Automotive

Help - Hit and run in a parking lot, caught the dude but not sure what to do.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2018 10:58 am
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
375 posts
37 upvotes

Help - Hit and run in a parking lot, caught the dude but not sure what to do.

Hey everyone, yesterday my uncle-in-law was sitting in his car in a parking lot when his car was struck by another driver reversing out of their parking spot. There were few long scratches on the fender. The car happened to be on at the time and dashcam caught the accident. He honked repeatedly for the other driver to stop but the other driver just drove off. So my uncle-in-law went on a wild goose chase to get the other driver to stop. He finally caught the driver at a red, ran up to him and got him to pull into a gas station. The other driver claim he didn't know he hit the car but he didn't seem surprised as per my uncle-in-law. The other driver kept rushing my uncle-in-law, saying he's in a hurry etc. He offered $100 for the damage but my uncle-in-law refused. So then the driver suggest to meet on Saturday and get the car fixed at a shop he knows. He was adamant on leaving as he's in a rush and claims the police/insurance won't do anything because it happened in a parking lot. My uncle-in-law was worried he won't be able to reach the driver after this so he took $100 from him at the time and wrote a note indicating that $100 was received and they will discuss how to get the car fixed. We texted the driver later on in the evening and gave him the option of either getting it fixed at a shop we trust or at a dealership or alternatively, through insurance. The driver said he wants another day to think about it and if we want, we can go through insurance and "have them sue each other (lol?)". At the moment, we did not report this at a collision center nor did we notify our insurance yet. Any advice on how we should approach this?
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16496 posts
9293 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How bad are the scratches on the bumper?

