Request-A-Deal

Help for a cellphone and phone plan on ODSP

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 6:10 pm
Nov 22, 2022
1 posts

Help for a cellphone and phone plan on ODSP

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody would be able to guide me on what might be the best and cheapest way to get a both a cellphone and cell plan. I'm on ODSP and with several medical expenses, my budget is pretty tight. I've never had a cellphone before as I haven't been able to afford it or justify the cost, having been able to do well enough without it. Not having people to call, not going places and needing Maps, etc. But it has been causing some issues, especially since the pandemic started and everything relying on calling.

With Black Friday right around the corner, I've wondered is something might be possible. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a power user but know I have to balance that against my finances. But I have a small bit of savings if that helps that part of it though. I saw that Koodo plan for $30, but the part about it being Veing .your Own Device makes it inaccessible to me unless I can buy a phone for that.

Please and thank you for advice and guidance.
2 replies
Mar 19, 2022
28 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would recommend buying an used unlocked iPhone 5 or 5S on Kijiji. I've bought it couple times off Kijiji for $50 in excellent condition and they work pretty well.

For phone plan, I recommend going with Chatr. They currently have promo offer at $25/month for unlimited talk + 1GB data. Or $30/mo for 3GB data. The first month is also free (in credits).
Feb 13, 2024
1 posts
Elineas wrote: Hello,

I was wondering if anybody would be able to guide me on what might be the best and cheapest way to get a both a cellphone and cell plan. I'm on ODSP and with several medical expenses, my budget is pretty tight. I've never had a cellphone before as I haven't been able to afford it or justify the cost, having been able to do well enough without it. Not having people to call, not going places and needing Maps, etc. But it has been causing some issues, especially since the pandemic started and everything relying on calling.

With Black Friday right around the corner, I've wondered is something might be possible. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a power user but know I have to balance that against my finances. But I have a small bit of savings if that helps that part of it though. I saw that Koodo plan for $30, but the part about it being Veing .your Own Device makes it inaccessible to me unless I can buy a phone for that.

Please and thank you for advice and guidance.
Rogers has discount offers people on ODSP $25/month phone plan with a phone