Automotive

HELLPPP! Oil leaked out from 06 IS250 and Engine sounds.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 4:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2020
1 posts

HELLPPP! Oil leaked out from 06 IS250 and Engine sounds.

Hey guys, I’m new on this forum. Just needed a little help on a current situation, here’s a rundown I own a 2006 Lexus IS250 for let’s say 3 months. Long story short, I changed my oil today for the first time and ensured everything was done correctly (Not the first time I’ve done this). I even ensured after the oil change that the oil wasn’t leaking by turning on the car and moving it around etc. About 2 hours or so later I decided to take the car for a spin around my block. Five mins into driving around, the check ENGINE LIGHT APPEARED AND THE ENGINE STARTED MAKING A WEIRD NOISE. I drove back to my home which was 2 mins away and parked the car only to realize THE OIL LEAKED OUT OF IT. My dad came out to check so I switched off and jacked the car, There appeared to be a kink in the oil filter seal and the rest of oil came out. I’m confused on what I should do next. Did I damage the engine? Do I need a replacement? Should I buy more oil and add it?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2467 posts
3277 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Replace the oil filter, fill the car to the proper oil level and cross your fingers.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4591 posts
4833 upvotes
GTA
To me, a "kink in the oil filter seal" sounds like the old oil filter gasket wasn't removed, and the new filter and gasket were installed on top of it. It can't seal like this. There can only be one gasket.

The oil filter is under pressure, so if the gasket isn't sealing properly you can quickly pump all of the oil out of the engine that way.

I agree with mxthor3's reply.

But if the engine still makes noise after, you probably need a new one.
maxresdefault (1).jpg
1h6a1g4q7it11.jpg
Last edited by derass on Jul 20th, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19196 posts
22092 upvotes
GTA
Likely no problem. There's tons of examples of cars running with no oil for short periods, especially if you weren't pushing it.
Fill it up and see how it runs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2566 posts
1286 upvotes
Hometown
Not sure what motor you have but it is likely that even if the oil came out from the filter attachment housing and you can't read any on the dip stick that the pan was NOT completely dry.

I would buy enough oil for 2 changes and 2 filters.

Do a normal oil change, start the car if it will run. If it seems to be running fine. Double check the oil level, if still good. Take it for a short drive 10 to 15 minutes. Do not warm the car oil up by idling!!! Of course if it sounds like you just put a dozen spoons down the garbage disposal SHUT it OFF.

If you can take it for a drive. When the oil is still WARM. Carefully change the oil again so you do NOT get burnt... Hopefully having the oil warm it will hold any potential metal shavings in suspension in the oil so they will drain out.

Look at the oil for debris and motor glittery bits. For craps and giggles also carefully cut open the filter as shown many times on YouTube and look for metal shavings in it.

If the motor did not seize while you were driving it, and you don't find large amounts of shavings in the oil you just might be OK... If not lesson learned...
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5135 posts
6846 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Only one way to tell. Do another change, start it up and see if the noise persists. Since it's a Lexus, you probably shortened the life of the engine by 50k km but it will still run until you get sick of the car.

Just for next time, whenever you hear your engine making noises and CEL, you pull over.. driving the extra 2 minutes is a very bad idea... might be the difference of a new engine.
Mar 23, 2009
938 posts
297 upvotes
Halifax
06lexusis250 wrote: Hey guys, I’m new on this forum. Just needed a little help on a current situation, here’s a rundown I own a 2006 Lexus IS250 for let’s say 3 months. Long story short, I changed my oil today for the first time and ensured everything was done correctly (Not the first time I’ve done this). I even ensured after the oil change that the oil wasn’t leaking by turning on the car and moving it around etc. About 2 hours or so later I decided to take the car for a spin around my block. Five mins into driving around, the check ENGINE LIGHT APPEARED AND THE ENGINE STARTED MAKING A WEIRD NOISE. I drove back to my home which was 2 mins away and parked the car only to realize THE OIL LEAKED OUT OF IT. My dad came out to check so I switched off and jacked the car, There appeared to be a kink in the oil filter seal and the rest of oil came out. I’m confused on what I should do next. Did I damage the engine? Do I need a replacement? Should I buy more oil and add it?
yeah right
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12793 posts
7489 upvotes
Brampton
The 4GR and the 2GR both use Cartridges. I'm really struggling to picture how you can screw up the gasket.

