• Jul 26th, 2018 3:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1426 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto

Help with buying a 2018 Sante Fe

Hey guys, looking to finance my first car. Been a big fan of the Sante Fe design, but I did notice the new design looks great as well. The dealer offered the 2018 AWD 2.0T ultimate all in for $44,520 (530/mo). I don't know too much about cars, I like that this one has a lot of loaded features. For this all in price range, 2 questions: 1. Could I get it lower? 2. Any comparable for this price range?

Also as a first time financier, what would I expect to pay the day I pick it up?

41 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26068 posts
11141 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Hyundai website and price it out online. It will have all the fees, factory credit and taxes shown there. Then for dealer side discount, simply take the msrp price and deduct x% off + taxes and subtract from the online prices shown and you will get your desired price to offer to dealer
May 20, 2017
564 posts
310 upvotes
ON
On top of the $6000 Hyundai discount, you got another $1500 discount which is pretty good price wise.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1209 posts
1190 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote: You wrote that you do not know much about cars. So before thinking about financing/money issues you should first educate yourself about the possible products available to you. A good place to start is Consumer Reports. Also go to dealers of various brands and test drive competing models. It is too soon for you to narrow your choice to a specific vehicle. After you have educated yourself consider if buying used would be a better choice for you.

You should do your homework given that for most people the purchase of a vehicle is the second biggest purchase after a house. And don't be impulsive about your purchase. You must learn to bargain and be prepare to walk away from a purchase if the other party isn't accommodating enough.
What this guy says. I also think 44k for a vehicle is UNreasonable, unless you make lots of money (which you may). Any practical person would be quick to state that you can almost get 2 vehicles for the price of your 1 (vehicle).
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: You wrote that you do not know much about cars. So before thinking about financing/money issues you should first educate yourself about the possible products available to you. A good place to start is Consumer Reports. Also go to dealers of various brands and test drive competing models. It is too soon for you to narrow your choice to a specific vehicle. After you have educated yourself consider if buying used would be a better choice for you.

You should do your homework given that for most people the purchase of a vehicle is the second biggest purchase after a house. And don't be impulsive about your purchase. You must learn to bargain and be prepare to walk away from a purchase if the other party isn't accommodating enough.
I don't think you are helping him by advising him on shopping around for a Volvo or BMW SUV. Let him start with an entry-level SUV. But I am shocked a Hyundai can cost $42,000.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2272 posts
1520 upvotes
Markham
MusicBox wrote: I don't think you are helping him by advising him on shopping around for a Volvo or BMW SUV. Let him start with an entry-level SUV. But I am shocked a Hyundai can cost $42,000.
Why the surprise? Even the tiniest basic FWD CUV will for the most part will cost people all in about $25K taxes pending per province. Sure most people won't buy the top of the line trim like the OP hence most Santa Fes will likely fall under $37K all in. Simply going by MSRP you could spec a Kia Sorento into the $48K and all in will hit the $50K mark even with Alberta's taxes should you not bother with negotiations. If the market continues to dictate huge preference for CUVs over cars then the days of a inexpensive new car would be dead since we already have automakers abandoning subcompact to even the mid size class cars which have always been way better value for the money than CUVs.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
14030 posts
11083 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Slono wrote: What this guy says. I also think 44k for a vehicle is UNreasonable, unless you make lots of money (which you may). Any practical person would be quick to state that you can almost get 2 vehicles for the price of your 1 (vehicle).
That's your opinion. There are those that make $30k and buy $40k cars and ones that make $200k buying $20k cars...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10817 posts
3108 upvotes
Toronto
Slono wrote: What this guy says. I also think 44k for a vehicle is UNreasonable, unless you make lots of money (which you may). Any practical person would be quick to state that you can almost get 2 vehicles for the price of your 1 (vehicle).
So anyone who is driving a 44k+ car on the road is unreasonable?
You stated that you are from GTA, go around your neighbor and see how many cars are worth 44k+.

