Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal

HELP: best plan if want new phone?

Spouse is looking for new phone. W Virgin paying 28.25$ TOTAL, which seems decent as unlimited Canada calling, voicemail, texting, on a month-to-month. Would it make better sense just to buy any phone (new) and switch the SIM card or have to seek another plan/provider?

Reasons to upgrade from her ancient Moto G:
.mainly better camera to shoot decent videos (present phone sucks as limited in length and in quality…inadequate memory)
.Faster interface (Moto G dreadfully slow startup)

TX.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Feb 1st, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
18 replies
Apr 25, 2019
292 posts
424 upvotes
What's your budget on a cell phone?

Your plan is not that great by today's standards, you can get 1 GB at 3G speed then unlimited throttled data with U/L Canada talk and international text for $25 on auto pay with Lucky Mobile.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
LeifS39303 wrote: What's your budget on a cell phone?

Your plan is not that great by today's standards, you can get 1 GB at 3G speed then unlimited throttled data with U/L Canada talk and international text for $25 on auto pay with Lucky Mobile.
I'm not entirely sure, maybe 100$ max but wouldn't mind being stuck in a plan for a 'free' phone.

Appreciate data but not really a need for us esp since they have a limit and we dread going over, if they come up w/ unlimited data plans, then I'll consider....or is throttled unlimited acceptable/usable? We are perfectly fine w/ free wifi.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7588 posts
5072 upvotes
Canada
tranquility922 wrote: I'm not entirely sure, maybe 100$ max but wouldn't mind being stuck in a plan for a 'free' phone.

Appreciate data but not really a need for us esp since they have a limit and we dread going over, if they come up w/ unlimited data plans, then I'll consider....or is throttled unlimited acceptable/usable? We are perfectly fine w/ free wifi.
It's 1GB data at 3mbps speeds, and then reduced to 128kbps for "unlimited use".
It's probably not enough to cover 100% of all mobile data/wifi usage, but it does help when you are outside and there's no wifi or the wifi is slow/insecure/public. At home, use your home wifi. It's cheaper than your current plan, so why not?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
LeifS39303 wrote: Would recommend the LG K30 on Lucky Mobile, it's $140 and has a 8 MP camera. Link:
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LMX320WM
The $25 plan has unlimited data (1 GB then slows down to 128 Kbps.)
TX, how's the K20? Seems virtually same but 30$ cheaper?
Nov 16, 2014
184 posts
76 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I'm no expert but I don't think you'll get a good camera with a cheap phone. I've had Moto G, Moto G3, and now Moto G5 and the cameras are terrible compared to the cheapest iPhone or a better Android phone. I think you'll have to actually try a phone to see if the camera is what you want.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
Pingu99 wrote: I'm no expert but I don't think you'll get a good camera with a cheap phone. I've had Moto G, Moto G3, and now Moto G5 and the cameras are terrible compared to the cheapest iPhone or a better Android phone. I think you'll have to actually try a phone to see if the camera is what you want.
For sure the Moto G camera is horrible that's why she wants to switch. I think any decent phone like the LG someone here suggested is good enough.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19687 posts
7794 upvotes
Toronto
$100 for a phone. Lucky to get one with a camera for that price.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
will888 wrote: $100 for a phone. Lucky to get one with a camera for that price.
Well, just on that website the K20 is 110$, not sure what you're talking about. *shrug* Btw, do they even sell new phones that *don't* come w a camera??
Jun 21, 2008
533 posts
139 upvotes
mississauga
i have a umidigi A5 pro since september, pretty happy so far, $135 canadian
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12304 posts
1848 upvotes
Kanata
tranquility922 wrote: Well, just on that website the K20 is 110$, not sure what you're talking about. *shrug* Btw, do they even sell new phones that *don't* come w a camera??
Probably not but expecting a good camera on a $100 phone isn't realistic. I guess it depends on your definition of "good".
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
goofball wrote: Probably not but expecting a good camera on a $100 phone isn't realistic. I guess it depends on your definition of "good".
I guess but what is better, some studio quality cam? 8MP seems decent, not sure how much better it can get and I'm not shelling out 1,000$ for a simple phone, that's insane imo.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12304 posts
1848 upvotes
Kanata
tranquility922 wrote: I guess but what is better, some studio quality cam? 8MP seems decent, not sure how much better it can get and I'm not shelling out 1,000$ for a simple phone, that's insane imo.
MP count is not representative of quality. You don't need to spend $1000's, you just need to temper your expectations if you're buying a $100 phone. You'd be better off finding a used phone like maybe an older S6/S7, which will have a much better camera than any of these new $100 phones. I'm definitely not advocating spending a ton of money, you just need to spend wisely and depending on how important a feature is, to adjust your budget to accommodate.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
goofball wrote: MP count is not representative of quality. You don't need to spend $1000's, you just need to temper your expectations if you're buying a $100 phone. You'd be better off finding a used phone like maybe an older S6/S7, which will have a much better camera than any of these new $100 phones. I'm definitely not advocating spending a ton of money, you just need to spend wisely and depending on how important a feature is, to adjust your budget to accommodate.
I dunno what high standards ppl want. I have a LG G5 and that's good enough. I'm sure the K20 is even better. Only want to buy new.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14144 posts
3939 upvotes
Montréal
LeifS39303 wrote: What's your budget on a cell phone?

Revisiting this plan, what is the provider pls, and is it reliable? Better than Virgin and Zoomer?

Silly question, I never used data before, anything I need to watch out for, although for this plan, it's unlimited so I don't see anything.

On second thought, I'd probably be just switching providers if everything goes as planned.

TX.
Apr 25, 2019
292 posts
424 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Revisiting this plan, what is the provider pls, and is it reliable? Better than Virgin and Zoomer?

Silly question, I never used data before, anything I need to watch out for, although for this plan, it's unlimited so I don't see anything.

On second thought, I'd probably be just switching providers if everything goes as planned.

TX.
Virgin and Lucky are owned and operated by Bell, so they use the same towers as Bell and Virgin. So I wouldn't worry about network quality as it is pretty much the same as Virgin and Bell. The data is pretty fast unless you're downloading a movie.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25