• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 11:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 11, 2016
3 posts

Help: Convert garage to a rec room.

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions & recommendations to convert my garage into a usable space during winter months. The garage is approx 10x20 feet.

The space isn't finished but there is wiring & outlets.

Ideally I would like:
- glass doors to let light in because there are no windows
- dry wall and insulation
- a door cut into the side so that it will be adjacent to my front door (there is no door currently leading into the house & to install one would result in me losing precious counter space in my kitchen
- the floor is concrete but re-doing it isn't mandatory, I can lay tiles or outdoor carpet.

How much would this cost me? Or where can I get estimates from? Is there a company I can contact?
9 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1427 upvotes
Would not be to code
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10373 posts
5592 upvotes
Paris
Door company to cut the exterior door hole and install a door. I'd put a heater out there of some sort, ideally a gas garage heater like a mr heater big Maxx. Same folks If you want some windows or convert the garage door into a full window panel unit (mega bucks).
Jul 27, 2010
226 posts
19 upvotes
Detroit
Definitely floor heating, hydronic would be ideal. Garage doors convert to sliding doors maybe some sky lights. I would think under 10k, better to hire one skilled guy and work with him, it's not a hard job.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10373 posts
5592 upvotes
Paris
malai_kafka2 wrote: Definitely floor heating, hydronic would be ideal. Garage doors convert to sliding doors maybe some sky lights. I would think under 10k, better to hire one skilled guy and work with him, it's not a hard job.
One skilled guy isnt going to be able to properly design and install in floor heating (plumber), cut out and install doors windows (door/window installer), do a skylight (roofer), and replace garage doors (garage door company). These are completely different skills and one guy might be able to do it all, but only doing this stuff once in a while they wont do it right.

Your quote is way way low. The man door and cut out will be $3500, the in floor heating is $3k plus removal of existing floor and repour or building a new subfloor over it, the garage door replacement will be a minimum $3k depending what they do plus any surprises. $15-20k to do it properly and with permits. Plus if the garage ceiling and walls arent insulated you can easily add another $2-5k.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1339 posts
1036 upvotes
HAMILTON
Presuming you have a garage door..... you really do not want to remove it as you may want to convert it back for resale.

Floors.... tar paper then 2x4 framing with Roxul insulation. 1/2 " chipboard\plywood whatever the cheapest on top. Make sure you level floor as you go along. You can then put whatever you want on top for flooring.
Put in your door and maybe couple of windows for light and escape in case of problems.
If walls are already dry walled, then pull dry wall, insulate, vapor barrier and re drywall. Regardless, you would want to build a wall over garage door if there was one.
If no dry wall and just frame, insulate, vapor barrier and dry wall.
If you have natural gas available, you could buy a direct vent fireplace, heater\whatever. Maybe used. There are other heating options.
You do not want to use electric heat as too expensive to run.
You will then have a room that you could change back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5985 posts
6203 upvotes
Toronto
PhilanaM927140 wrote: Thanks..which part wouldnt be up to code?
Pretty much all of it.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1339 posts
1036 upvotes
HAMILTON
Of course it can be to code in most areas. I have done it ( with a permit ) as I wanted to put a 2nd storey on it.

Discussed with bldg inspector, did my own plans, handed plans in and paid my fees. Got my permit. Had inspections done along the way and finished up.

There was no issues at all.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4179 posts
3302 upvotes
GTA
Where are you located? I will buy you gym membership , you will let me use your garage.