Help Cat6 Keystone to RJ45

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 10:25 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
848 posts
52 upvotes

Help Cat6 Keystone to RJ45

Trying to connect one room to the router.
I have tried to use simple wiring - Cat6 with Keystone wall plate on one end (T568B) and used RJ45 Jack (T568B) on the other end to plug directly to the router.

I know that a lot dont advocate this setup but since I only have one room, I didnt want to buy a patch panel

I can get all lights syncing from 1- 8 on the tester but when i plug the cable into the router, the router lights dont turn on and I dont get any connection on my laptop
Am i doing anything wrong?[![enter image description here]
Images
  • Cat6 Keystone RJ45.PNG
18 replies
Aug 1, 2018
106 posts
72 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
Can you post pictures so we can see actual, crimp connections and colours.
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
If the installation is residential, choose T568A unless other conditions apply (see below).
If there is pre-existing voice/data wiring (remodel, moves, adds, changes), duplicate this wiring scheme on any new connection.
If project specifications are available, use the specified wiring configuration.
If components used within the project are internally wired either T568A or T568B, duplicate this wiring scheme.

Cables that are terminated with differing standards on each end will not function normally, however mixing T568A-terminated patch cords with T568B-terminated horizontal cables (or the reverse) will not produce pinout problems in a facility, although it may slightly degrade signal quality, This effect is marginal and certainly no greater than that produced by mixing cable brands in-channel.

That being said

Did you u match keystone wiring to their internal pin out terminations. Is that A or B key stone jack ? Have you confirmed it’s a B type - check and make sure again did you physically traced back all the pins in they key stone jack and visually confirm that it’s a 568B key stone ? I had problems in the past - keystone were A and RJ 45 were crimped B.

Please post your findings so we can help you more with other suggestions as well.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
848 posts
52 upvotes
c0mputer wrote: Did you u match keystone wiring to their internal pin out terminations. Is that A or B key stone jack ? Have you confirmed it’s a B type - check and make sure again did you physically traced back all the pins in they key stone jack and visually confirm that it’s a 568B key stone ? I had problems in the past - keystone were A and RJ 45 were crimped B.
Thanks, I used the B on the Keystone (Bottom line config Solid Org, White Org, Solid Grn, White Grn) as highlighted on the Keystone
and used the RJ45 T568B as in the attached image as well

Is that the correct way to do it? If yes, then I might have crossed the lines or didnt have good termination. Will redo

Should I use T568A instead of B?
Images
  • Rj45 T568B.png
  • keystone.jpg
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
As far as I can tell you are doing it right. It should work - provided that - you are not missing A to B from modem to router.

What I understand is you have modem providing you B connection and you are taking that B connection all the way to B in router ( cable to keys stone - key stone to cable and cable to router is all B ) I’d thats a yes than
1. Keystone pins are A by manufacturing mistake
2. Router connection is dead or damaged
Or
3. Wires are A to B to A one way or the other and router do not match TX and RX ends with modem somewhere.

What kind of modem is that ? What kind of router is that and is there wires swapping going on anywhere. If yes, get both end of the keystone to match A or B.

I wish I was there to see it or to help you more but this is best i could do from here.

Modem - RJ 45 (B type ) - key stone (B type) - RJ 45 (b type ) - router (b type )

And it should work OR
Modem - RJ 45 (A Type ) - key stone (Atype ) - RJ 45 (Atype - router (Atype )
Will work.

Make all cables B type and make sure that freakin keystone do not have wrong pin out in it by manufacturer fault.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1455 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
Akronica wrote: Thanks, I used the B on the Keystone (Bottom line config Solid Org, White Org, Solid Grn, White Grn) as highlighted on the Keystone
and used the RJ45 T568B as in the attached image as well

Is that the correct way to do it? If yes, then I might have crossed the lines or didnt have good termination. Will redo

Should I use T568A instead of B?
A or B doesn't matter as long as you use the same on both ends. If the tester lights up in the right sequence that means the connection to the keystone are correct.

What is the distance between the two ends?

Have you try plugging in the laptop using a patch cable to your router on the same port?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
848 posts
52 upvotes
I have the following Setup
Modem -> Router (3FT machine pressed cable, similar to this )
Router -> RJ45 T568B ----- 40FT ------> Keystone T568B Wall Plug

If using T568B at both ends are correct, not sure why lights on tester would light in sequence but the router doesnt have lights when I plug it in?
will test with another cable directly into the router and will take some pics
Images
  • Diagram.PNG
Dec 11, 2017
164 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
Akronica wrote: I have tried to use simple wiring - Cat6 with Keystone wall plate on one end (T568B) and used RJ45 Jack (T568B) on the other end to plug directly to the router.

I know that a lot dont advocate this setup but since I only have one room, I didnt want to buy a patch panel
The reason why I would terminate all wall wiring to a female jack is because I want to avoid snipping off a male plug and shortening the cable for a re-crimp in the process of debugging the kind of issue that you are facing now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Akronica wrote: I have tried to use simple wiring - Cat6 with Keystone wall plate on one end (T568B) and used RJ45 Jack (T568B) on the other end to plug directly to the router.
Wait a minute.
Keystone on one side and RJ45 on the other?

Yeah you technically shouldn't do that. You should go keystone to keystone or RJ45 to RJ45.

