Health & Wellness

Hearing aids recommendations

Jun 5, 2011
1 posts
2 upvotes
ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE

Hearing aids recommendations

I am looking for recommendations and information on hearing aids, best and best place to purchase.
46 replies
Feb 5, 2007
888 posts
472 upvotes
Mississauga
my dad bought a pair. Costco is def the best to get. They may be one generation behind but like half the price going to those hearing aid centers. Also just ask the audiologist your recommendation. Your situation affects which models you can pick

Hearing Aid Center: $6k
Costco 1 gen old: $3k
Apr 18, 2017
491 posts
344 upvotes
It could depend on what kind of hearing deficit you are trying to correct.
For speech discernment in noisy environments, my friend says the Oticon OpnS are far better than his old Phonaks.
(was 3 years newer generation though)

Did the audiologist make a recommendation?
Jul 18, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
I’m interested as well. Do you need a referral to an audiologist? Are there any government reimbursements programs especially for seniors?
Apr 18, 2017
491 posts
344 upvotes
Speaking for Ontario residents, no referral is needed to be tested at a hearing center. Many centers do testing at no charge.
If you are a candidate for hearing aids, then they need to be prescribed by an audiologist or your GP. (They will use the test results to make their assessment)

Ontario has an Assistive Devices Program, and will cover part of the cost up to $500 per ear.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8540 posts
2650 upvotes
Toronto
qman23 wrote: Speaking for Ontario residents, no referral is needed to be tested at a hearing center. Many centers do testing at no charge.
If you are a candidate for hearing aids, then they need to be prescribed by an audiologist or your GP. (They will use the test results to make their assessment)

Ontario has an Assistive Devices Program, and will cover part of the cost up to $500 per ear.
Correct but please take note $500 per ear once EVERY 3 years.
Feb 11, 2014
61 posts
41 upvotes
Haliburton
Since 2015 the $500 per year is every 5 years. Warranties are usually 3 years.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10008 upvotes
Edmonton
I got my hearing aids from Costco. I think they had a 90 day money back offer, so you could try them and see if you could adjust to them. Plus a "loss-replacement" warranty, which I've had to use (unfortunately).

As far as current gen or not... Not really sure about what you'd be missing. Some of the others are rechargeable instead of using button-style batteries. But mine do integrate with my Bluetooth devices, which can be handy. My GF doesn't like the audio quality of phone calls when I talk to her when I've got them in, though. On the plus side, I can keep them in and use my Apple ear buds (wired or wireless, except for the AirPods Pro won't work). I've also found out that I can put in my workshop earplugs while wearing them, which kind of defeats the purpose of the earplugs as well as jamming the hearing aids in probably deeper than they were supposed to go... :)

They don't offer things like tinnitus control, which seems to be a mixed bag anyway. Would have been nice to try, but not at twice the price. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the change. Drop me a note if you want to talk about them.

And for some of the rest of the replies... Keep in mind the OP is from AB, at least, from their location. So arguing over $500 every 3 or 5 years in Ontario is rather moot for them.

C
Apr 18, 2017
491 posts
344 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
And for some of the rest of the replies... Keep in mind the OP is from AB, at least, from their location. So arguing over $500 every 3 or 5 years in Ontario is rather moot for them.

C
The OP didn't ask about government programs at all.
I was replying to @pakilamy2 who asked about the need for a referral and if there were assistive government reimbursements.
They don't list their location, and I made it clear I was speaking for Ontario residents.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3579 posts
1988 upvotes
Whitehorse
CNeufeld wrote: They don't offer things like tinnitus control, which seems to be a mixed bag anyway.
BTW: "Tinnitus" programs can be used for desensitation to other things but Tinnitus. For example if a patient is sensitive to certain real sounds. But of course if that's your issue, discuss it with your audiologist.

To come back to purchasing hearing aids: The challenge is not so much buying a cheaper device, but getting it fitted professionally - by that I don't mean just how the dome fits in your ear canal, or how the device sits on your ear, but finetuning the audio profile. That takes time, equipment, and expertise.

There are relatively cheap over-the-counter hearing aids on the market (at least in the US). However, I understand they can't be tuned the same way as the expensive devices, and in any case you'd have to find someone to tune it, who'd have to have the propert hard- and software, not to mention expertise. It'll cost you. That fine tuning adds a substantial cost, which is often baked into the purchase price.

Here in the Yukon, a government clinic provides the fitting service for free (under Yukon health insurance). As a result, the devices are cheaper to buy. But, of course, you have to be a Yukon resident, so that won't help the OP from Alberta.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3579 posts
1988 upvotes
Whitehorse
Having said that: What credit card would you use to pay for a hearing aid?

Say the hearing aid gets lost or damaged - many good credit cards provide coverage for 90 days, but some have amount limits (Example: Amex SimplyCash's Purchase Protection is limited to $1000, whereas Rogers MC WE has a lifetime limit of $60k for the sum of Purchase Protection and Warranty Exension claims.) Are there any that provide longer coverage than 90 days? Or offer topups for specific purchases?

