Shopping Discussion

HELP!!! (anyone else overwhelmed by the deals that are posted here?)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 10:15 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 24, 2010
104 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver

HELP!!! (anyone else overwhelmed by the deals that are posted here?)

Too many great deals!!!!

I don't know if I love or hate this site.
I don't know if I am saving money or wasting money.
I don't know if I am finding stuff I need or stuff I want.

Am I alone or does everyone go through this?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Feb 21st, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
17 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It’s not a deal if :

You cannot afford it
You don’t really need it

Or

If you assume it’s a deal ... because someone told you so
(Best way to know a deal ... is to KNOW THY PRICES)

And NOTHING IS A BARGAIN
If the trade off is too big

Example ... lots of threads on people buying from less than reputable retailers
Then finding they’ve handed off their money to “a fantasy deal”
That never happens

Or ... the quality of the item bought is CRAP

Time is Money TOO
So wasting time on deals that aren’t real deals chasing down Customer Service, Refunds, etc
Is the biggest time & money waster by far

PS ... I rarely read the HOT DEALS FORUM
My primary focus is on saving money on my day to day needs & expenses
Like with Banking, Credit Cards, Utilities, Groceries, Gasoline etc
In that way I end up having MORE MONEY
For the things I really enjoy ... Investing / Retirement - Travel - Entertainment etc

Most of what I use / NEED from RFD is found in the DISCUSSION FORUMS ...
Like this the SHOPPING FORUM
Where folks share info based on REAL LIFE LIVING & EXPERIENCES
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15830 posts
21583 upvotes
Vancouver
There are two kinds of RFDers:
  1. Those who use the site to save money by finding good prices on stuff they wanted to buy, and
  2. Those who use the site to lose money, because the lure of "a deal" is so strong that they buy stuff they don't need or even want just because it's "a deal".

If you're the first type, like @PointsHubby and me, RFD is a great site. You sound like the second type. Be very, very careful, because for Type 2, RFD is like crack.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Shopaholic Anonymous meets every Thursday night.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15096 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT AND CANCEL YOUR INTERNET!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7777 posts
1808 upvotes
Scarborough
There are no deals.

You want deals you go to America. Here is all overpriced junk.

Save your money only buy what you really need. Dont hoard useless stuff, rather sell it off and make cash
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15088 upvotes
GTA, ON
I have a great deal for you then... it's called a pyramid (scheme). :D

Only buy what you need, not what you want. If you can't handle RFD, you better stay away from E-Bates (Rakuten).
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20562 posts
9077 upvotes
Toronto
What deals? Looks like good deals have dried up over the years.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18559 posts
13354 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: There are two kinds of RFDers:
  1. Those who use the site to save money by finding good prices on stuff they wanted to buy, and
  2. Those who use the site to lose money, because the lure of "a deal" is so strong that they buy stuff they don't need or even want just because it's "a deal".
If you're the first type, like @PointsHubby and me, RFD is a great site. You sound like the second type. Be very, very careful, because for Type 2, RFD is like crack.

You're missing one other "kind"...ie the - if "I can make any money flipper", I'll buy as many as I can to resell.

That kind is definitely not welcome/liked on this site. Eg. the ppl who recently bought gas water heater for $125 (IIRC) and reselling for $1000+.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
8029 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
When MahjongManiac was still in RFD, YES.

The past years, nothing get much of my attention, except the bonus $ on bank promo specially the CCS and the National Bank. Lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15830 posts
21583 upvotes
Vancouver
cgtlky wrote: When MahjongManiac was still in RFD, YES.

The past years, nothing get much of my attention, except the bonus $ on bank promo specially the CCS and the National Bank. Lol
+1
Without RFD I would never have known about the HSBC promo (made over $900 on that) and the Amex Gold promo (RIP, got $1000 of value on that one)
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
3147 posts
1189 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: You're missing one other "kind"...ie the - if "I can make any money flipper", I'll buy as many as I can to resell.

That kind is definitely not welcome/liked on this site. Eg. the ppl who recently bought gas water heater for $125 (IIRC) and reselling for $1000+.
I
What water heater deal?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37704 posts
5462 upvotes
Winnipeg
Deal is getting more rare these days.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
26900 posts
6132 upvotes
Good thing you weren't here 10 years ago, your head would have exploded.

There are still deals, but they aren't blow your socks off deals like we used to see a lot of.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 6, 2017
1703 posts
1165 upvotes
Manitoba
Is it your first year? Then yes, FOMO is a bitch...

However once you get over that stage, then the information/perspectives you get here in the Forums will open up your mind. Whether that is good or bad, that is up to you.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2187 posts
2730 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
There's too many deals bro. I wish RFD had an option to hide threads in Hot Deals so that they don't keep popping up once viewed.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
26900 posts
6132 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: There's too many deals bro. I wish RFD had an option to hide threads in Hot Deals so that they don't keep popping up once viewed.
You can hide threads. Go into your account settings and enable that feature

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)