Home & Garden

HELP! Hardwood manufacturing defect? Pro's please chime in!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2020 3:55 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
11 posts

HELP! Hardwood manufacturing defect? Pro's please chime in!

One year ago we moved into a new home. Upon doing so we decided to replace all flooring. The house is 3,800 sqft and we needed approximately 3,500 sqft of hardwood.

Upon recommendation we decided to purchase from a company called Amazon in Markham.

We opted for a 6 3/4" wide plank, 3/4" thick, engineered hickory. Hardwood was supplied from a company called Biyork Canada.

We first contacted Amazon to know we had issues on May 22nd. We first heard back from Biyork on June 3rd. Biyork came to the house on June 18th to inspect the wood. They could find nothing wrong with the install, no moisture damage, humidity level was fine, etc. At that time the rep said it certainly looked like a manufacturing issue and could not explain the "flaking" or reasoning behind it. They said they were filing a report and we
re probably going to need at least half a day to fix all the spots/issues (sand, re-stain and top seal) and would likely need a small crew. I asked the rep if he would be the one doing the repair and he said "no".

Jump forward almost a month, I asked for an update as I hadn't heard back from Biyork. I heard back from Biyork on August 11th but with it being the summer and juggling working from home and vacation they didn't actually come by until this past Friday (September 4th). It was the same rep that came to the house, and he was by himself. Came in our front door and within seconds knew there was no way he could handle the task himself (we were asked to mark all the damaged spots with a small piece of masking tape). He brought out a small can of stain and attempted trying to re-stain some small spots which of course was pointless and did nothing. He then took more pictures, and said it looked worse than the first time, which may have been true but we took the time to mark all the spots this time. He got on the phone again with his boss/manager and said there was no way this was repairable (at least by him). Again I was shocked because he told me the first time it would not be him that would be doing the repair. I also found out he did not file an official report as he said he would. I asked again about the warranty and what would be done, he couldn't comment other than saying that they had to get in touch with the actual factory that manufactured the wood. He took more pictures of the damage, pictures of our receipt along with pictures from the original boxes (lot # etc.) Biyork said they would get back to us this Tuesday, after labour day.

My fear is even if they try to repair it, the flooring will continue to deteriorate. Clearly this is a manufacturing defect!

Videos:

(good visuals)
(good visuals)

(good visuals)
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33917 posts
19761 upvotes
Ottawa
That's terrible.
I don't have any helpful suggestions, other than pushing for the contractor to repair it.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1264 posts
693 upvotes
ottawa
Yikes seriously you'd have to sand quite a bit down to get to some decent wood before staining and sealing. Did it come with the textured feel? They'd probably need to brush it with steel wires after sanding to get that texture back before staining and sealing too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8929 posts
4553 upvotes
Paris
That looks like engineered hardware and the top layer of laminated wood is flaking off. Do you remember if it was supposed to be solid or engineered?
Sep 23, 2019
116 posts
175 upvotes
Jerico wrote: That looks like engineered hardware and the top layer of laminated wood is flaking off. Do you remember if it was supposed to be solid or engineered?
As planks are 6 3/4'', I am assuming this is engineered wood - they would not make solid wood that wide as it would expand/shrink too much. To me, this looks clearly like a manufacturing defect, as I am assuming that most of the time humidity in your house is 30-60%. Is this in the basement or on the main/second floor?
2 years ago we installed 7'' wide engineered wood planks (manufacturer Preverco, grey) and have 0 problems. Ours have "oil" protection, so we were supposed to apply oil about once a year, but we never did yet and have no plans.
May 15, 2017
148 posts
117 upvotes
That is horrible and I am sorry you are going through this.

I would imagine you paid a pretty penny to purchase and have 3500 sq ft of hardwood installed. A company needs to stand by their product and do the right thing when it doesn't perform as advertised.

I'm not a pro by any means, but it looks like a manufacturing defect. Can something like this even be properly repaired on site? I'm guessing not. I would be reaching out to the manufacturer again (move up the chain of command) and express your concerns.

Is this something that needs to be entirely replaced?
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
11 posts
Jerico wrote: That looks like engineered hardware and the top layer of laminated wood is flaking off. Do you remember if it was supposed to be solid or engineered?
Indeed it's engineered.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
11 posts
RedFlagAlias wrote: Is this in the basement or on the main/second floor?
First floor, 2nd floor and 3rd floor loft. In total about 3500 sqft of this particular product.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
11 posts
turtler wrote: I'm not a pro by any means, but it looks like a manufacturing defect. Can something like this even be properly repaired on site? I'm guessing not. I would be reaching out to the manufacturer again (move up the chain of command) and express your concerns.

Is this something that needs to be entirely replaced?
This is our guess as well. How the hell are they going to repair it? And beyond that how would they even ensure it doesn't happen again or elsewhere?

We're both starting to think it's going to have to be entirely replaced. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8929 posts
4553 upvotes
Paris
KathieD92427 wrote: This is our guess as well. How the hell are they going to repair it? And beyond that how would they even ensure it doesn't happen again or elsewhere?

We're both starting to think it's going to have to be entirely replaced. Disappointed But Relieved Face
I’d be screen shoting or ensuring your printed warranty is saved and ready.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2848 posts
1850 upvotes
Toronto
Keep documenting all the issues, and keep paper trails of all the communications. Mail registered letters.

Sadly this product is clearly manufactured overseas (watch the video of the factory tour) and is probably sold under 100 different names.
Sep 7, 2020
1 posts
Newbie, is 30-60% humidity considered "acceptable range" within which the hardwood reacts properly? I saw a sign that said 35-48%. Which one's correct?
Kathie, I feel your pain. I have my own share of problems with the newly installed hardwood. Very frustrating as there's no accountability.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
11 posts
Bramella wrote: Newbie, is 30-60% humidity considered "acceptable range" within which the hardwood reacts properly? I saw a sign that said 35-48%. Which one's correct?
Kathie, I feel your pain. I have my own share of problems with the newly installed hardwood. Very frustrating as there's no accountability.
When the rep was here and he did the test I was told it was in an acceptable range. The first time he came he had a tool to test the wood, the second time I just took the reading from my thermostat.