• Jul 26th, 2015 10:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 24, 2015
1 posts
Brampton

Help with cable!

Hi, I just bought a new HDTV with ASTC/Qam capabilities upgrading from my 8 years old TV. I thought that with these I would get the free basic cable like I got before the move to digital from the cable companies. After plugging into the wall and auto scan, I get zero channels. Does this mean that off the wall cable is no longer free and you must pay to Rogers to get any channels? Is Antenna the only way to get the free Basic cable back? Thanks in advance for help.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19305 posts
6585 upvotes
Toronto
You cannot get free basic cable any longer. Cable TV providers discontinued analog service a while ago. If you want cable channels, you will have to get a box and subscribe.

You can use an antenna to get free OTA channels. Depending on where the antenna is located, you could pick up the major Canadian (CityTV, CBC, etc.) and American (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.) channels.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
Basic analog cable was never free technically, it was just sometimes not worth their trouble to send someone out to put a blocking filter on the line. One of the reasons the cable companies wanted to go all digital is to eliminate this need - now all channels are encrypted and you need an authorized receiver.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: Basic analog cable was never free technically, it was just sometimes not worth their trouble to send someone out to put a blocking filter on the line. One of the reasons the cable companies wanted to go all digital is to eliminate this need - now all channels are encrypted and you need an authorized receiver.
Wow, someone actually thought there was free cable, what is more surprising is that generation Y don't even know what rabbit ears are ! ...LoL
Ted Rogers was right, he said he made his million because once people paid for a subscription they kept on paying even if they didn't even watch it !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)