Most bumper 'accidents' will require at the minimum a complete respray of the bumper which will be a few hundred if you are lucky. If there are any deep scratches or bumper cover damage (ie cracks or dents), then you are looking at a replacement bumper which is over $1000 at least.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1785 posts
1212 upvotes
Ottawa
miorya wrote: Hey everyone, yesterday my uncle-in-law was sitting in his car in a parking lot when his car was struck by another driver reversing out of their parking spot. There were few long scratches on the fender. The car happened to be on at the time and dashcam caught the accident. He honked repeatedly for the other driver to stop but the other driver just drove off. So my uncle-in-law went on a wild goose chase to get the other driver to stop. He finally caught the driver at a red, ran up to him and got him to pull into a gas station. The other driver claim he didn't know he hit the car but he didn't seem surprised as per my uncle-in-law. The other driver kept rushing my uncle-in-law, saying he's in a hurry etc. He offered $100 for the damage but my uncle-in-law refused. So then the driver suggest to meet on Saturday and get the car fixed at a shop he knows. He was adamant on leaving as he's in a rush and claims the police/insurance won't do anything because it happened in a parking lot. My uncle-in-law was worried he won't be able to reach the driver after this so he took $100 from him at the time and wrote a note indicating that $100 was received and they will discuss how to get the car fixed. We texted the driver later on in the evening and gave him the option of either getting it fixed at a shop we trust or at a dealership or alternatively, through insurance. The driver said he wants another day to think about it and if we want, we can go through insurance and "have them sue each other (lol?)". At the moment, we did not report this at a collision center nor did we notify our insurance yet. Any advice on how we should approach this?
You have a dashcam showing you were stationary, go through insurance now no fault on your side of things 100% on the other driver. He sound super sketchy and probably won’t pay anything.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
miorya wrote: Hey everyone, yesterday my uncle-in-law was sitting in his car in a parking lot when his car was struck by another driver reversing out of their parking spot. There were few long scratches on the fender. The car happened to be on at the time and dashcam caught the accident. He honked repeatedly for the other driver to stop but the other driver just drove off. So my uncle-in-law went on a wild goose chase to get the other driver to stop. He finally caught the driver at a red, ran up to him and got him to pull into a gas station. The other driver claim he didn't know he hit the car but he didn't seem surprised as per my uncle-in-law. The other driver kept rushing my uncle-in-law, saying he's in a hurry etc. He offered $100 for the damage but my uncle-in-law refused. So then the driver suggest to meet on Saturday and get the car fixed at a shop he knows. He was adamant on leaving as he's in a rush and claims the police/insurance won't do anything because it happened in a parking lot. My uncle-in-law was worried he won't be able to reach the driver after this so he took $100 from him at the time and wrote a note indicating that $100 was received and they will discuss how to get the car fixed. We texted the driver later on in the evening and gave him the option of either getting it fixed at a shop we trust or at a dealership or alternatively, through insurance. The driver said he wants another day to think about it and if we want, we can go through insurance and "have them sue each other (lol?)". At the moment, we did not report this at a collision center nor did we notify our insurance yet. Any advice on how we should approach this?
Doesn't sound like he intends to pay for anything.
I'm guessing that he will not be returning any of your text or phone calls either at this point...I know exactly the type.
Report to collision and go through insurance...
I would think that since you were parked at the time, his insurance should cover the deductible.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2742 posts
1973 upvotes
I wouldnt consider this a laughing matter. I'd be having the last laugh.
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18514 posts
2890 upvotes
Langley
Report it. It's still a collision and he's still liable. The fact it's in a parking lot doesn't make any difference, that's just a popular myth. Your uncle should let him know that he's filed a claim and offer to return the $100 since the other party will certainly be found at fault and he won't have to pay the deductible. Since it's a hit and run which is a crime, he should also send the video to the police, although there's a 99.9% chance they won't do anything about it. The guy is clearly an ******* for running, so he's lost any and all right to ask to resolve the matter outside of insurance.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
375 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks everyone, I'll pass the info on and see what my uncle-in-law wants to do. The driver was still responding to text as of earlier today. We're a little hesitant with the dashcam because unfortunately when my uncle-in-law was trying to catch the guy, he made a U-turn on a red. Not sure if we show that to insurance/police if there's gonna be negative repercussions.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Can't believe people are so dumb about it, I don't mean him I mean you !
All you had to do was get his license number and make a police report ...it already a done deal !
...but now the guy can go to the police station and make a report that you hit him instead. Dash cam or no dash cam these footage are rarely even admitted as evidence as they can be altered .
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
375 posts
37 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: Can't believe people are so dumb about it, I don't mean him I mean you !
All you had to do was get his license number and make a police report ...it already a done deal !
...but now the guy can go to the police station and make a report that you hit him instead. Dash cam or no dash cam these footage are rarely even admitted as evidence as they can be altered .
From what I can see from the footage there wasn't much time to get the plate. My uncle-in-law got out to try to flag him but he was far away already.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
miorya wrote: From what I can see from the footage there wasn't much time to get the plate. My uncle-in-law got out to try to flag him but he was far away already.
Even worse footage with no license plate shown, he followed him to the red light did he even get his license plate ?
This is a minor "crime" imagine if you lent your car to someone and they killed someone and it all leads back to you ?
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
EdT586 wrote: but now the guy can go to the police station and make a report that you hit him instead. Dash cam or no dash cam these footage are rarely even admitted as evidence as they can be altered .
If this guy wants to claim that OP's uncle hit him instead, I fail to see how any action (or lack of action) on OP's part would stop him from doing so.
I also fail to see why the dash cam footage wouldn't be admissible in court in such case...I'm pretty sure if push came to shove, the footage could be examined by expert to rule out any tampering on OP's part..
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
angry-trucker wrote: If this guy wants to claim that OP's uncle hit him instead, I fail to see how any action (or lack of action) on OP's part would stop him from doing so.
I also fail to see why the dash cam footage wouldn't be admissible in court in such case...I'm pretty sure if push came to shove, the footage could be examined by expert to rule out any tampering on OP's part..
If the OP's uncle had his license plate he could of made a police report regardless, if he didn't even have his license that smells a lot like "hit 'n run" he is the responsible party who just took off without even getting the other driver's license plate ! A joint report is the best solution to this, since the other driver just took off and was even confronted by his uncle there is no reason why he still wasn't able to get his license !

