Travel

HELP! Didn't report vehicle accident in Alberta, flew back to Toronto already.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 10:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2331 posts
97 upvotes

HELP! Didn't report vehicle accident in Alberta, flew back to Toronto already.

I went to Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary, Banff, Jasper) the first two weeks of the month. I slid and hit a snowbank (on Icefields Parkway) in a rental vehicle on Friday evening, radiator leaking, so vehicle overheats and is undrivable. Called RCMP on Saturday and they told me I had to go in person to file a report, but they're not open weekends. My flight back was 10am on Monday, so I didn't get a chance to go in. I now realize my best option was to go to YEG early and visit the 24/7 RCMP office inside the terminal... but what can I do at this point? RCMP in Newmarket, ON was not helpful and told me RCMP Ontario is not a police force and I need to go to my local police... but the incident is out-of-province so I'm not sure how TPS/YRP can assist.
5 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10281 posts
2879 upvotes
you don't need police involvement unless its a lot of damage, I believe its 2000$, but your insurance should have been notified.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1483 posts
341 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Call the Jasper or Lake Louise RCMP. If the damage is over $2000 ( including labor), it needs to be reported. You may be able to get away by faxing or emailing a statement , but they also need a copy of your drivers license, registration and insurance ( which they may be able to get from the rental company)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
In hindsight, was postponing your flight not an option?

You might have to fly back now...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16613 posts
2318 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: In hindsight, was postponing your flight not an option?
Since there was no other party, it wasn't a hit and run, I wouldn't delay my flight back. Like others have said, a phone call to the local detachment should suffice - especially since OP had a legitimate reason to leave.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
What did you tell the rental company? I'm assuming you were supposed to turn the vehicle in before you flew out? Assuming you opted for their insurance you should be fine if it's only vehicle damage (no injuries) as they are usually self insured and would pay out of pocket to repair the vehicle.