You know a brand new well equipped Toyota Minivan (Sienna) on the road can be somewhere close 55-60k, and you can buy 3 Toyota Yaris with that money.
Just because 44k seems expensive to you doesn't mean that it is expensive to others. You don't need to make tons of money to afford a 44k Santa Fae.

If 44k on a Santa Fae is unreasonable, I wonder what are those people that drive a 90k BMW X5 or Volvo XC90. Those must be serious mental issues in your standard, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1426 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Lmao a lot of interesting comments in here, thanks guys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have to know I will be okay with the design being outdated so fast. Key for me is the AWD. Otherwise there are models at a more cheaper rate. I like the CX-5 but it comes with less features, at a slightly higher price.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1209 posts
1190 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: So anyone who is driving a 44k+ car on the road is unreasonable?
You stated that you are from GTA, go around your neighbor and see how many cars are worth 44k+.

You know a brand new well equipped Toyota Minivan (Sienna) on the road can be somewhere close 55-60k, and you can buy 3 Toyota Yaris with that money.
Just because 44k seems expensive to you doesn't mean that it is expensive to others. You don't need to make tons of money to afford a 44k Santa Fae.

If 44k on a Santa Fae is unreasonable, I wonder what are those people that drive a 90k BMW X5 or Volvo XC90. Those must be serious mental issues in your standard, lol
You sound angry, but are very much entitled to your opinion. Thank you for starting a discussion, this is what RFD is about!
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: So anyone who is driving a 44k+ car on the road is unreasonable?

Its very simple to avoid these headaches, dont buy new, buy used. When I was shopping for a car I would see mint-condition Toyota Rav-4's for $11,000, fully loaded. Even for that I opted out. Bought a 2004 minivan, it has power everything and air conditioner. Paid $1,700 for it and in 3 years I have only put fuel and air in the tires on it.

By doing this Im putting $500 a month in my bank account for the next 72 months, or 84 months.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1099 posts
469 upvotes
York Region
MusicBox wrote: Its very simple to avoid these headaches, dont buy new, buy used. When I was shopping for a car I would see mint-condition Toyota Rav-4's for $11,000, fully loaded. Even for that I opted out. Bought a 2004 minivan, it has power everything and air conditioner. Paid $1,700 for it and in 3 years I have only put fuel and air in the tires on it.

By doing this Im putting $500 a month in my bank account for the next 72 months, or 84 months.
$1700? Wow you got scammed. I paid $260 for a lady driven, non smoker, never redlined 97 Dodge Caravan and only put gas in it.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4820 posts
896 upvotes
Montreal
I would buy a Hyundai/Kia new as its depreciation is scary due to its previous reputation.
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
380 upvotes
Montreal
skidragoon wrote: Lmao a lot of interesting comments in here, thanks guys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have to know I will be okay with the design being outdated so fast. Key for me is the AWD. Otherwise there are models at a more cheaper rate. I like the CX-5 but it comes with less features, at a slightly higher price.
I would wait for the new one to be released before pulling the trigger. You can actually compare between the two, and by then, the dealers should be even more motivated to move the old model.

AWD has not changed (Hyundai's implementation is pretty average). Same engines as last model. New 8-speed auto, yielding a 4% better fuel economy, which isn't much. More high-strength steel on the new one, which means more comfortable/quiet ride, safer, better handling -though don't expect either models to handle well. The biggest improvement is visual imo; the new one just looks more elegant, sleeker, the outgoing's interior shows its age.

The CX-5's in a smaller class of vehicles and not a really good comparison imo. If you plan on having more than 1 kid, the Santa Fe is a no-brainer. CX-5 should be much better on fuel, much better handler. The Santa Fe Sport's a pig on fuel for its size, and corners like a larger vehicle imo. But the latter will have more features, much more room, just a better family hauler.

CX-5 will likely keep its value better than the Santa Fe, especially an outgoing model. It would be interesting to research on blackbook what your expected costs for each vehicle would be for the duration you're planning to keep them for.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21881 posts
2516 upvotes
The car is getting redesigned.
Same with the RAV4

Can you wait?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)