Cell Phones

HELP: best plan if want new phone?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2020 8:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12654 posts
3195 upvotes
Montréal

HELP: best plan if want new phone?

Spouse is looking for new phone. W Virgin paying 28.25$ TOTAL, which seems decent as unlimited Canada calling, voicemail, texting, on a month-to-month. Would it make better sense just to buy any phone (new) and switch the SIM card or have to seek another plan/provider?

Reasons to upgrade from her ancient Moto G:
.mainly better camera to shoot decent videos (present phone sucks as limited in length and in quality…inadequate memory)
.Faster interface (Moto G dreadfully slow startup)

TX.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Feb 1st, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
18 replies
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2019
133 posts
91 upvotes
What's your budget on a cell phone?

Your plan is not that great by today's standards, you can get 1 GB at 3G speed then unlimited throttled data with U/L Canada talk and international text for $25 on auto pay with Lucky Mobile.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12654 posts
3195 upvotes
Montréal
LeifS39303 wrote: What's your budget on a cell phone?

Your plan is not that great by today's standards, you can get 1 GB at 3G speed then unlimited throttled data with U/L Canada talk and international text for $25 on auto pay with Lucky Mobile.
I'm not entirely sure, maybe 100$ max but wouldn't mind being stuck in a plan for a 'free' phone.

Appreciate data but not really a need for us esp since they have a limit and we dread going over, if they come up w/ unlimited data plans, then I'll consider....or is throttled unlimited acceptable/usable? We are perfectly fine w/ free wifi.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7271 posts
4734 upvotes
Canada
tranquility922 wrote: I'm not entirely sure, maybe 100$ max but wouldn't mind being stuck in a plan for a 'free' phone.

Appreciate data but not really a need for us esp since they have a limit and we dread going over, if they come up w/ unlimited data plans, then I'll consider....or is throttled unlimited acceptable/usable? We are perfectly fine w/ free wifi.
It's 1GB data at 3mbps speeds, and then reduced to 128kbps for "unlimited use".
It's probably not enough to cover 100% of all mobile data/wifi usage, but it does help when you are outside and there's no wifi or the wifi is slow/insecure/public. At home, use your home wifi. It's cheaper than your current plan, so why not?
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12654 posts
3195 upvotes
Montréal
LeifS39303 wrote: Would recommend the LG K30 on Lucky Mobile, it's $140 and has a 8 MP camera. Link:
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LMX320WM
The $25 plan has unlimited data (1 GB then slows down to 128 Kbps.)
TX, how's the K20? Seems virtually same but 30$ cheaper?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jr. Member
Nov 16, 2014
174 posts
67 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I'm no expert but I don't think you'll get a good camera with a cheap phone. I've had Moto G, Moto G3, and now Moto G5 and the cameras are terrible compared to the cheapest iPhone or a better Android phone. I think you'll have to actually try a phone to see if the camera is what you want.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12654 posts
3195 upvotes
Montréal
Pingu99 wrote: I'm no expert but I don't think you'll get a good camera with a cheap phone. I've had Moto G, Moto G3, and now Moto G5 and the cameras are terrible compared to the cheapest iPhone or a better Android phone. I think you'll have to actually try a phone to see if the camera is what you want.
For sure the Moto G camera is horrible that's why she wants to switch. I think any decent phone like the LG someone here suggested is good enough.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
$100 for a phone. Lucky to get one with a camera for that price.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12654 posts
3195 upvotes
Montréal
will888 wrote: $100 for a phone. Lucky to get one with a camera for that price.
Well, just on that website the K20 is 110$, not sure what you're talking about. *shrug* Btw, do they even sell new phones that *don't* come w a camera??
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2008
503 posts
120 upvotes
mississauga
i have a umidigi A5 pro since september, pretty happy so far, $135 canadian
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12176 posts
1684 upvotes
Kanata
tranquility922 wrote: Well, just on that website the K20 is 110$, not sure what you're talking about. *shrug* Btw, do they even sell new phones that *don't* come w a camera??
Probably not but expecting a good camera on a $100 phone isn't realistic. I guess it depends on your definition of "good".
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12654 posts
3195 upvotes
Montréal
goofball wrote: Probably not but expecting a good camera on a $100 phone isn't realistic. I guess it depends on your definition of "good".
I guess but what is better, some studio quality cam? 8MP seems decent, not sure how much better it can get and I'm not shelling out 1,000$ for a simple phone, that's insane imo.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>

Top