Also I'm not 100% sure on this but I could swear that you have to reverse it if you're wiring keystone to RJ45.
So you'd start with Brown instead of Orange assuming B. I might be wrong on this and I can't find a wiring diagram for the internals of a keystone.
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
death_hawk wrote: Wait a minute.

Yeah you technically shouldn't do that. You should go keystone to keystone or RJ45 to RJ45.

Also I'm not 100% sure on this but I could swear that you have to reverse it if you're wiring keystone to RJ45.
So you'd start with Brown instead of Orange assuming B. I might be wrong on this and I can't find a wiring diagram for the internals of a keystone.
Creating a local area connection between two computers without any switch needs reverse wiring but keystone to RJ 45 can be same.

Keystone to RJ 45 can be either A or either B and not A on one end and B on the other. That wouldn’t work.

I am sure somewhere in his wiring he has A and B mixed up
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
c0mputer wrote: Creating a local area connection between two computers without any switch needs reverse wiring but keystone to RJ 45 can be same.
A crossover, right, but that's not just backwards. That's a specific wiring combination to get a crossover cable.
Keystone to RJ 45 can be either A or either B and not A on one end and B on the other. That wouldn’t work.

Keystone to keystone and RJ45 to RJ45 yes, but I'm like 51% sure that Keystone to RJ45 needs to reverse the wiring due to how the RJ45 interacts with the keystone.
I am sure somewhere in his wiring he has A and B mixed up
That could work too. The diagram makes it look like Keystone can have A then the RJ45 can have B.
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
death_hawk wrote: A crossover, right, but that's not just backwards. That's a specific wiring combination to get a crossover cable.

Keystone to keystone and RJ45 to RJ45 yes, but I'm like 51% sure that Keystone to RJ45 needs to reverse the wiring due to how the RJ45 interacts with the keystone.

That could work too. The diagram makes it look like Keystone can have A then the RJ45 can have B.
Keystone to RJ45 do not need reverse wiring.
If one end has RJ45 at wo-o-wg-b-wb-g-wb-Br
Than an expensive working cat6 cable going in an expensive working keystone will end up with same sequence - inside wiring of a keystone and pins are flipped in a way that it will house another RJ45 and accommodate tx/rx signals easily.

All I see here is an error between a keystone jack and wire. Winking Face
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1455 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
Akronica wrote: I have the following Setup
Modem -> Router (3FT machine pressed cable, similar to this )
Router -> RJ45 T568B ----- 40FT ------> Keystone T568B Wall Plug

If using T568B at both ends are correct, not sure why lights on tester would light in sequence but the router doesnt have lights when I plug it in?
will test with another cable directly into the router and will take some pics
If your tester is showing the correct sequence that means each pin on both ends are connected in the right "order". So you should at least have a working connection.

Having said that the tester can't tell if you are using the wrong pairs. I.e you somehow are not using either A/B wiring so signal that are supposed to be transmitted over a pair is now transmitted over separate pairs instead. The connection will usually still work but you may see lot of bits errors (slow connection).

However like i said i suspect the problem may be as simple as your Ethernet port on the laptop is disabled or not working if you never used the wired connection before. Hence why i suggested you to hook it up with a short patch cable first before you keep pulling your hair.

Another remote possibility is that you are testing it incorrectly. Since you have a keystone jack on one side i assume you used a patch cable to plug that into your tester? Did you make that cable yourself as well or it is a known good cable?

Yet another possibility is that you are reading your tester incorrectly. No offense but is it your first time using your tester? If so you may want to hook it up with a known good cable to make sure you understand what sequence you should get.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
848 posts
52 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Wait a minute.

I think you are right, I remember I guy did a Keystone to RJ45 before and he said he has to reverse the wire and he had to pull the right diagram to reverse it. Unfortunately I dont know how to reverse
KeyStone B
RJ45 - what's the appropriate reversal diagram?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1455 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
Akronica wrote: I think you are right, I remember I guy did a Keystone to RJ45 before and he said he has to reverse the wire and he had to pull the right diagram to reverse it. Unfortunately I dont know how to reverse
KeyStone B
RJ45 - what's the appropriate reversal diagram?
I wired keystone to rj45 all the times. Never have to reverse the wire. It's a moot point for most cases anyway since most routers have auto cross over detection unless you are dealing with some vintage hardware. Anyway wouldn't hurt to try if you run out of options.
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
Right now you are

Solid orange - white orange - solid green - white green

Flip it to

Solid blue - white blue - solid green - white green

And on the other side use

Solid orange - white orange - solid brown - white brown.

But at this point I am out of ideas and can’t find that darn diagram when you need one.

This is the sequence 100% that I am sure.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
848 posts
52 upvotes
csi123 wrote: I wired keystone to rj45 all the times. Never have to reverse the wire. It's a moot point for most cases anyway since most routers have auto cross over detection unless you are dealing with some vintage hardware. Anyway wouldn't hurt to try if you run out of options.
Ok perfect thanks, at least you did it before.
Will check the cable again. Which tester do you recommend. I use the basic one
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1455 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
Akronica wrote: Ok perfect thanks, at least you did it before.
Will check the cable again. Which tester do you recommend. I use the basic one
For home use a basic one is fine (i.e. the ones that check connectivity only). This verify the pin order is fine and the crimping is good. You may still got the pairing wrong but it shouldn't stop the connection from working.

If you really worry about cross over then just use a cross over cable to connect from the jack to the computer/router. No need to redo it twice if that turn out not to be the issue.

Did you try plug the laptop to the router directly (i.e. with a known good patch cable)?