None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12151 posts
8893 upvotes
GTA, ON

Help with full-motion tv wall mount

So I just ordered this full-motion wall mount for my tv which I want to mount in my bedroom. I need one that can swivel because the wall is off-center (corner) to the viewing area so it needs to be moved slightly right and swivel a couple of degrees.

ImageImage

The issue is where the studs are located. I have 3 available studs, one dead center to the wall and the other two equal distance apart on either side. Unfortunately the wall mount portion is not wide enough to hit two studs unless I mount it extremely to the left or the right. Pardon my picture, it's definitely not to scale, but you get the point. I want to make the tv as dead center to the wall as possible for aesthetics.

I was wondering if I could get way with using a combination of 6 toggler bolts (4 top and 2 bottom) plus an additional two screws (top & bottom) into the center stud? It's an older 37" Sharp, 31lbs + 15.4lbs (mount).

Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
19 replies
Apr 30, 2013
756 posts
416 upvotes
King City
Why not mount it to the left or right and swivel it to the center?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12151 posts
8893 upvotes
GTA, ON
freeforall wrote: Why not mount it to the left or right and swivel it to the center?
My picture isn't not to scale. I will take a photograph when I get home and it will give a better picture of what I mean.

I'm not sure how far the mount can move laterally.

Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1790 posts
897 upvotes
Alberta
If it's only 37" tv, it will hold just fine on center stud with normal screws right into the wood. If you want it to stay center all the time, you can add a few drywall anchors into the drywall and put in the screws, but it's mainly from preventing the mount from shifting a bit on the center axis. Really if it was me, just two screws down the center and be done with it. Done it before for bigger TVs with no issue.

Edit: Just realized it's a swivel mount. In this case, I would put a few drywall anchors in as well, and beefier screws into the center stud. If it's a newer tv it should be fine as it will be light enough.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3293 posts
1388 upvotes
Airdrie
chimaican wrote: I was wondering if I could get way with using a combination of 6 toggle bolts (4 top and 2 bottom) plus an additional two screws (top & bottom) into the center stud? It's an older 37" Sharp, 31lbs + 15.4lbs (mount).

I think that's more than enough. Might consider 1/4" lag bolts into the stud, then just 2 toggles on each side should be plenty.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Yep, i have used togglers quite often. They work well. plus your tv is only 37"

2 togglers each side plus 2 lags in the middle. The mount will likely come with the lag screws.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1197 posts
299 upvotes
Vaughan
jdewit wrote: I think that's more than enough. Might consider 1/4" lag bolts into the stud, then just 2 toggles on each side should be plenty.
I think that's enough too.. I mounted a 47inch tv in my condo using toggle hollow wall anchors only. It had to hold completely on the drywall because I didn't have wood studs to hang them on (condo was framed using metal studs). Mind you that I didn't have a swivel tv mount, it was just a flat one so I didn't move it at all.

these are similar ones I used and I probably put in eight of them to be safe.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.18-- ... 40259.html

I think you can either make sure you get the middle stud holding at least two screws and use the toggles for the rest. or if you want to be supersafe, you'll have to anchor in a 2x4 which is a lot of work.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12151 posts
8893 upvotes
GTA, ON
otaknap wrote: I think that's enough too.. I mounted a 47inch tv in my condo using toggle hollow wall anchors only. It had to hold completely on the drywall because I didn't have wood studs to hang them on (condo was framed using metal studs). Mind you that I didn't have a swivel tv mount, it was just a flat one so I didn't move it at all.

these are similar ones I used and I probably put in eight of them to be safe.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.18-- ... 40259.html

I think you can either make sure you get the middle stud holding at least two screws and use the toggles for the rest. or if you want to be supersafe, you'll have to anchor in a 2x4 which is a lot of work.
Was actually thinking of using these, which are much stronger.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.14-t ... 40135.html

Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
otaknap wrote: I think that's enough too.. I mounted a 47inch tv in my condo using toggle hollow wall anchors only. It had to hold completely on the drywall because I didn't have wood studs to hang them on (condo was framed using metal studs). .
A trick with metal studs, place the anchors so they go into the metal stud. Then use toggler (thats toggleR not toggle) bolts like what chimaican showed, into the hole in the stud. The metal of the stud will hold way stronger then just drywall, kind of like putting a metal washer behind the drywall.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
I do not generally recommend using an articulating bracket with toggle bolts that are not all going into studs. Reason being that if anyone puts any downward pressure on the TV it could pull of the wall pretty easy.
However, because this is such a small TV you may be ok.