The same with back-up cameras even though they will be mandatory equipment on new cars this year, can this be admitted as evidence if you hit some without turning your head to back-up as required by the driver's code ? Are driving school teaching people not to turn around and look before backing up ?
Last edited by EdT586 on Jan 10th, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
375 posts
37 upvotes
It's hard to completely make out the plate but the other driver exchanged info with us after we caught up to him and asked him to pull into a gas station.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
miorya wrote: It's hard to completely make out the plate but the other driver exchanged info with us after we caught up to him and asked him to pull into a gas station.
If you had enough time to exchange information, then you had enough time to take a photo with your smartphone of his plates.
He would have to be a really stupid person to even acknowledges he knows you after you contact him. It's your words against his and it will end with nothing solved.
If your deductible is $500-$1000 its a lost cause as the repair will not cost that much to even make a claim. You will be lucky if he doesn't make police report claiming your uncle who hit him and ran !
Last edited by EdT586 on Jan 10th, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
375 posts
37 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: If you had enough time to exchange information, then you had enough time to take a photo with your smartphone of his plates.
He would have to be a really stupid person to even acknowledges he knows you after you contact him. It's your words against his and it will end with nothing solved.
If your deductible is $500-$1000 its a lost cause as the repair will not cost that much to even make a claim.
And that's what happened. By exchanging info, I meant we took pics of his plate and driver's license.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
EdT586 wrote: If the OP's uncle had his license plate he could of made a police report regardless, if he didn't even have his license that smells a lot like "hit 'n run" he is the responsible party who just took off without even getting the other driver's license plate ! A joint report is the best solution to this, since the other driver just took off and was even confronted by his uncle there is no reason why he still wasn't able to get his license !
Buddy...read what you wrote, as you are not making any sense.
How is OP's uncle responsible for this douche bag taking off?
Also, how do you propose they facilitate this "joined report", when the other driver obviously isn't interested in doing so, judging by the way he was trying to get away and bribe OP's uncle to keep it off the books?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
miorya wrote: And that's what happened. By exchanging info, I meant we took pics of his plate and driver's license.
Ok at least that your covered, but it will still be an uphill battle if you want him to pay for the full amount !
You should always keep several copies of "Joint Report" handy in your glove compartment. They are available from your insurance company or at the police station.
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/the-acc ... ort/58851/
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
angry-trucker wrote: Buddy...read what you wrote, as you are not making any sense.
How is OP's uncle responsible for this douche bag taking off?
Also, how do you propose they facilitate this "joined report", when the other driver obviously isn't interested in doing so, judging by the way he was trying to get away and bribe OP's uncle to keep it off the books?
Either party can claim the other took off ...simple as that !
Making a police report is one sided. You don't need the other party, hence you done your part nor is it a precursor to file a claim which would make it a lot easier if they do choose to make a claim and even a requirement in the province of Quebec !
Last edited by EdT586 on Jan 10th, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
EdT586 wrote: Either party can claim the other took off ...simple as that !
Yes...anybody can claim anything at any time, but the way you formulated your reply had no logic or reason behind it.
Also, those joint report forms you provided link to are for Quebec only...not sure how you figured out OP's incident happened in Quebec, since there is no mention of location.
And again...how is OP's uncle "responsible" for this guy taking off?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
angry-trucker wrote: Yes...anybody can claim anything at any time, but the way you formulated your reply had no logic or reason behind it.
Also, those joint report forms you provided link to are for Quebec only...not sure how you figured out OP's incident happened in Quebec, since there is no mention of location.
And again...how is OP's uncle "responsible" for this guy taking off?

OMG ...you still don't get it do you ! ...LoL
The guy can claim his uncle took off if he had his license plate and his uncle didn't make a police report nor have his license plate ...get it ?
Ontario ...errr GTA is famous for people(shady immigrants) who back up to you on red lights and claim you hit them from the back !
Last edited by EdT586 on Jan 10th, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.