Help with car insurance claim!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2018 9:03 am
[OP]
Oct 5, 2015
59 posts
38 upvotes

Help with car insurance claim!

My camry only has 32k km on it and was totalled in a collision (I was at fault), average price on autotrader is about 24k for comparable, I just file a claim and wait for adjustor to provide an offer, what should I prepare now, I know they will give a low ball offer for sure!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2748 posts
1975 upvotes
My buddy is in this right now. Truck was written off.
Market value is 7k. They offered 7100 (market value) but he declined. A few days later it was 9k if he didn't provide receipts. He the. Produced receipts for tires, alt, battery and brakes. The offer than went to 10900....on a vehicle worth maybe 5.

I'm not sure but I wonder if all said in done, can your insurance company drop you after it's settled?
Smash that like button!
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
485 upvotes
Rockwood
I've only had one car totaled in my life, the insurance company offered me a very reasonable sum and I didn't have to do any work. Point is don't get worked up just yet wait until you get the offer and go from there, if you think it's lower than market provide them with your comparable searches and they'll likely send you another offer.
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge
How old was your car and did you have a full replacement policy? I had a 2 year old Golf R that was written off in June when I was rear-ended by a driver who wasn't paying attention in a construction zone. Because the car was less than 2 years old and I opted for replacement insurance I was paid out the full value of my vehicle. In any case, be prepared to dispute their offer. You want an appropriate payout.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9940 posts
9642 upvotes
Markham
My wife works in insurance. All you have to do is find comparable cars that you feel is an adquate reflection of your car cost. Also, check if you have that thing where insurnace is supposed to pay for a new car if you total your car. Some people who have State Farm may have this coverage.

Also if you invested in the car, say new tires or I dunno... new brakes... etc... have receipts ready to say that you've put money into this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
Honestly, the topic has been covered a few times, the search engine is your friend. Do your own research for comparable and wait for first offer.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8959 posts
1501 upvotes
Ontario
if you have OPCF 43 (waiver of depreciation coverage) on it, it would allow you to remove your insurer's right to deduct depreciation from the value of your vehicle when settling a car insurance claim for damage or loss.
bluedrg11 wrote: My camry only has 32k km on it and was totalled in a collision (I was at fault), average price on autotrader is about 24k for comparable, I just file a claim and wait for adjustor to provide an offer, what should I prepare now, I know they will give a low ball offer for sure!
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8959 posts
1501 upvotes
Ontario
Pretty much all companies offer this coverage not just st farm.
Anikiri wrote: My wife works in insurance. All you have to do is find comparable cars that you feel is an adquate reflection of your car cost. Also, check if you have that thing where insurnace is supposed to pay for a new car if you total your car. Some people who have State Farm may have this coverage.

Also if you invested in the car, say new tires or I dunno... new brakes... etc... have receipts ready to say that you've put money into this.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
bluedrg11 wrote: My camry only has 32k km on it and was totalled in a collision (I was at fault), average price on autotrader is about 24k for comparable, I just file a claim and wait for adjustor to provide an offer, what should I prepare now, I know they will give a low ball offer for sure!
non-fault-car-write-off-know-your-right ... ey-430232/

Read this carefully.