Cell Phones

(Help) Is this a good iPhone X deal from Fido??

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2019 1:02 am
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes

(Help) Is this a good iPhone X deal from Fido??

Hey guys,

So I want to get a new iphone X and since i was with Fido for the past 1.5 years, I called them up to see what deals I can get. After talking to retention department, the guy offered me (maxed out option according to him) a $63/month (after tax, 5GB, unlimited minutes) for 2 years and $449 up front cost for the phone. This will be considered a medium plan I believe.

Is this a good deal at the moment? I have searched past iphone X deals and there were really good deals with Koodo before. If there is any better iphone X deal at the moment, please let me know.

Thanks!
23 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1327 posts
944 upvotes
Pickering
I am by no means an expert and you'll probably get a better answer from other RFD'ers, but in my PERSONAL opinion, not really. It's soon to be a two year old phone, and the plan seems to be be like most other plans out there. I'd go for it if you're happy with it, but I *believe better can he had if you perhaps wait out a little while longer and see what your options are after the release of the new iPhone, this September. Or Black Friday/Boxing Day if you're willing to wait that long.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1319 posts
358 upvotes
Halifax
Not really a good price for such an old phone. Plan is also mediocre.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2987 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Not a good deal, considering a lot of us got it for free or almost free on a $60+ tax 5 gb/unlimited plan, more than a year ago (winback offer).
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2426 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
dgnbach wrote: Hey guys,

So I want to get a new iphone X and since i was with Fido for the past 1.5 years, I called them up to see what deals I can get. After talking to retention department, the guy offered me (maxed out option according to him) a $63/month (after tax, 5GB, unlimited minutes) for 2 years and $449 up front cost for the phone. This will be considered a medium plan I believe.

Is this a good deal at the moment? I have searched past iphone X deals and there were really good deals with Koodo before. If there is any better iphone X deal at the moment, please let me know.

Thanks!
Crappy offer, dont bother.
The phone is 1.5 years old now, fido used to offer this for free or $100 to many customers.
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
ak-47 wrote: Not a good deal, considering a lot of us got it for free or almost free on a $60+ tax 5 gb/unlimited plan, more than a year ago (winback offer).
Yea i agree but winback offer is only for some customers. Also, since this is not the season for sales its hard for me to ask for more :(. Anyone knows any other deal from koodo or other carriers?
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
AirTimid wrote: Not really a good price for such an old phone. Plan is also mediocre.
Brother the iphone X is still the second best one of Apple at the moment (only behind the XS line and way better than the XR). Also, the phone was released only for more than a year so it is not an old phone at all.. If you use Fido you know that they wont offer any deal for less than $50/month. If you think this a mediocre can you please give me another deal that is not?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1319 posts
358 upvotes
Halifax
dgnbach wrote: Brother the iphone X is still the second best one of Apple at the moment (only behind the XS line and way better than the XR). Also, the phone was released only for more than a year so it is not an old phone at all.. If you use Fido you know that they wont offer any deal for less than $50/month. If you think this a mediocre can you please give me another deal that is not?
Aside from screen, extra camera and build quality I'm not sure why the X is way better than the XR. XR has bigger screen, better camera, faster and better battery. Performance wise, it's pretty close to the XS.
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
AirTimid wrote: Aside from screen, extra camera and build quality I'm not sure why the X is way better than the XR. XR has bigger screen, better camera, faster and better battery. Performance wise, it's pretty close to the XS.
I think you should google to see the specs of the iphone X and XR.

Bigger screen? Yes, you are talking about 0.3 inch bigger. And in return you get a retina screen (which is even worse than the 6 plus in 2014) instead of an OLED screen. Also, your pixels went down by 40%.

Camera? How is the camera on XR better? XR has a single 12 mp camera while the X has double. Only XS & XS max can compare with X in terms of camera.

Battery? Sure. But you are talking about an 1hour extra screen time. I don't think this worth the trade off the things mentioned above.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1319 posts
358 upvotes
Halifax
I think you need to google the XR, it appears you don't have the full picture or are ignoring the facts. The biggest difference between the XR and XS is screen and build, plus the XS comes in 2 sizes. You are comparing a 1.5yr flagship with a current device. The main camera in the XR is the sames as the XS, the XR just doesn't have the telephoto, which is typically used for portraits. The XR can do portrait and bokeh via software, which is what google does and Google's camera is most often referred to as the best overall smartphone for photos. Anyways, I'm not going to change your mind, spend the money on the X with the mediocre plan. Enjoy.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
I have both. And I can tell you that XR is much better in terms of photograph quality, battery life and screen size.

In terms of photography, the colours seem more natural on the XR, they seem crisper and hands down beats my X in terms of overall quality. Portrait mode camera is a gimmick and funny enough XR software rendering beats the hell out of the X portrait lense. Which originally I thought was not possible.