And that bracket actually looks way too big for a 37" TV.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12151 posts
8893 upvotes
GTA, ON
BuildingHomes wrote: I do not generally recommend using an articulating bracket with toggle bolts that are not all going into studs. Reason being that if anyone puts any downward pressure on the TV it could pull of the wall pretty easy.

The bracket is definitely large. It's for 37"-70" tvs. The smaller one is 32"-65" but this one was on sale. It's VESA is compatible. I also checked the listed measurements and both the wall portion and the tv portion width are smaller than the width of the actual tv.

I agree I wouldn't consider using toggler anchor toggles for an articulating mount but I am going to use two lag screws in the center stud with the remaining 4 (2 on each side) as support. The tv is going over my dresser and I'm not likely going to be moving it from it's position once set.

Do you recommend another way of doing it?

Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
chimaican wrote: Do you recommend another way of doing it?
Sure, just sit it on the dresser.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12151 posts
8893 upvotes
GTA, ON
BuildingHomes wrote: Sure, just sit it on the dresser.
It's on the dresser right now but I want a cleaner look plus want the surface of my dresser back.

I may be able to mount it onto two studs and still have the centered look. It depends on how much lateral shift I can get from the mount.

Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1110 posts
78 upvotes
Ajax
chimaican wrote: Was actually thinking of using these, which are much stronger.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.14-t ... 40135.html
I haven't used these on that style of TV mount, but I have used these to hold up a lot of other TV mounts and several Ikea wall cabinets that held heavy catalogs.
Long and short, you will be fine as planned.
Oh boy, Buffalo testicles!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1661 posts
1234 upvotes
Ottawa
I installed a number of these for friends and family. Your approach is more than fine.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12151 posts
8893 upvotes
GTA, ON
The mount got delivered and I took a closer look, and it seems I can't lug to the stud in the center. The hole is off center to the right or left. I'm now considering bracing it instead across the 3 studs. I need at least 3' to brace all three studs. The two mount holing strips are approximately 8" apart.

What's best to use?
1) 1/2" plywood cut 1' x 3'?
2) two pine strips of 1 (.75") x 2 x 3ft set 8" apart

Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5027 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Kind of related to the OP's question but is it possible to hang an articulating/full motion mount with toggle bolts to a metal stud? I want to hang a 50" TV (46lb) in my condo (interior wall) but it seems like a metal stud may not hold up well to swivelling or tilting the TV. Am I likely SOL?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
I think the general consensus is to not directly hang it off metal studs. I've read about people opening up the wall to put wood studs in for TV mounts. I suspect you may be able to screw a plywood sheet to several studs, then attach the mount onto the plywood.

I have zero experience with metal studs, so you'll need to confirm everything I wrote ;)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1110 posts
78 upvotes
Ajax
chimaican wrote: The mount got delivered and I took a closer look, and it seems I can't lug to the stud in the center. The hole is off center to the right or left. I'm now considering bracing it instead across the 3 studs. I need at least 3' to brace all three studs. The two mount holing strips are approximately 8" apart.

What's best to use?
1) 1/2" plywood cut 1' x 3'?
2) two pine strips of 1 (.75") x 2 x 3ft set 8" apart
Drill a hole through the mount for a lag screw into the stud.
Oh boy, Buffalo testicles!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3226 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
BuildingHomes wrote: I do not generally recommend using an articulating bracket with toggle bolts that are not all going into studs. Reason being that if anyone puts any downward pressure on the TV it could pull of the wall pretty easy.

+1 on the size of the bracket. We've got that exact same type of bracket for our 60" plasma TV!

In our case I built a frame using 2x4s on top of the studs and then put plywood (3/4") on the frame. Painted everything the same colour as the wall and then installed the bracket. Dead solid. However, for a smaller TV I would have gone with a smaller, single-arm bracket. That bracket is probably as heavy as your 37" TV!