May 19, 2006
283 posts
21 upvotes

Help extend my Rogers Ignite wifi range

Hey all

I currently have Rogers Ignite with the following setup:
- Rogers modem in the basement
- WiFi puck on main floor
- the garage is seperate from the house (30 ft)
- I cannot relocate the modem from the basement due to hard wired Lan connections to devices

Ask:
What's the best way to increase the range so that I can reach the WiFi from the garage? (noob at networking/configuring wifi here)

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
Any in wall CAT?

If so ... Get a router and feed connection via CAT to it
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Oct 9, 2021
143 posts
56 upvotes
You need some router that supports wifi client, repeater or bridge mode for example - TP-Link-MR3020. For better signal strength you can by some directional antenna from amazon or ebay - yagi antenna is a good choice for this.
If you are curios see this hack - https://apollo.open-resource.org/lab:ar ... ifications. I did it. It works.

I also have D-Link DAP 2660. In order to get installed an external antenna I bought from ebay RP-SMA Female Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable ufl ipex 1.13mm Mini PCI
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It seems like you can contact Rogers and tell them it can't reach an edge area of your home. They'll give you another pod.

Once you receive the pod, consider relocating the modem to a central location, placing a pod in the basement, and then another pod somewhere between the modem and garage.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
I had the same problem.

I had my modem/router from my ISP upstairs at the back of my house. I bought a TP Link wifi extender but that was terrible. After about 3 months it needed a reboot every 5 days because it wouldn't let any devices access the internet. Then I bought a Netgear EX7000 extender and put it in the living room. I've had this for about 4 years now and it's been excellent. Except for the fact that some of Netgear's firmware versions don't work that well. One of their firmware releases wouldn't let you access the internet after 3 hours. I just downgraded the firmware and it was fine again.

Then I realized it would be much better to move the modem/router from my ISP to the living (which is a central location). The signal was way better everywhere. I'm still using the wifi extender upstairs because I plug in my desktop and printer to the network ports on the extender.

Supposedly, when you connect to the extender the wifi is speeds is cut in half. I haven't noticed this at all. I was doing speed tests at https://www.speedtest.net/ and using their app. I haven't seen any speed issues myself.

Netgear EX7000 - https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-Nighthawk ... 00WB2HD50/

Netgear EX7700 - https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-WiFi-Rang ... 0829QWTWJ/

Netgear EAX20 - https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-WiFi-Rang ... 08921V1WM/

I'm guessing the EAX20 is the latest release since it supports wifi 6 but the EX7700 supposedly has a stronger signal (2000 sq ft).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
May 19, 2006
283 posts
21 upvotes
Hi all

I took an old router I wasn't using (Asus RT-AC86U) and was able to set it up in repeater mode. I used a seperate ssid name (labelled it outdoor) and placed it indoors as close to the direction of the garage as possible.

Voila! It worked. Had to plug my laptop into the router first to configure the repeater mode and update firmware... Wouldn't let me do that advanced setting using the Asus app. Setting up was really easy (login to router, manual settings, repeater mode, login to existing WiFi network, done)

Thanks all!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3166 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
First question i would ask you is do you currently have a XB6 gateway (router and wifi router built in) and if so is it the ARRIS TG3482G (Intel Corps Puma 7 chipset) or the Technicolor CGM4140COM (broadcom chipset)? Both are the same design and look almost identical so best to verify on the bottom sticker where you can determine with model number, even myself i need to see the plate to tell the difference.

If you have the ARRIS TG3482G (Intel Corps Puma 7 chipset) then number one get it replaced, the gateway has been problematic from first deployment as the Puma chipset is flawed.....the Technicolor CGM4140COM (broadcom chipset) is the base unit you want, super steady, great coverage and improved range for most people it will be night and day for quality of service and throughput.

Many cableco's invested a lot of money into purchasing gateways and keep them in service, most of their technicians do not even know that they have two different models in service as they look identical from the outside. CSR's will push the free mesh pucks which have low bandwidth, or the high bandwidth pucks with an additional monthly cost. To me the low bandwidth pucks are garbage, might get a bit better range but the price is low relatively low bandwidth so why pay for a high bandwidth package only to limit your actual speed with low bandwidth connection points. The high bandwidth pucks work much better, there are some issues and personally why bother if the main culprit in many cases is a faulty Arris gateway.

The real solution IMHO is to ensure you have the non faulty Technicolor gateway that is capable of steady performance, only when you have issues beyond that do you get into next steps IMHO.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)