Request-A-Deal

Help on deciding a laptop for university!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2013 8:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON

Help on deciding a laptop for university!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find/decide on the best laptop for university. My price range is around $400-600, and I'm looking for something to use for video and photo editing, multimedia use and possibly light gaming.

My priories for a laptop would be:
1. Reliability
2. Battery life
3. Performance
4. Design (Although this isn't listed that high, I would like to get a sleek laptop, an ultrabook/something that looks like a macbook would be awesome!)

i3 ultrabook (not as powerful but sleeker design and better portability): Lenovo u310 touch-$455 (I plan to use the $75 coupon and sell the $100 gift card to someone whose agreed to buy it) http://www.staples.ca/en/Lenovo-IdeaPad ... CA_1_20001
-third gen i3
-4gb ram
-500gb hdd, 24 gb ssd cache
-13.3 inch touchscreen

i7 heavier laptop: Lenovo z580-$570 http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... ction=init
-third gen i7
-8gb ram
-1 tb hdd
-15.6 inch screen

I am looking at these two laptops right now and I think its the best example of my dilema. What I mean is, would it be better to get the best specs for my price range regardless of size/portability, or get something sleek and more portable for university?

Any other suggestions? All help is welcomed, thank you!
10 replies
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON
Staples website is down right now, but I will post the link when it is up.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2897 posts
379 upvotes
Montreal
Lenovo is a great brand. Touchscreen is a fad I hope will soon die off for standard 1080p screens and higher but besides the point, for video and photo editing you'd be better off with the i7 or maybe wait a little longer and see if you could get a Haswell CPU which will tremendously improve battery life.

But between the two for what you're looking for I'd get the i7.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
Don't forget to factor in a good bag. Don't want to trasnport your 500 buck laptop in a sobeys bag to take it out and find out you broke the screen.

Sleeves are 10-20 bucks (can cost more) which is basic protection.

A good backpack can run much more, my thule was 100 bucks.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON
gnuman wrote: Lenovo is a great brand. Touchscreen is a fad I hope will soon die off for standard 1080p screens and higher but besides the point, for video and photo editing you'd be better off with the i7 or maybe wait a little longer and see if you could get a Haswell CPU which will tremendously improve battery life.

But between the two for what you're looking for I'd get the i7.
Yeah, touch screen isn't really a selling point for me, it's nice that its their but yeah I would rather get a higher resolution instead. Do you know anything about the z580 though, in terms of reliability? Also Do when do you think I would be able to find good Haswell laptops in my price range?

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON
neverhaveiever wrote: Don't forget to factor in a good bag. Don't want to trasnport your 500 buck laptop in a sobeys bag to take it out and find out you broke the screen.

Sleeves are 10-20 bucks (can cost more) which is basic protection.

A good backpack can run much more, my thule was 100 bucks.
Yeah that's true, I have a simple laptop sleeve already and I was planning on putting that in my school bag, that should be good enough right?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
akshouse20 wrote: Yeah that's true, I have a simple laptop sleeve already and I was planning on putting that in my school bag, that should be good enough right?
Depends on what laptop you get and your setup. If you have a couple books in your bag and you lay the bag on the side, that is a lot of pressure on the laptop.

It is better to be safe than sorry. I sometimes put my laptop in the sleeve THEN in the laptop portion of my bag. But, I am a worrier lol

Something like a lenovo with the roll cage is going to be hard to break, but some cheap laptop with a crappy casing could break easily.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2510 posts
901 upvotes
Halifax
neverhaveiever wrote: Something like a lenovo with the roll cage is going to be hard to break, but some cheap laptop with a crappy casing could break easily.
This all depends on the type of Lenovo - Thinkpads are pretty well built, but you won't find one within this budget. Ideapads are not so well built, which is what he would be looking at in his budget so keep that in mind. I know from experience with the Ideapad.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2011
19 posts
HAMILTON
Yeah I was actually wondering that, are ideapads juat as good as thinkpads or atleast still reliable on their own. I know staples.ca has the thinkpad sl40 for $250, its a intel core duo at 2.1 ghz, 2gb ram, 160 gb hdd. Would I be better off getting that or would it be too low-end?
Sep 21, 2007
331 posts
39 upvotes
If you're anything like me then this is going to be the best laptop advice ever: look for portability and LONG battery life. Some sort of ultrabook is what you need. Performance ended up being the least important thing for me, I honestly don't know how people had time to game if wanted to have a fulfilling university life.