Students

HELP! Which College should I attend??

[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
2 posts

HELP! Which College should I attend??

Hi everyone,

I've applied to 4 colleges, George Brown, Seneca, Sheridan and Mohawk. All for Business Accounting and received offer letters to some and need to reply to them soon.
I've tried looking up reviews for them but can't really find much outside of their own websites (which of course, have all positive reviews).
Also, I'm an international student from London so going over to visit the campuses are a bit too expensive at the moment.
Could i get some feedback from anyone about these colleges? What are the professors like? What about student life? In general, what are they like?

Thanks everyone!!
-Alexandra :razz: :lol:
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1946 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
Seneca seems to be the better place to be for business based on my friend's experience. They then transfer to universities afterwards tho. I think Seneca is more known under the accounting category. Mohawk is aboslutely unheard of...Downtown Hamilton right? Bad and very ghetto area .
[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
2 posts
cool, George Brown has a great location but I was really hoping to get feed back on the schools/professors/course/student life as location isn't the only thing obviously.
so does anyone know anything else about them?
Jan 8, 2010
55 posts
4 upvotes
Waterloo
Al3xandra85 wrote: cool, George Brown has a great location but I was really hoping to get feed back on the schools/professors/course/student life as location isn't the only thing obviously.
so does anyone know anything else about them?
I went to Seneca under a different program. Not sure which campus Business Accounting is in, but I will assume Newnham as that is where the Accounting program is. For your purposes, I can only really comment on student life.

From my experiences, I found it similar to the stories I heard about commuter schools, where most of the time you find that a large portion of the student body will go to school, mainly for school and extracurriculars at school don't happen too often. I kind of have a gut feeling that is kind of the case for most colleges where students are mostly local. There were a couple of events over the term for different activities you could participate in organized either through athletics or the student union. It is kind of what you make of it though, there might be the odd activity you can get involved in if you look for it. I found that a lot of people mainly just went to college for the school portion and less the social life. It could have just been my program though, we had a lot of mature students coming from second careers or university grads.

The local area around Newnham is pretty far removed as it is in a mainly residential area. You can take public transportation to most places and getting to downtown Toronto should take you about an hour to an hour and half, depending on when you go.

I found the campus to be pretty nice, with a few spots here and there where you can get work done if you are on campus for long periods. I do know they were opening (opened at this point I believe) a new building that had more space for students. I do remember class times were odd though. They were 50 minutes in length each, but if you had a class right after, you would only have 5 minutes to get to the next one. Just a little thing, but might throw some people off at the start.

Hope that helps.
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
newnham campus sucks imo. student population there is pretty much international students and adults in their 30s.