HELP - 2012 Honda Civic LX - Car Battery Dead

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 5:30 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes

HELP - 2012 Honda Civic LX - Car Battery Dead

Hi all, I need some help. My 2012 Honda Civic LX (1.8L) car battery is pretty much dead. Can someone kindly suggest what battery I need to buy as a replacement? Not very familar with car batteries. Any stores you would recommened? Costco / Canadian Tire?
Is it easy to install myself? Not sure how COVID will impact things. Also, don't need the best battery just something that works at a reasonable cost.

From my research I found: Energizer 51R AGM Battery from Costco for $200 but not sure if its compatible?

Really appreciate your help! Thanks and stay safe!
18 replies
Nov 6, 2014
748 posts
1142 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
AGM is top of the line. Just goto walmart. Should be $125ish.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1333 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
Car battery dead as in it won't hold its charge? Because you know you can call someone to give you a boost...

But if you need to replace, one from Costco/Walmart will do. Not sure about compatibility though.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12273 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
NateTO3 wrote: Also, don't need the best battery just something that works at a reasonable cost.
I would suggest skipping the AGM-type battery then. 51R seems to be the correct size. Wal-Mart and Costco should have them in stock.
Deal with it.
Sep 19, 2013
842 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
OEM Honda battery 31500-SR1-100M can be had from Toronto Honda for $120
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
Electrah wrote: Car battery dead as in it won't hold its charge? Because you know you can call someone to give you a boost...

But if you need to replace, one from Costco/Walmart will do. Not sure about compatibility though.
I gave it a boost, but it seems to be a re-occuring problem. Seeing a decline in battery performance and has been the 2nd time it has died on me in the past month. I could tell it was weak when starting up the car.
Jan 20, 2013
174 posts
268 upvotes
Cold Lake
It's very easy to DIY, you just need a 10/12mm wrench.
Mar 7, 2011
116 posts
100 upvotes
Ontario
51R seems to be the right size. When I changed my own in the past, mainly just looked at the warranty and CCA rating (battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures, the higher the better). For your situation and car's age, I'd go for a non-AGM one like others are saying.

I've used a non-AGM one from Canadian Tire for 4 years without problems. Coincidentally the tutorial video is of a Civic: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 05185.html

Also, once you change the battery, bring the old one back to the store and they will refund you the $20 core charge.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1500 posts
1932 upvotes
Atlantic
car-batteries-faq-general-information-t ... s-2161758/

51R is the right size.

Don't get an AGM. Overpriced and it likely won't last that much longer than a flooded battery to justify the cost. Also needs a higher voltage for charge, something your alternator may or may not be capable of providing.

Make sure your alternator is good/working properly.
Dec 4, 2017
319 posts
286 upvotes
Just bought one last week at Costco in Ontario, $105 for fitment code 11 which is 51R. 100 months warranty, can't go wrong. Costco only charged $10 refundable core fee.

10 mins battery swap using 10mm socket wrench. You will need your radio code to unlock the radio afterwards.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12384 posts
3607 upvotes
GTA
+1 for Costco

Do yourself a favour and bring the dead battery with you, so you can avoid the core ( recycling) charge. Not sure if you may have to pay it at the cashier first and then get refunded.

One of the easiest DIY jobs on a car that you can do. Make sure to clean the clamps with a wire brush or steel wool before attaching back.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 25, 2019
270 posts
113 upvotes
NateTO3 wrote: Hi all, I need some help. My 2012 Honda Civic LX (1.8L) car battery is pretty much dead. Can someone kindly suggest what battery I need to buy as a replacement? Not very familar with car batteries. Any stores you would recommened? Costco / Canadian Tire?
Is it easy to install myself? Not sure how COVID will impact things. Also, don't need the best battery just something that works at a reasonable cost.

From my research I found: Energizer 51R AGM Battery from Costco for $200 but not sure if its compatible?

Really appreciate your help! Thanks and stay safe!
Watch this before you make a purchase

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2645 upvotes
Depending on what type of a battery you decide to buy (AGM vs. lead-acid) consider also investing in a trickle charger. There are many threads here regarding this subject.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6046 posts
2379 upvotes
West GTEH!
Another vote for Costco Kirkland battery.
I've purchased my last 3 batteries from Costco. They've all lasted 5-7 years. And Costco will honour the warranty on a pro-rated basis.
There's a book near the battery shelf that identifies the battery size for your Civic.
😎
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16486 posts
9282 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NateTO3 wrote: I gave it a boost, but it seems to be a re-occuring problem. Seeing a decline in battery performance and has been the 2nd time it has died on me in the past month. I could tell it was weak when starting up the car.
Unless you charge the battery up with an external charger (ie not running the car for an hour and hoping the car will fully charge a dead battery because it won't), the battery will continue to be low and you see exactly what you are seeing.

Using an external car battery charger, charge the battery fully (ie will take several hours), then get the battery tested.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13859 posts
8909 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Costco, yeah it's worth it to buy the membership just for the battery.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 19, 2013
842 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
Costco Kirkland batteries are great but from my experience the Costcos in Markham and Richmond Hill never carry 51 or 51R for whatever reason