Help with DZ Licence

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2019 11:47 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 8, 2014
2 posts

Help with DZ Licence

Hi I'm looking for some help with getting my DZ. My current situation is that when transfering over my Licence from England to Canada I lost my motorcycle and tractor trailer class on my license. I now only have a full G. I have passed the knowledge test for the DZ and have set a date with the drive test centre for the end of MAY. I was hoping to get a lesson or two in a vehicle and do the test in the same vehicle. After calling up several places and explaining that I have driven trucks for over 8 years and that I wouldn't be starting out as a beginner I was told that I would need to book a full course with every school which is over $1000 lowest price I found being $900. I really dont have this type of money at the moment as I've already spent over $300 on getting a medical and booking the DZ test already. The reason I'm also getting it done is I will have a good chance of getting a much better paying job if I get my DZ before the end of June.

I'm wondering does anyone have any recommendations for places that would go over the test with me mainly what they ask for the air brake practical and let me do the test in there Vehicle. I was thinking about renting a penske truck but would rather be more familiar with the truck as some things may be slightly different. Appreciate any help thanks.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5289 posts
1353 upvotes
Ottawa
I believe there are places that rent cube vans that have a large enough capacity that you can use them to do the practical test but when empty, they are light enough that you can drive them with a G. (e.g. https://www.pensketruckleasing.com/nort ... nt-trucks/). That said, I'm not sure if they have air brakes. If they do, you might not be able to rent one if you don't have Z endorsement.

As far as doing the road test, one thing I would suggest you focus on is the circle test. They only give you a certain amount of time and if you exceed that, it's an automatic fail (which IMHO, is crazy, I should be able to take as long as I want to examine my truck before determining if it's safe for the road). There are several videos on YouTube that walk through an Ontario circle test.

If money is an issue, I believe many municipalities will offer free training and testing if you apply to be a school bus driver.

Finally, I would double-check with the ministry as I would have thought you could have a license ported over from a comparable class (i.e. a foreign truck license could get you an Ontario truck license).
[OP]
Nov 8, 2014
2 posts
Located in Toronto.

Only can be moved over to G class I've been informed several times and have now transfered my licence over to an ontario one.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2448 posts
1151 upvotes
B.C.
michelb wrote:
If money is an issue, I believe many municipalities will offer free training and testing if you apply to be a school bus driver.
Are there any regions in Ontario that haven't contracted out their school busses to outside companies yet?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5289 posts
1353 upvotes
Ottawa
lennyandcarl wrote: Are there any regions in Ontario that haven't contracted out their school busses to outside companies yet?
I have no idea about that, just know that a friend of mine did the training for free about 5 years ago in Sudbury
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6283 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
Ontario truck training academy(otta)

Its a reputable school. You need to be trained in canadian style for yours and everyone’s safety.
Way too many trucks getting into accidents so proper training is needed. Dont cheap out on this as its about safety. Save up if necessary but dont risk yourself or others please its not worth it. Think of it as investment longterm for life

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)