• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2006 9:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 7, 2004
31 posts

HELP: Dad needs a job!

Hi everyone. Nice forum. I thought I might state a few of my dad's credentials in case anyone is in his field here (although I highly doubt it). He has a PhD in Environmental Law, Policy, Planning & Administration from Colorado State University. He also has a Masters in Forestry, a Masters in Botany, and a Masters in Biology (from various universities in Pakistan). Furthermore, he has a Bachelours with Honours in Biology, Botany, Chemistry, and Zoology (from Pakistan). He is very educated, and has plenty of experience, especially in the Environmental and Forestry sector (in Pakistan). He also has created and been a part of various publications and edited UN policies and the like. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :) !
10 replies
Jan 17, 2002
679 posts
22 upvotes
Where is he located? Hopefully not in Ontario. My brother works in the same industry and he said he won't be able to move to Ontario any time soon because of the job market for his industry. He is currently working and completing his Masters at Purdue. Most of the work he has had outside of Alberta and BC have been in the US for large Companies. Might get lucky and find a government job. Good luck
[OP]
Feb 7, 2004
31 posts
Yeh we're in ontario :( . No luck with government jobs either, we've been applying for him all over the country. Seems like everything runs on contacts and connections unfortunately. He could probably find employment across the border, but we've settled here :) . Anyhow, thank you for the tip.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2744 posts
375 upvotes
Ontario GTA
getting a contract job with the government may not be a bad idea.

once you have the foot in that's how you get the bigger and better jobs.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10004 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
The_Madz wrote:getting a contract job with the government may not be a bad idea.

once you have the foot in that's how you get the bigger and better jobs.
yep so true..

if you want contract goverment jobs..

apply to people bank.. its a agent, but alot of goverments work places hire from there for contracks.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Jan 21, 2006
5 posts
^ Yup =)

People Bank is an employment agency but government offices hire from them (i'm working at a government office right now through people bank :D )
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14704 posts
3180 upvotes
Toronto
snizzle wrote:Yeh we're in ontario :( . No luck with government jobs either, we've been applying for him all over the country. Seems like everything runs on contacts and connections unfortunately. He could probably find employment across the border, but we've settled here :) . Anyhow, thank you for the tip.
He may have issues with getting those Pakistani degrees acknowledged here. I know in some countries people basically pay their way to a degree. I am not implying that he did that, but people do know that even if the education level abroad may be higher to that in Canada, the validity of the claims will be hard to verify.

Contract work is not bad, you bill for every minute you work and can write off your legitimate business expenses. I have been doing that for a few years now and love it.

Oh, and to those who care to know, I was a born Pakistani but my education is from North America (college, professional associations, and MIT in Cambridge, MA).
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Feb 7, 2004
31 posts
CSR wrote:He wont get a job by getting his son to job hunt for him.
LOL so true. But he's working his ass off right now at some crap job trying to pay bills. He's working graveyard shifts and gets about 4 hours of sleep on average. :( So I'm trying to help him out with the search...

People bank eh? I'll check that out. Thanks!

Yeh. He needs to get degree equivalencies, but they'll take at least a year. It doesn't stop there; then he'll probably need to join some provincial association, forgot what they call them. Kind of like lawyers do... Real bureaucratic, don't you think?
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
keep checking the ontario government job website. the workforce there is quite multicultural. have him try the cold calls too. there is a ministry of environment, ministry of attorney general etc. check out the ontario gov't website.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5097 posts
1558 upvotes
Vancouver
yeah it might be hard since he got those credentials overseas.many employers don't recognize the achievements and those papers could be worthless here in Canada.