Parenting & Family

Help with CCAC and LHIN for my Dad please.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2020 9:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay

Help with CCAC and LHIN for my Dad please.

Hi everyone.

I’m in a bind. My dad has been progressively getting worse health wise. He’s very frail now, to the point of not being able to go up the stairs and collapsing in the bathroom. He suffers from dementia and this is also getting much worse. He’s left the house in the night and takes to wandering around the home in the middle of the night thinking it’s daytime.

On Sunday he fell twice and is now in hospital.

My dad worked for the CN for almost 30 years and now remembers no English, only his mother tongue.

We have been together our entire lives. When my mom died my dad came to live with my wife and I. It hasn’t been easy, but now we just can’t. We had a conversation and decided it is time to put him in a home. His mobility is so poor and his mind as well.

Is there any advice anyone can give me? I have asked to speak to a social worker through the hospital and am waiting to speak to one.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you so much.
16 replies
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
649 upvotes
Financially, how you are going to pay for the seniors home? a long-term care home?
Oct 9, 2014
11 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You'll get much more priority going into a long term care facility from the hospital than if he applies after discharge.
You'll need to articulate and make your case on why he can't be independent or doesn't have the necessary support at home
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
Hi SgatPowell.

My dad has a pension and I’m hoping I can afford to bridge the gap between his pension and the full cost.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
Gabriel2014 wrote: You'll get much more priority going into a long term care facility from the hospital than if he applies after discharge.
You'll need to articulate and make your case on why he can't be independent or doesn't have the necessary support at home
Hi Gabriel. I will prepare for this. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2507 posts
758 upvotes
GTA
There should be 2 persons coming to see your Dad in the hospital, 1 from CCAC about his aftercare after discharge and 1 from social services about how they can help him and you cope. The CCAC rep will complete an assessment to apply for a long term care home. You should tell them that he has developing dementia. There are different costs for a private vs 2 bed vs multi bed shared room (the last one will be paid by the government if your Dad doesn't have the money). You should research and get a list of 3 homes to choose from where your language is spoken. If there is no temporary rehab facility for your Dad, he may have to stay longer in the hospital (don't let them rush him out due to a shortage of beds). Remember the CCAC may tell you they'll put him in a nursing home not of your choice then move him later - this is highly unlikely and he may end up there permanently. Go and visit a few homes now - call to find out tour dates; things will look orderly and clean, but try to pop in adhoc about 9.30pm just to see the conditions.
Oct 17, 2013
180 posts
126 upvotes
Ontario
I completely agree with everything Catnippy wrote, especially with the hospital rushing to get your dad out of the hospital. I just went through this with my mother and they will try! If you don't feel comfortable taking care of your dad anymore, stand firm and make it clear you can't have him with you. It sounds awful, but he will get into long term care faster. It's a steep learning curve, and very emotional as well. I wish you the best.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
Catnippy wrote: There should be 2 persons coming to see your Dad in the hospital, 1 from CCAC about his aftercare after discharge and 1 from social services about how they can help him and you cope. The CCAC rep will complete an assessment to apply for a long term care home. You should tell them that he has developing dementia. There are different costs for a private vs 2 bed vs multi bed shared room (the last one will be paid by the government if your Dad doesn't have the money). You should research and get a list of 3 homes to choose from where your language is spoken. If there is no temporary rehab facility for your Dad, he may have to stay longer in the hospital (don't let them rush him out due to a shortage of beds). Remember the CCAC may tell you they'll put him in a nursing home not of your choice then move him later - this is highly unlikely and he may end up there permanently. Go and visit a few homes now - call to find out tour dates; things will look orderly and clean, but try to pop in adhoc about 9.30pm just to see the conditions.
Thanks for all this information. This is what I was looking for. I’ve booked 2 homes for tours. I will stop by in the after hours to see how it is.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
earthygoat wrote: I completely agree with everything Catnippy wrote, especially with the hospital rushing to get your dad out of the hospital. I just went through this with my mother and they will try! If you don't feel comfortable taking care of your dad anymore, stand firm and make it clear you can't have him with you. It sounds awful, but he will get into long term care faster. It's a steep learning curve, and very emotional as well. I wish you the best.
Thanks you for the kind words. I hope to stand my ground.

How did things work out for your mom?
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
Just another question, will he be moved outside of the city where we live if they move him?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2507 posts
758 upvotes
GTA
jinglebell79 wrote: Just another question, will he be moved outside of the city where we live if they move him?
It is possible if there's a bed that's available. It may be a choice between a better quality home or travelling distance to visit him. The local CCAC will focus on your area first. Also see if anything here can help (for males and females). Depending on your dad's condition, they may recommend assisted living.

https://www.aplaceformom.com/nursing-homes
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
Catnippy wrote: It is possible if there's a bed that's available. It may be a choice between a better quality home or travelling distance to visit him. The local CCAC will focus on your area first. Also see if anything here can help (for males and females). Depending on your dad's condition, they may recommend assisted living.

https://www.aplaceformom.com/nursing-homes
Thank you Catnippy
Oct 17, 2013
180 posts
126 upvotes
Ontario
jinglebell79 wrote: Thanks you for the kind words. I hope to stand my ground.

How did things work out for your mom?
Things worked out well for my mom. In order for her to leave the hospital sooner, her diagnosis was "decreased" and they ended up recommending that for now, she would do well in a retirement home with extra nursing care. They knew she could afford private care and rooms were more readily available in local retirement homes, therefore she could leave the hospital sooner. She's happy and this arrangement works for her now, but we know it's most likely temporary and we're taking it month by month.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
earthygoat wrote: Things worked out well for my mom. In order for her to leave the hospital sooner, her diagnosis was "decreased" and they ended up recommending that for now, she would do well in a retirement home with extra nursing care. They knew she could afford private care and rooms were more readily available in local retirement homes, therefore she could leave the hospital sooner. She's happy and this arrangement works for her now, but we know it's most likely temporary and we're taking it month by month.
That’s great to hear. Good luck.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
120 posts
21 upvotes
Thunder bay
Hi everyone.

I’m in need of guidance.

My dad is in the hospital. He has dementia and is now unable to walk unassisted anymore.

Realistically I am looking to take him home until I can get care for him.

Do I qualify for critical care leave?

Thanks for the help.
May 27, 2011
526 posts
380 upvotes
NORTH YORK
you should check with your H.R. ,they will be able to answer you question.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)