• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2018 7:18 pm
Feb 22, 2018
24 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver

Help, can't vote or send private messages

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but I've made a a couple of posts (all of which needed mod approval). However, I can't create or respond to private messages, and I can't vote either. Visiting ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose gives me the error "You are not authorised to send private messages." Logging out and logging back in doesn't fix it. Can someone help me with this? Is there a certain number of posts I need to make before these options unlock?

Thanks!
12 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18196 posts
36555 upvotes
Scarborough
You have 3 posts now so I'm going to assume you now have access to both features. There is a 1 post requirement to PM and upvote. This is to prevent spam accounts from abusing both features. Once you hit 25 posts you'll be able to downvote.

------------------------

How to PM: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-pm-2402972/
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Feb 22, 2018
24 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Just checked, still not authorised to send private messages, no option I can see to reply to private messages. I made my first post several days ago before starting this thread.
Feb 22, 2018
24 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
ddraggy wrote: Just checked, still not authorised to send private messages, no option I can see to reply to private messages. I made my first post several days ago before starting this thread.
Is there anything I can do to fix the private messaging and upvoting from my end? I made my first post on Feb 23, and then another three posts, one per day, all requiring mod approval. Logged out and back in. I suspect my account is messed up somehow... as of Feb 28, no private messaging option. *cue violin*
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18196 posts
36555 upvotes
Scarborough
ddraggy wrote: Is there anything I can do to fix the private messaging and upvoting from my end? I made my first post on Feb 23, and then another three posts, one per day, all requiring mod approval. Logged out and back in. I suspect my account is messed up somehow... as of Feb 28, no private messaging option. *cue violin*
Give it a try now. Let me know if it works or not.
Feb 22, 2018
24 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
TomRFD wrote: Give it a try now. Let me know if it works or not.
It works now! Thank you very much :)
Mar 13, 2018
18 posts
28 upvotes
I am also new o RFD. not sure how to navigate through the system. Can you let me know how to unlock some of the features such as PM?
May 14, 2018
1 posts
I have two approved posts now but still no access to private messaging. Do you have any advice for how to resolve this?
Jul 19, 2018
1 posts
Bumping this old thread. I have an approved post but still can't find the PM button. Can anyone suggest a fix?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18196 posts
36555 upvotes
Scarborough
Rainy647 wrote: Bumping this old thread. I have an approved post but still can't find the PM button. Can anyone suggest a fix?
Posts in select forums don't count towards your cumulative total which is what you need to hit 1 to gain access to PM. Look at your profile box. If it's still showing 0 you won't be able to PM. If it's at 1 or higher you should be able to PM. If you can't PM and you have 1 or more posts send me a PM and I'll check your account.
Aug 15, 2018
1 posts
Posting here to access PM - hope that's okay. Thanks!
Aug 17, 2018
8 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks for the info
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18196 posts
36555 upvotes
Scarborough
The best way to get your first post approved is to find a thread of interest to you and then make an intelligent, on topic reply to it. If a members first post looks legitimate and is on topic, chances are it'll be approved.

It's harder to judge a real user from a spammer or bot by replies in a thread like this so I'm going to lock this up.