• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2019 5:31 pm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2007
21 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Help with Cantonese birthday banquet dinner - Richmond bc

Hi, based in Markham but need help with Cantonese birthday banquet dinner in Vancouver/ richmond.
Most of the online reviews focus on dimsum and lunch menu.
I m looking for banquet set dinner for 10.
I m familiar with Kirin, sun Sui wah. Also considering chef tony and fishermen terrace.
Do u think I can get set menu for 10 under $700? If yes, any recommendations?

In Toronto, we woulda eat at Grandeur palace, dragon boat fusion and casa Victoria. Thx.
12 replies
Dec 24, 2017
45 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
would depend on the dates you reserve. besides the places you mentioned. there is also Jade, Golden Paramount, Fortune Terrace and Empire for your consideration.
If the preference/palate more akin to Canadian Cantonese than SSW and Kirin should suffice. If more keen on HKG Cantonese CT, Golden Paramount and Jade would be a better bet.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2007
21 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thx have not heard of those restaurants before. Will check them out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8066 posts
4045 upvotes
You could also try OpenTable.com. Not sure how many Cantonese restaurants are on there but it could give you a sense of what's available.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5657 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Been here for dim sum (it was 2 double long Vancouver blocks and 1 1/2 short ones from my old house). Can't say it was that good popular as it was. Maybe that was for dim sum only.
Also you dishonor your ancestors unless you up your budget to $888.
If you wish to dishonor your ancestors, there are a couple menus below $700.
Gosh, I never heard of that but I don't have any Cantonese ancestry.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Been here for dim sum (it was 2 double long Vancouver blocks and 1 1/2 short ones from my old house). Can't say it was that good popular as it was. Maybe that was for dim sum only.
Oh weird. I heard Dim sum was good. I'm not a fan of it so I can't really comment.
DInner was fine. Tasted like every other Chinese seafood restaurant.
Gosh, I never heard of that but I don't have any Cantonese ancestry.
Chinese like 8s still right?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5657 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: Oh weird. I heard Dim sum was good. I'm not a fan of it so I can't really comment.
DIm sum quality seems to vary greatly in the same restaurant and literally one day from the next. It was big and coarse, not refined when I was there. Was at some outfit in H.K. (wedding parlour by night, dim sum palace in the morning/noon) while waiting for our ship. Great the first day so we went back the next. Same dishes, quality had deteriorated overnight. e.g., rice rolls had spring onions the first day, thin-sliced zucchini the next.
DInner was fine. Tasted like every other Chinese seafood restaurant.
Only if you can gather up a crowd and know what to order.
Chinese like 8s still right?
I've heard of those who don't care. I guess in some dialects, "eight" and "fortune/luck" are not homonyms.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: DIm sum quality seems to vary greatly in the same restaurant and literally one day from the next.
This annoys me to no end at every restaurant.
There's no faster way to kill a restaurant than inconsistency.
Only if you can gather up a crowd and know what to order.
I mean... this is true of every Chinese restaurant though.
I hate being a gwai lo. Even an English menu doesn't translate well and I don't know what half the stuff is called.
I've heard of those who don't care. I guess in some dialects, "eight" and "fortune/luck" are not homonyms.
Oh probably. It was mostly a joke to begin with anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5657 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: This annoys me to no end at every restaurant.
There's no faster way to kill a restaurant than inconsistency.
For some reason that doesn't seem to hurt dim sum places. My wife and I did go to a MrCormick (dead/moribund U.S. seafood chain) a decade ago. She liked the appetizer and main so much she ordered the same dishes again when we came back over a week later. Both dishes were not recognizable from the first iteration.
I mean... this is true of every Chinese restaurant though.
I hate being a gwai lo. Even an English menu doesn't translate well and I don't know what half the stuff is called.
Something about no descriptions just some poetic name, unless you're dining low-end. Apparently people in China won't necessarily know what's on the menu if they're not my the region or even locality.
Oh probably. It was mostly a joke to begin with anyways.
Some people take that w-a-a--y too seriously.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3177 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver
The ambience at Western Lake is not ideal compared to the other suggestions. It's a bad combination of small space, them trying to cram as many tables in there, and accommdating as many parties as possible in the evening. You invariably end up sitting elbow to elbow because they don't give you a big enough table AND you're pretty much touching the next table over. And not to mention they will rush you out within 1.5 hours or less. There's better dining experiences out there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
litebrite wrote: The ambience at Western Lake is not ideal compared to the other suggestions. It's a bad combination of small space, them trying to cram as many tables in there, and accommdating as many parties as possible in the evening. You invariably end up sitting elbow to elbow because they don't give you a big enough table AND you're pretty much touching the next table over. And not to mention they will rush you out within 1.5 hours or less. There's better dining experiences out there.
I'm not sure why I'm defending them so hard since I thought they were just okay, but isn't every Chinese restaurant like this?

Although to be fair I recently went to one that was roomier which was actually a surprise to me.
Most of them are like cattle farms where hugging your neighbor is mandatory.

Side note: What is with every Chinese restaurant ever having the same horribly uncomfortable chairs?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3177 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: I'm not sure why I'm defending them so hard since I thought they were just okay, but isn't every Chinese restaurant like this?

Although to be fair I recently went to one that was roomier which was actually a surprise to me.
Most of them are like cattle farms where hugging your neighbor is mandatory.

Side note: What is with every Chinese restaurant ever having the same horribly uncomfortable chairs?
Sure, that's a fair point that you're crammed in at a lot of Chinese restaurants BUT I think Western Lake takes it to the next level of an uncomfortable dining experience (for me).
Kirin (at City Square, RIP) and SSW (Main St) are more upscale and for sure there's plenty of breathing space between tables.

I've been to Jade for a wedding and it was fine, plenty of space. Fishermen's Terrace is similar.

Red Star is definitely roomy.

Golden Ocean has quite a few large tables and they space them out well. They only cram in the smaller tables.