Tags:
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
67 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke

Help with Deep Scratch

Hello,

I have 2020 Honda Accord Black, and I just had my first incident which resulted in a deep scratch on one of my side mirror roughly about 1.5 cm length and 1mm width.

Any advice on how to remove it at home or any decent garage that would help get rid of the deep scratch. If I go to the dealership they would probably charge me around $100 - $1,000 just to remove it. I already bought touch up paint to match the car color.

Thanks,
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1835 posts
1050 upvotes
You can't get it fully removed without repaint if it's that deep.

Paint pen will just make it more a mess. What you want is Chipfixx to fill the scratch and wipe away the excess. It just fills it with matching color, you'll still be able to see the scratch.

EDIT - wow, these guys have really jacked their price. A few years ago was $43.00, now $99.00 for their basic kit. Just use your pen (or what I like to do is get the paint in a can, spray into a cup and use a dollarama art brush to fill) to fill the scratch and use nail polish remover to lightly wipe away the excess. polish and wax after.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5137 posts
2734 upvotes
Toronto
Cheaper to buy CF knockoff side mirror covers from eBay.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4557 posts
5447 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mirror housings are plastic., and the car is black, who cares.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10841 posts
2675 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Post a photo,

if its just on the mirror they could just paint the mirror if you wanted it done 100%. If not use the touch up pen but apply the paint with a tooth pick so you don't get a big blob of paint all over which will look worse.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13551 posts
8514 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Cheaper to just do a wrap.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3180 posts
1891 upvotes
iHibachi wrote: Hello,

I have 2020 Honda Accord Black, and I just had my first incident which resulted in a deep scratch on one of my side mirror roughly about 1.5 cm length and 1mm width.

Any advice on how to remove it at home or any decent garage that would help get rid of the deep scratch. If I go to the dealership they would probably charge me around $100 - $1,000 just to remove it. I already bought touch up paint to match the car color.

Thanks,
some one posted about painting an entire car for under $500. Maybe both of you should hook up.
Dec 4, 2017
276 posts
252 upvotes
iHibachi wrote: Hello,

Thanks,
Lol $1000? Which dealer would give you this estimate? What kind of joke thread is this for a 1.5 cm x 1 mm scratch. I'll fix it for $95 - $950, haha.

Show us a pic. As others stated mirrors are plastic, all you need is probably polishing compound to get the scuff off.

Worst case is to buy mirror caps off eBay for $50/piece.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8065 posts
4459 upvotes
Alberta
Removing a side mirror cap from a Honda Accord takes a whole 5 mins or less.

Removing the whole mirror takes 5 mins or less also.

Feb 2, 2019
12 posts
5 upvotes
just buy a new mirror cap.

oem mirror cap are plastic. so theres no way to fix it properly. u need to sand down to plastic, use bondo to fill in the cracks. sand to smooth even. prime paint, paint , clear coat clear coat clear coat. wet sand. compound and polish.

Vs.

$5-10$ mirror cap...

its a fun project if u want to do. but for a mirror cap, not really.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
67 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke
cristianosham wrote: some one posted about painting an entire car for under $500. Maybe both of you should hook up.
Car is barely 2 months old. Not going to repaint or spend that must for a small scratch.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
67 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke
sunnykw2305 wrote: Lol $1000? Which dealer would give you this estimate? What kind of joke thread is this for a 1.5 cm x 1 mm scratch. I'll fix it for $95 - $950, haha.

Show us a pic. As others stated mirrors are plastic, all you need is probably polishing compound to get the scuff off.

Worst case is to buy mirror caps off eBay for $50/piece.
You know dealership tend to 10x markup every service. I'm thinking about buying a mirror cap, wanted to keep the original look but depends on the mirror cap.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
67 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke
jackrabbit000 wrote: Removing a side mirror cap from a Honda Accord takes a whole 5 mins or less.

Removing the whole mirror takes 5 mins or less also.

Whoa, thanks. I definitely look into the mirror replacement.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
67 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke
Here are the picture that are requested.
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-08-19 at 3.12.21 PM.jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-08-19 at 3.12.27 PM.jpeg