[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
792 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

HELOC question

Situation:
Current mortgage is with MCAP.
I would like to get a HELOC, but not through MCAP but through my normal bank (Scotiabank).

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if Scotiabank or any of the big banks will give a HELOC if your mortgage is not with them?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
jamieee wrote: Situation:
I would like to get a HELOC, but not through MCAP but through my normal bank (Scotiabank).

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if Scotiabank or any of the big banks will give a HELOC if your mortgage is not with them?
Of course. Any of them will do it.

Keep in mind that if you want a auto-rebalancing HELOC/mortgage combo, then you should wait until maturity and transfer the mortgage to whichever FI you want to go with.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3936 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: Of course. Any of them will do it.

Keep in mind that if you want a auto-rebalancing HELOC/mortgage combo, then you should wait until maturity and transfer the mortgage to whichever FI you want to go with.
on a related note....

If you already have an auto-rebalancing HELOC/mortgage combo with a specific bank.... are you able to move that HELOC/mortgage combo to another FI at the end of your term? Or must your HELOC balance be zero (assuming you have a balance), in order to switch to another lender? OR are you pretty much tied to that one bank for the life of the mortgage due to the HELOC/Mortgage combo?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto

You can only do this if you have enough equity in the property. The HELOC alone can only be up to 65% LTV.

So max HELOC amount is:

Property value * .65 - registered mortgage amount

TD will offer a HELOC behing MCAP, but again, you need the equity.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote: on a related note....

If you already have an auto-rebalancing HELOC/mortgage combo with a specific bank.... are you able to move that HELOC/mortgage combo to another FI at the end of your term? Or must your HELOC balance be zero (assuming you have a balance), in order to switch to another lender? OR are you pretty much tied to that one bank for the life of the mortgage due to the HELOC/Mortgage combo?
You have to refinance it. This means you have to pay for legals (about $800) and an appraisal (about $300). It cannot be done as a free transfer.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Sep 9, 2008
621 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried to get a HELOC with Scotia but they want it to be a collateral charge!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
Szharkov wrote: I tried to get a HELOC with Scotia but they want it to be a collateral charge!
That's only if you get their STEP product (all-in-one product). OP is getting a HELOC separate of the mortgage, so the mortgage remains as a standard charge.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Sep 9, 2008
621 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: That's only if you get their STEP product (all-in-one product). OP is getting a HELOC separate of the mortgage, so the mortgage remains as a standard charge.
Exactly, I'm telling them I want a straight up HELOC... not STEP. Financial advisor keeps telling me it must be STEP if I want to setup HELOC. Load of bullshit?
Oct 19, 2005
854 posts
217 upvotes
Brampton
What is auto rebalance on HELOC/Mortgage?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
Szharkov wrote: Exactly, I'm telling them I want a straight up HELOC... not STEP. Financial advisor keeps telling me it must be STEP if I want to setup HELOC. Load of bullshit?
Depends on your equity. You may not qualify to do them separately.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
avatar12 wrote: What is auto rebalance on HELOC/Mortgage?
When the HELOC availability automatically increases when you make a mortgage payment.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Sep 9, 2008
621 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: Depends on your equity. You may not qualify to do them separately.
Current mortgage balance is 417k, approx. house value is 580k. LTV is ~ 71.9%, so I should be good to go.
Sep 4, 2009
377 posts
176 upvotes

I have my 1st mortgage with MCAP. I tried going through another big bank to get a HELOC set up, including Scotia. They will do it, but the rate is high as they are tied in second position. So I was getting quotes ranging from Prime + 1% to 2.5%.

Instead I just went with the MCAP Home Plus plan and that provides the HELOC at Prime + 0.50%. You have to pay legal + appraisal fees to set up it up, but I was reimbursed back for some of the fees as I told them I was using all of it for the long haul.

The downside to this might be renewal time. If I switch my first mortgage, then I can't keep the HELOC with MCAP. The HELOC is only available if my first mortgage also stays with MCAP or is paid off.
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
I have the auto-rebalance mortgage/HELOC product with MCAP also. Big banks will do HELOC as 2nd position. I used to have TD as 2nd position HELOC before I got the auto-rebalance HELOC. My TD HELOC rate was same as other competitive HELOC rates.

I find HELOC at big banks have advantage if you need to access your money immediately. You can just go to the branch and get a draft/cash. With MCAP HELOC, you need to call in, make a request, and then they deposit the money into your bank account in around 2 business days. Also there's a $1.50 charge. So it depends if immediate access is important to you or if you want an auto-rebalance HELOC.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
Szharkov wrote: Current mortgage balance is 417k, approx. house value is 580k. LTV is ~ 71.9%, so I should be good to go.
No, max LTV for a HELOC is 65%. Your mortgage is already at 71.9% LTV. You have to do an all-in-one product, you can't get a HELOC setup separately.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
Chasem wrote: I have my 1st mortgage with MCAP. I tried going through another big bank to get a HELOC set up, including Scotia. They will do it, but the rate is high as they are tied in second position. So I was getting quotes ranging from Prime + 1% to 2.5%.

Instead I just went with the MCAP Home Plus plan and that provides the HELOC at Prime + 0.50%. You have to pay legal + appraisal fees to set up it up, but I was reimbursed back for some of the fees as I told them I was using all of it for the long haul.

The downside to this might be renewal time. If I switch my first mortgage, then I can't keep the HELOC with MCAP. The HELOC is only available if my first mortgage also stays with MCAP or is paid off.
As Fenomenon mentioned, TD is good at offering a HELOC in 2nd position at competitive rates. That's about the only thing they are good for (lol, joking...sort of).
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8874 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
fenomenon wrote: I have the auto-rebalance mortgage/HELOC product with MCAP also. Big banks will do HELOC as 2nd position. I used to have TD as 2nd position HELOC before I got the auto-rebalance HELOC. My TD HELOC rate was same as other competitive HELOC rates.

I find HELOC at big banks have advantage if you need to access your money immediately. You can just go to the branch and get a draft/cash. With MCAP HELOC, you need to call in, make a request, and then they deposit the money into your bank account in around 2 business days. Also there's a $1.50 charge. So it depends if immediate access is important to you or if you want an auto-rebalance HELOC.
MCAP's Fusion product, Manulife's One product and National Banks AIO product (although they now have extra fees) are the only automatic re-advanceable HELOCs I know.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Sep 9, 2008
621 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: No, max LTV for a HELOC is 65%. Your mortgage is already at 71.9% LTV. You have to do an all-in-one product, you can't get a HELOC setup separately.
Why can't I get a HELOC for the remaining 8.1% (80-71.9) equity which is roughly 47k?