Heater floor insulation tester on a budget

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 11:41 am
Oct 10, 2017
117 posts
33 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario

Heater floor insulation tester on a budget

The insulation testing instrument required to test my new heated floor costs more than the actual heated floor system. Is there some cheaper alternative for this tool or can it be rented?
It's called a megger or insulation tester.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3208 posts
1526 upvotes
I ran into the same issue installing a Ditra heat flooring system, fortunately, I found a local electrician acquaintance (karate dad) who came by and hooked his up and we did the test together for a twelve pack of beer.

He claimed it was really completely unnecessary provided the two other tests are done, and fall within range, and the cable has not been cut or kinked badly.

If you know a local one person or small electrical contractor, tell them what you want done, they can do it likely for a minimum charge (expect about a hundred bucks, which I think would be fair enough)
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
Yes, meggers or wire insulation testers are expensive and I don't know where one can rent these from. Unlike a DMM, the megger checks resistance to earth using a high voltage. Any insulation fault would be shown on the read out. I was surprised to see this requirement in the Ditra Heat installation manual, guess if you don't do it and there's a problem they would refuse a warranty claim. FYI for Ditra Heat, the megger test does not have to be done, but if it is, the warranty is extended to 15 years. Only the resistance and temperature sensor test will have a 10 year warranty
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
How are they going to know if you had the megger test done or not. I have a megger and could test the wires but I have no certificate to issue you . You could just write any numbers down and say the test was done to gain the longer warranty
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3208 posts
1526 upvotes
schade wrote: How are they going to know if you had the megger test done or not. I have a megger and could test the wires but I have no certificate to issue you . You could just write any numbers down and say the test was done to gain the longer warranty
Technically they would not know, however when time to claim warranty, they may ask you to indicate who tested it, or how it was tested.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)