Just do what mxthor3 said. Car's not worth a motor swap. The 4GR and 2GR are not very tolerant of a low oil, low oil pressure situation. The design of the engine requires a lot of oil and it's oil pressure to stay working safety, but who knows.

Also the lawls at the 50k reduction of the life of an engine or metal shavings. That's not how this works.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1604 posts
1083 upvotes
Manitoba
Quick question....how do you not notice the big pool of oil below the engine bay?

Granted I back up of my driveway so I can see if there is a pool of liquid before I drive away...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3985 posts
3176 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote: The 4GR and the 2GR both use Cartridges. I'm really struggling to picture how you can screw up the gasket.

Just do what mxthor3 said. Car's not worth a motor swap. The 4GR and 2GR are not very tolerant of a low oil, low oil pressure situation. The design of the engine requires a lot of oil and it's oil pressure to stay working safety, but who knows.

Also the lawls at the 50k reduction of the life of an engine or metal shavings. That's not how this works.
+1 it's a cartridge type. Have you done an oil change with the cartridge and known that there are 2 o-rings to replace?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lex ... ilter,5340

You said "There appeared to be a kink in the oil filter seal and the rest of oil came out." The large o-ring is pretty hard to see once you've got the filter installed so how did you see that?
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10098 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto
Takes alot to anythibg to Toyota Honda engines
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19196 posts
22092 upvotes
GTA
06lexusis250 wrote: Hey guys, I’m new on this forum. Just needed a little help on a current situation, here’s a rundown I own a 2006 Lexus IS250 for let’s say 3 months. Long story short, I changed my oil today for the first time and ensured everything was done correctly (Not the first time I’ve done this). I even ensured after the oil change that the oil wasn’t leaking by turning on the car and moving it around etc. About 2 hours or so later I decided to take the car for a spin around my block. Five mins into driving around, the check ENGINE LIGHT APPEARED AND THE ENGINE STARTED MAKING A WEIRD NOISE. I drove back to my home which was 2 mins away and parked the car only to realize THE OIL LEAKED OUT OF IT. My dad came out to check so I switched off and jacked the car, There appeared to be a kink in the oil filter seal and the rest of oil came out. I’m confused on what I should do next. Did I damage the engine? Do I need a replacement? Should I buy more oil and add it?
So is the engine fine? Or ruined?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2015
1612 posts
1220 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Rookie mechanic but hey you learn as you go.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32941 posts
14662 upvotes
If the engine was making noises it's probably the end for it. You mentioned the engine light but did the oil pressure light go on? You know, "the genie lamp"? Most modern engines will shut down if they have no oil pressure but that doesn't mean the engine can't get damaged before that. Mechanical noises in this situation are never good, typically means certain doom. However yeah you'll have to put more oil in and see if it fires up. Heck even if you put the old oil back in, just to see if it runs, that's fine too presuming you didn't use a dirty oil drain pan which may have had rocks, etc. in it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: So is the engine fine? Or ruined?
budget baller never to be seen again.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32941 posts
14662 upvotes
koffey wrote: budget baller never to be seen again.
I think just budget dude, not baller. IS250 is laughing stock of the entry-level lux world--slow as the ol' blackstrap, guzzles gas like mad, and is horribly lacklustre in all dimensions--plus this is an 06. This fail of a car should be like $3-4k tops these days and OP just got it recently so don't think any "balling" is involved here whatsoever. Costs more to lease a base civic in a year.

I mean yeah it really sucks if he ruined the engine but I mean the good news is it'll be cheaper to replace the whole car than it would to replace a ruined engine. Plus you know it gives the opportunity to get something that's actually faster than a base Civic unlike this turd :)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1178 posts
1056 upvotes
I love thread starters who don't follow up after a lot of replies.
Oct 26, 2009
138 posts
89 upvotes
George613 wrote: I love thread starters who don't follow up after a lot of replies.
prob busy looking for a new car