Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2010
21 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Help! Advice for party menu

I'm having a Halloween party and thus far, my guest count is rounded out to about 45 (extra guests included). I don't consider this to be dinner party by any means (starts at 11pm), but I'd still like to serve my guests some food (if you're late and it runs out too bad!). Having gone back and forth with my menu I've decided to make things as simple and cheap as possible and serve good old (oven baked/grilled) chicken and rice and a few other sides. My dilemma is trying to figure out what the most value and bang for my buck is in determining which cuts of chicken to buy / what will stretch the most. My options are:

Option 1: $43 for a case of 40lb/18kg chicken leg quarters
Option 2: $9 each for a choice of either 16 legs/pack (4.4lb/2kg) or 12 thighs/pack (3.3lb/1.5kg)
*Let's hypothetically base option 2 on each guest eating 2-3 pieces of chicken

I know leg quarters often require a little prep work (trimming fat/excess skin etc) - which I genuinely don't mind if it means it saves me some $$. Do you think one case of it will suffice? Or does it just make more sense to go with the legs/thighs. I'm not very good at gauging/estimating so any input will be appreciated...
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20289 posts
1843 upvotes
Toronto
For 45 people and a party (but not dinner party).....best is finger food...

Like little sandwiches, cut up veggies, chicken nuggets, spring rolls etc....

Chicken and rice seems like it will be awkward to eat and seems like more work for you (and clean-up!)

You want fillers....and fillers that are inexpensive (like spring rolls, fried stuff etc)......
[OP]
Aug 30, 2010
21 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote:
Oct 30th, 2013 2:05 pm
For 45 people and a party (but not dinner party).....best is finger food...

Like little sandwiches, cut up veggies, chicken nuggets, spring rolls etc....

Chicken and rice seems like it will be awkward to eat and seems like more work for you (and clean-up!)

You want fillers....and fillers that are inexpensive (like spring rolls, fried stuff etc)......

It definitely makes sense to do it that way theoretically and practically......but I come from a Caribbean background and it's commonplace to serve foods that are more meal oriented at our parties - regardless of the nature. My question hence was more about which options make more sense as I've pretty much decided what to serve....
May 14, 2010
558 posts
79 upvotes
Mississauga
My time is worth more than saving a few dollars, I'd get enough of the individual packaged stuff for one of each per guest.
11 pm is really late to be eating heavy food. (I would do the same thing and make a meal(ish) for my guests)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6465 posts
1810 upvotes
Markham
Since you're from Carribean background why not do Jerk chicken and pork with rice and peas. Stick to option 1 as it works out to little over $1/lb.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
68 upvotes
I’m with the finger food crowd too, something very low maintenance and can be eaten at room temperature. For a party starting at 11, you really don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen trying to keep things warm
- Mini satay chicken / beef
- Meatballs (if you are still looking for something more substantial – meatballs in a crock pot take little work and have a basket of buns beside)
- Ham or porketta (let people cut their own) and again, buns
- Mini quiche
- Deviled eggs
- Samosas
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20289 posts
1843 upvotes
Toronto
nadiao wrote:
Oct 30th, 2013 2:10 pm
It definitely makes sense to do it that way theoretically and practically......but I come from a Caribbean background and it's commonplace to serve foods that are more meal oriented at our parties - regardless of the nature. My question hence was more about which options make more sense as I've pretty much decided what to serve....
lol....ok....if menu has been decided then below is the logical choice for best bang for your buck.... :arrowd:

And get two cases if you think most are bigger eaters (meal eating vs. party noshing to have a bit of food with alcohol)
gr8dlr wrote:
Oct 30th, 2013 7:52 pm
Since you're from Carribean background why not do Jerk chicken and pork with rice and peas. Stick to option 1 as it works out to little over $1/lb.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2791 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why people aren't suggesting Pickle Barrel party sandwiches. You can't call it a party without htem.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
991 upvotes
N/A
just go get some patties from Randy's or Allen's or something.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”