Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 13, 2010
69 posts
17 upvotes
Burlington, ON

HELP! Building a shed base on a slop

Finally I decided to build a patio stone shed base. The sheds I will be put on is the Costco one (8'x10').

I plan to digging down about 8-9 inches. First landscaping fabric and then 6" of HPB(High Performance Bedding) compacted and then patio stone (24"x30" size).

The base will be located on the back corner where a birch tree is on right now. My yard is sloped toward the back and I have been told HPB needs to be contained or it will not hold at the edge(I worry about the back where the lower point won't be 8" deep) . Can I have some suggestion how to solve this problem? You might also noticed there drain ditch all around the yard. Yes, I do have a catch basin at the other corner. That's why I don't want to leave the shed base below the ditch level. By the way, do I need any weeping tile or french drain around the base?

Please point me with a right direction. Thanks guys!

[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/ ... 1416_1.jpg[/IMG]
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1079 posts
444 upvotes
Grimsby
Sounds like you will likely need to use a bit of a retaining wall around the back base of the shed where the grade drops off. You could do the whole perimeter of the shed base in a bit of a retaining wall where at the front it will be completely level with the grade, and at the back it will sticking above grade.

Depending how severe the grade is (hard to tell in the picture), you may need to do a couple rows (height wise) of retaining blocks on the back as the first row should be below grade.

EDIT: Another solution may be to build the shed base as a deck. Bury a couple 6x6" posts at the corners (and maybe two in the middle length), and then build a deck essentially off these posts.

Kind of like this with 6x6" posts instead, and 2x6's instead of 2x4's. Then plywood on top to complete your base. Just an option.

[IMG]http://www.leisurebuildings.com/acatalo ... ground.jpg[/IMG]
The worst part about prison was the Dementors. - Michael Scott

My Basement Reno Project
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15506 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Pier and post like Affro mentioned.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Nov 13, 2010
69 posts
17 upvotes
Burlington, ON
aprofetto wrote: Sounds like you will likely need to use a bit of a retaining wall around the back base of the shed where the grade drops off. You could do the whole perimeter of the shed base in a bit of a retaining wall where at the front it will be completely level with the grade, and at the back it will sticking above grade.

Depending how severe the grade is (hard to tell in the picture), you may need to do a couple rows (height wise) of retaining blocks on the back as the first row should be below grade.

EDIT: Another solution may be to build the shed base as a deck. Bury a couple 6x6" posts at the corners (and maybe two in the middle length), and then build a deck essentially off these posts.

Kind of like this with 6x6" posts instead, and 2x6's instead of 2x4's. Then plywood on top to complete your base. Just an option.

[IMG]http://www.leisurebuildings.com/acatalo ... ground.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks aprofetto! I will try your method with the retaining wall box. By the way, do you think 6" of HPB is overkill for this?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1247 posts
280 upvotes
Want to hear how your shed base turned out gtdeal. I had a similar design in mind too and my backyard also has a slope. Did it turn out ok?