Battery life is about 3 hours better in the XR. I even put a new battery in late December in the X, but it really didn’t change the battery performance for me. XR kills it.

Yes OLED is nice but I personally can’t tell the difference with a naked eye. Screen on the XR when putting it next to X looks huge. I find reading on the XR much more enjoyable along with typing.

I do miss the smaller form factor of the X, however other than that I don’t miss anything else really.

As for the price point the X should be $99 or $199 at the most for the plan you are getting.

It’s your money though, best of luck.
Dec 15, 2007
134 posts
17 upvotes
seems way too much, I would get the XR. I have the xs max and the battery life is horrible.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18835 posts
4944 upvotes
Toronto
The X is better than XR in terms of pixel density, black levels, and having a 2nd lens. The XR is better because it has a better camera, it has an affordable 128 GB upgrade option (instead of being forced to choose between 64 and 256 GB), has much better battery life, supports Zoomed Display, has a bigger screen, and shows as much on screen info as the XS Max.

What some people don’t realize is that the XR and XS Max both show 20% more on screen data than the X and XS.
Jun 11, 2018
130 posts
93 upvotes
This turned into a debate about which Iphone model was better..

To answer OPs question :

No.

You can find the X for 0$ with most carriers now in Silver with a 60-70$ plan.
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
Demagogue wrote: This turned into a debate about which Iphone model was better..

To answer OPs question :

No.

You can find the X for 0$ with most carriers now in Silver with a 60-70$ plan.
Please tell me the name of the carriers or give me the link and I promise you i will sign up today without a second thought. Do not just throw a random ball out there without any proof. I've checked with every single carrier and theres no such thing as you mentioned. "Most carriers" LMAO? Are you in Canada bro?
Jun 11, 2018
130 posts
93 upvotes
dgnbach wrote: Please tell me the name of the carriers or give me the link and I promise you i will sign up today without a second thought. Do not just throw a random ball out there without any proof. I've checked with every single carrier and theres no such thing as you mentioned. "Most carriers" LMAO? Are you in Canada bro?
So you ask for advice and then ridicule the responses because there wasn't sufficient information according to you?

The better approach would have been to ask me where I got one since I just did... I would've posted a receipt or PM'd you a copy.

Since you want to be all "LMAO, Y0u 3v3n in CaNaDa Br0o0o0o0."

Have a great day, best of luck on your search.
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
Demagogue wrote: So you ask for advice and then ridicule the responses because there wasn't sufficient information according to you?

The better approach would have been to ask me where I got one since I just did... I would've posted a receipt or PM'd you a copy.

Since you want to be all "LMAO, Y0u 3v3n in CaNaDa Br0o0o0o0."

Have a great day, best of luck on your search.
Maybe you should go back to previous page and look at how you provided your "advice". Why don't you just mention the carrier or whatever way you did to get the plan you mentioned. All you did was to throw in some random information and have nothing to back it up. I suggest you put yourself in the position of someone who is eagerly looking for a deal and theres this guy shaming the deal by giving some random info out of the blue.
Jun 11, 2018
130 posts
93 upvotes
dgnbach wrote: Maybe you should go back to previous page and look at how you provided your "advice". Why don't you just mention the carrier or whatever way you did to get the plan you mentioned. All you did was to throw in some random information and have nothing to back it up. I suggest you put yourself in the position of someone who is eagerly looking for a deal and theres this guy shaming the deal by giving some random info out of the blue.
I didn't position any "Advice" I stated a point that you were unhappy with. I said you were seeking "advice" and you have shot down every suggestion made to you..

Also, I would have loved to elaborate on how I got my phone but you seem very aggressive online for no reason.

Carriers will begin to lower Iphone X to 0-99$ as corporate plans are already 0$.

Cell phone prices are coming down as sales have become stagnant in the mobile market for specific brands/models.

This will be my last response, learn to better your approach before you ask for assistance. Everyone responding cares enough to respond for the sake of the community.

Take care.
[OP]
Banned
May 2, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
Demagogue wrote: I didn't position any "Advice" I stated a point that you were unhappy with. I said you were seeking "advice" and you have shot down every suggestion made to you..

Also, I would have loved to elaborate on how I got my phone but you seem very aggressive online for no reason.

Carriers will begin to lower Iphone X to 0-99$ as corporate plans are already 0$.

Cell phone prices are coming down as sales have become stagnant in the mobile market for specific brands/models.

This will be my last response, learn to better your approach before you ask for assistance. Everyone responding cares enough to respond for the sake of the community.

Take care.
Why don't you just elaborate how you got your plan in the first place? What is the point to trigger someone who is eagerly looking for a deal?

Oh.. and now u said carrier "WILL BEGIN" to lower to 0-99$. Didn't you say I can get it now at most carriers with $0? You are clearly a hypocrite who wants attention instead of actually provide some useful insights for OP.