Home & Garden

Help! Can helical pile or anything be done to save this structure?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2021 4:53 pm
Mar 30, 2020
1 posts

Help! Can helical pile or anything be done to save this structure?

Hey I am wondering what can be done? Basically without having to knock down this structure?

Some dummy built this addition like this. Can helical piles be used on an existing structure?

• BB60122E-49D0-41AB-8BCC-2C512967F3D4.jpeg
    5BE076E2-5AE5-4B6E-949A-53D38776AD22.jpeg
    7FCFB8AB-177F-4492-8C9F-5032F09FA1AC.jpeg
5 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
looks like someone already raised it from the damage on the 2x6. Dig and use cinder blocks, install as you would if you were unpinning a basement. Do it in sections, new footings.
But yes, you could use piles, but depending on size weight I'd use blocks.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5634 upvotes
I would hire someone to both answer this question and to do it.

But that's just me.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4997 upvotes
Toronto
So that's an actual addition tied into your house?

Simple fix as a DIY, but if you want it fixed really well I'd get someone in to do it. Put in temp supports on either side of the corner support. Hydraulic bottle jack, lift a bit, get some blocks in there to hold up the corner. Remove the deck block etc. Dig dig dig - below the frost line. Sonotube, concrete, 6x6 saddle and a post to hold up the corner.

The way that corner is supports is horrible - it's not really doing anything as the 4x4 post is inside the rim joists and is held in with a few screws. The post needs to be notched and the rim joist sitting on the post, not outside it.

Then repeat on the other supports.

Are those floor joists 2x6? They don't look like 2x8. You'll need at least as many support points as they have now.

Of course this is all not to code, no permits etc. If you call for permits they'd likely tell you to tear it down. So unless there are other issues with it, and it's worth the investment, spend the $2000 or so it would likely cost to get someone out there to put some sonutube posts under it. Hard to tell if you need something in the center - the floor joists run the short way, so that end rim joist is the important one to hold up the floor. You could install joist hangers on all those joists easily enough.
Feb 26, 2019
626 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa
I don’t think anyone can give a reliable answer without full details on the structure. Simply not enough info in those pictures.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1403 posts
1684 upvotes
It's certainly possible to build a foundation under an existing structure. However, if the rest of the structure is equally sketchy, you'd be better off to tear it down.

What's visible does not inspire confidence. You may need to do a major overhaul just to make the addition safe.

Get a qualified professional to look at this ASAP.