• Dec 10th, 2020 4:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 10, 2009
150 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga

heating

wondering what my heating options are. i have wood zero clearance wood fireplace and electric baseboard heaters. looking at getting a couple air to air heat pumps or getting propane furnace, liking the idea of the heat pumps just because that will also give us ac. and this house isn't set up for ducts

what option would be cheaper to heat with?
3 replies
Oct 19, 2020
396 posts
231 upvotes
When you have no natural gas available and the house is not suitable for ducts, cold climate mini-split heatpump system with multiple heads is the best option.
You keep the baseboards for backup.

It's a good idea to have the option to heat with wood, but your fireplace has to be designed for heating. Many just vent all the heat out the chimney.

Propane can be as pricey as off-peak electricity.

Nothing will be cheap to install.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2009
150 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
wood stove is what the previous owner used exclusively (electric was set to maybe 10deg incase) i will most likely need to replace it down the road as all the fire bricks could use replacing and they are 150$ plus a piece with 8 of them, one definitely needs to be replaced now.
Oct 19, 2020
396 posts
231 upvotes
Heatpump with wood is a great combo.

The heat output from a wood stove is intense and hard to control, so heating with it in milder weather can result in over-heating and waste of fuel.

Heatpumps on the other hand are most energy efficient in mild to typical winter weather. Capacity may be maintained but more electricity is required to do the job as it gets colder. By the time it's -20c, the efficiency is 150% instead 250 to 400%.

So, use heatpump most of the season and fire up the wood stove for extremes.