Think of the Childre…

HelloFresh food discussion sorta

Sooo I signed up for this plan:

Pronto Plan - 4 Meals - 2 people
Full price/weekly ongoing price:
$99.99
Discount -$99.99
Order price (with discount): $0.00

So 4 meals for 2 people is $99.99 per week????

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Sooo I signed up for this plan:

$99.99
Discount -$99.99

It's insane, no wonder they can give out all of those free boxesSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, it comes to $12.50 per portion. If HelloFresh is anything like other meal kit services, you can sometimes get an extra portion out of 1 or 2 of the meals.

I've never used HelloFresh but I've used Goodfood on and off for about 2 years. They're cheaper 4 meals for 2 people is $78 ($9.75 a portion) for regular kits or $90 ($11.25 a portion) for easy prep meals (where ingredients are pre-cut like HelloFresh's pronto meals).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I've never understood it.
If you're 100% allergic to leftovers? Maybe.

But if I can recycle things, I can get down to a couple bucks per portion. Paying $12.50/plate is hilarious.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Meh, trying this out for a week and if it sucks, I'm going to cancel it.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Meh, trying this out for a week and if it sucks, I'm going to cancel it.
I'm not sure it'll suck anywhere but the pocket book.
Maybe the portion size too from what I hear.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2017 upvotes
Scarborough
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Sooo I signed up for this plan:

$99.99
Discount -$99.99

Where do I find promo to try it out? Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
My wife and I have been getting 3 meals a week for probably around a year from Hello Fresh.

We used to come up with a meal plan for the week, look up recipes on Pinterest, go grocery shopping together, and cook the food.

But, as we got busier, the initial planning did not happen, and the whole thing fell apart. We were always scrambling at the last minute to answer "what's for dinner?" We were eating more processed / frozen foods, and and going out to restaurants more often, and eating expensive, high calorie meals. Hello Fresh has really helped us.

The meals are fairly well balanced, and very tasty. Some recipes give a little leftover, some don't. If we had any issues with late delivery, or produce quality (rare) customer service handled the issues well.

Obviously, it is not the cheapest way to do food, and it will not work well for all households, but as two young adults, working at minimum full time, we have found it to be overall positive.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2017 upvotes
Scarborough
rkjredflag wrote: My wife and I have been getting 3 meals a week for probably around a year from Hello Fresh.

We used to come up with a meal plan for the week, look up recipes on Pinterest, go grocery shopping together, and cook the food.

But, as we got busier, the initial planning did not happen, and the whole thing fell apart. We were always scrambling at the last minute to answer "what's for dinner?" We were eating more processed / frozen foods, and and going out to restaurants more often, and eating expensive, high calorie meals. Hello Fresh has really helped us.

The meals are fairly well balanced, and very tasty. Some recipes give a little leftover, some don't. If we had any issues with late delivery, or produce quality (rare) customer service handled the issues well.

Obviously, it is not the cheapest way to do food, and it will not work well for all households, but as two young adults, working at minimum full time, we have found it to be overall positive.

May I suggest something? I've tried a few of them myself with the exception of this company. Most times than not the recipes tend to carry somewhat similar ingredients and I'm guessing it's done on purpose for the yielding of their harvest logistics. Some of the companies offer full recipes without being a member (MakeGoodFood). So if you're in a pinch you can look at the following weeks recipes and you can do your shopping list based on the 3 or more dishes you wish to make yourself and you will see that most of them have ingredients in common.

The last thing I want to do is purchase a bunch of parsley for a recipe and then have no use for it for the next week and then it goes bad.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I was guessing codes. First three letters are FBI the other 4 I made up. Something like FBISTD7 or FBI7STD
OrangeBerry wrote: Where do I find promo to try it out? Thanks

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2017 upvotes
Scarborough
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I was guessing codes. First three letters are FBI the other 4 I made up. Something like FBISTD7 or FBI7STD
Oh ok lol thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I did a whole review on hello fresh and meal services. I also mentioned after the promo code, Costco has ecertificates which work to it to $20 off. However, you can only use one code per purchase

Hellofresh review and info.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
2025 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
I tried it once, never again.. portions were okay, food was meh...

Now I just focus on a meat & 2 veggies as a side (like salad or broccoli or asparagus)
I find a ton of videos on youtube or facebook to follow...

very easy, much cheaper (I also look for sale meat or chicken from costco/farmboy)