, why would a handful of Wards near the downtown core not?!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1467 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote: There are a lot of streets that do not align with residential addresses and are free to park for 3 Horus or less, hitherto it has never been a problem to park and they do not enforce it consistently.
Well, if you are overnight parking in areas with hourly restrictions, you probably aren't parking for the 3 hours at 3AM in the night.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4554 posts
805 upvotes
I can't even buy a permit in my area. I wouldn't mind paying for street parking but the city won't sell me a permit.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20082 posts
3953 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: There are a lot of streets that do not align with residential addresses and are free to park for 3 Horus or less, hitherto it has never been a problem to park and they do not enforce it consistently. What becomes of those when this new cash grab legislation goes into effect? Pay a flat rate to park? What is it right now for residential permitted parking? I live in an apartment building.

I suppose if they were sensible with the price people wouldn't have too much of an issue. Everything seems like a cash grab nowadays and I guess I"m surprised it took them this long. Like Rob Ford said, the gravy train has to end.
My neighborhood allows parking on residential streets on weeknights and weekends, but not overnight parking (past 2 AM) or parking during business hours (as we're near a subway station). Enforcement is absolute, with no exceptions. Anyone who wants to park overnight has to either have guest parking in an apartment building, buy a permit from the city, or pay for a spot in a commercial lot.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8628 upvotes
GTHA
Supercooled wrote: What becomes of those when this new cash grab legislation goes into effect? Pay a flat rate to park? What is it right now for residential permitted parking?
This is a long process. Community council does public consultations and then they vote if they should proceed with this. This plan will then be ratified by the full council.

Current fees for Residential On-Street Parking
https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... t-parking/

parking.png
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
Lol. As I type this I have three cars parked on the street, the joys of living outside of Toronto.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)