Warranty Extensions: Cards have different limitations. (For example, Rogers MC WE does not provide warranty extension if the manufacturer has gone out of business.)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6134 posts
3607 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: I got my hearing aids from Costco. I think they had a 90 day money back offer, so you could try them and see if you could adjust to them. Plus a "loss-replacement" warranty, which I've had to use (unfortunately).

As far as current gen or not... Not really sure about what you'd be missing.
I think all hearing aid manufacturers have an approximate 18 month product cycle.
What Costco carries seems to follow that cycle. If you time it right, you can get a reasonably recent latest and greatest minus a few features that are turned off in the programming.

One site to follow if you are looking for new or replacements is the hearing aid forums.
https://forum.hearingtracker.com/

Some people at Costco are better than others. I switched stores because I didn't like the HIS. Got a good Audioligist for the initial fitting a few adjustments after. Then I wound up with an Audiologist somewhere between.
Make sure you get a copy of your audiograms.

Costco will only program what they sell. If you have an older set as a spare and an audiogram you can get them reprogrammed by mail order here:
https://lloydhearingaid.com/shopping/repairs.asp

They also repaired a set I was told by one of the big chains that could not be repaired.
If you need a repair under warranty at Costco, they don't provide spares so you will be without. Having an old set with a relative recent tweak is better than being without.
Whereas other shops might loan you a demo set while yours is getting repaired. They have figured out that loaning you a newer model might prompt you to want to upgrade sooner.

Forgot to mention that the Kirkland Signature is something else rebranded, and the brands do change.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1803 posts
517 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I’m in AB and got my hearing aids at Costco. My previous pair used batteries and wasn’t Bluetooth compatible, this pair is ( Rexton). I like it that I don’t need earbuds or headphones when I want to work out and listen to music on my phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8540 posts
2650 upvotes
Toronto
knuks101 wrote: I’m in AB and got my hearing aids at Costco. My previous pair used batteries and wasn’t Bluetooth compatible, this pair is ( Rexton). I like it that I don’t need earbuds or headphones when I want to work out and listen to music on my phone.
You will spend a lot on batteries since you stream a lot of music.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6134 posts
3607 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: You will spend a lot on batteries since you stream a lot of music.
Costco batteries are economical & seem to last as long as name brand.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1803 posts
517 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
cgtlky wrote: You will spend a lot on batteries since you stream a lot of music.
Sorry, I didn’t make that clear, these ones are rechargeable and I charge them overnight.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1115 posts
233 upvotes
I took my dad to a place in Scarborough, Ontario, their Audiologist was the best and it is a family owned business, so there service is outstanding. We had been to at least 5 places including Costco, Costco's premium aids are not really premium aids, they are premium for Costco but mid level aids for other places and according to what I hear from other users, their hearing services are not great and takes forever to get an appointment. We were really Impressed and happy.
Good luck.
Address: 3630 Lawrence Ave E Unit 201, Scarborough, ON M1G 1P6
Phone: (647) 812-1151
Province: Ontario
Mar 16, 2007
832 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I received the following quotes from Costco and Hearing Life. The price difference is huge. Is it really worth paying huge premium to Hearing life. Hearing life has many locations. How do one know whether audiologist at any given location is worth the premium over costco.

Costco (6 months trial) :
Level 1: Philips 9030 MNR TR for $1,150/ear. This is before $500/ear govt assistance. Net $650/ear.

Hearing Life (3 months trial):
Level 1: Oticon for $3,400/ ear. Net $ 2,900 after 500 govt assistance.
Level 3: Oticon (bare basic) for $1,950/ ear. Net $ $1450/ear after 500 govt assistance.
Aug 27, 2005
200 posts
172 upvotes
I have a friend in Ontario that whose father is requiring hearing aids. Are there any other programs to discount the price other than the 500 rebates from the government like who can afford these when low income
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1566 posts
1110 upvotes
Ottawa
Resurrecting this thread since we're exploring hearing aids for my 89-y.o. mother, and have shell-shock at Hearing Life's prices. (We're in Ontario). Costco might be a good solution, especially since she won't be using bells and whistles anyway.

Are Costco hearing aid services limited to the member only, or can one get them for a family member? Thus far, a Costco membership hasn't been worth it for anyone in our family. This of course could make it worth it, but since my mom doesn't shop for anything anymore, it would make more sense for myself and my wife to join rather than my mom, and just have her come in with us to get the hearing aid.

Since I've resurrected this thread, any good or bad experiences with Costco hearing aid adjustments or service, should they be required? Of course the audiologist we have the prescription (audiogram) from is advocating we buy from them due to more up-to-date models and after-sales service. We can compare the specs on the models, but wondering about the service aspect.

Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)