• May 22nd, 2019 6:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 8, 2009
258 posts
62 upvotes

Help With Full-Motion Mount Without Studs

Hi All,

Wanted your opinion if this was possible. I want to mount a full motion mount with a 50 inch tv, there are no studs in the drywall i want to mount to as its a wall protecting the side of an AC unit, picture of layout attached. Would it be possible to just use snap toggles to get it done? Mount below,

Thanks

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0785Q ... UTF8&psc=1
Images
  • TV Mount.jpg
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9647 posts
5038 upvotes
Paris
A full motion mount that pulls off the wall and toggles are incompatible. Toggles are great for force directly down, but fail miserably at force pulling them horizontally.

There are stands that would work, but they aren’t cheap.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2304 posts
1281 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Your best bet would be to put a 2x6 piece of wood across that wall. There will be studs to anchor it to in each corner of the wall.. Then install the mount on the 2x6 piece of wood
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2963 posts
1571 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't do it
Find stud support
Or get a stand
Nov 25, 2007
174 posts
66 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I do agree that studs are always the best option. I was surprised how well different anchors did.
May 17, 2006
526 posts
90 upvotes
Unclebeuford wrote: I do agree that studs are always the best option. I was surprised how well different anchors did.
This is an awesome find! Thanks! Very interesting.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
380 upvotes
Markham, ON
linske wrote: Hi All,

Wanted your opinion if this was possible. I want to mount a full motion mount with a 50 inch tv, there are no studs in the drywall i want to mount to as its a wall protecting the side of an AC unit, picture of layout attached. Would it be possible to just use snap toggles to get it done? Mount below,

Thanks

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0785Q ... UTF8&psc=1
I definitely won't feel safe mounting an full motion arm on drywall...maybe okay if the TV is <20lbs and you don't move the arm out.

Isn't that Square X thing the supporting column tho? (e.g. concrete)