Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA

Heat loss in family room with cathedral ceiling

My home is 13 years old. The family room has cathedral ceiling and in the winter it gets chilly there. Makes watching TV in the family room uncomfortable. The windows in that room are 2-storey high and you can feel the cold draft coming in. I have California shutters installed and I already close them to prevent the draft from coming in as much as possible.

Would replacing the windows solve the problem? The windows are from builder and I imagine they are probably not of good quality. Replacing those windows would not be cheap and I'd have to budget for it.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12221 posts
8631 upvotes
Edmonton
Get a thermal camera and see where your heat loss is?

C
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: Get a thermal camera and see where your heat loss is?

C
Can you rent a thermal camera? Approx cost? Also, do I have to wait till winter again to see where the heat loss is? Sorry but I'm such a NOOB when it comes to home improvements.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1960 posts
501 upvotes
Calgary
all of the warm air rises to the top.

get a ceiling fan.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
As you described, draft coming through your windows and that's where you need to look at.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
Sounds like heat is rising, and cold is dropping, which makes sense, and the windows (which, even if they were awesome, are still pretty low "R" value) are creating a cold surface, so it's just running down the wall.

This happens in my buddy's parents' house as well, and I know their windows were absolute top-of-the-line. 15-some odd feet of ~R2 glass on a cold day, I am not sure if you can avoid it. They have wooden blinds that they angle down-towards the window, and it helps, if only just to keep the cold air up against the window.
Jan 15, 2010
183 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
We have a 19 foot ceiling in the family room with 2 large south east facing windows, about 4' x 8'. The original windows were builder grade and were drafty in places. Several years ago I had all windows recaulked which solved the draft issue. We also have a ceiling fan.
We eventually replaced all the windows.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20136 posts
7433 upvotes
Socially Distanced
High percentage of low R value windows will do it. Also whats the insulation in the ceiling/walls/floor (basement?). How much air leakage is in this room. Finally how much heat is directed into this area?

Hard questions to answer, but your problem will be in there somewhere
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6668 posts
2989 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Try ceiling fan first... run it year around but opposite directions [clockwise in winter on low at first]. Curtains [thick] on windows might also help. Running furnace fan on instead of auto another option.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Try getting a ceiling fan it'll definitely help
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20136 posts
7433 upvotes
Socially Distanced
foodyforlife wrote: Try getting a ceiling fan it'll definitely help
It wont make much difference, one of those common knowledge things thats bunk
i've read research done on this and they found it had a negative effect because the room temp actually rose slightly (from the energy used by the fan motor) but the occupants felt cooler from the moving air (as you would in spring/summer/fall).

Funny thing is its so enshrined into our collective "knowledge" that its recommended by the EPA
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11352 posts
3097 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I think thermal camera would be best in this situation. For all you know you may have a wall that has no insulation or very little insulation or some other issue.
0_o
<_<
>_>