Shopping Discussion

HELP-- I Bought an item online, calculated shipping and PAID THE BILL- now FedEx sent me a bill???

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2021 12:37 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2021
1 posts

HELP-- I Bought an item online, calculated shipping and PAID THE BILL- now FedEx sent me a bill???

I Bought an item online, calculated shipping and PAID THE BILL- now FedEx sent me a bill???

I have never had this problem before. I put item in Cart, calculated shipping and paid the bill. Item
was shipped to me.... thought that was it.

2 months later, FEDEX sends me a bill for customs????? I was never told of this, I didnt even know the
item was coming from another country. I paid my shipping cost.. BUT NOW FEDEX WONT STOP HARASSING ME OVER $76. This is ridiculous. Can someone please help. What can I do? I disputed it twice in writing but they deny the dispute.

thx, Eric
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6111 posts
7548 upvotes
GTA
The government charges taxes and duties on certain products imported into the country and Fedex collects it for them for a (large) fee. The retailer doesn't have to do it. I'm not sure how you wouldn't know that it was being shipped from another country. I know Amazon specifies the shipping country if it's not Canada.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15340 posts
20717 upvotes
Vancouver
tew wrote: The government charges taxes and duties on certain products imported into the country and Fedex collects it for them for a (large) fee. The retailer doesn't have to do it. I'm not sure how you wouldn't know that it was being shipped from another country. I know Amazon specifies the shipping country if it's not Canada.
There are some scummy foreign online retailers that disguise themselves as Canadian retailers with .ca domains, shipping charges disclosed at checkout, and all prices in CAD. You’d never suspect it was a foreign retailer stinging you with customs fees unless you clicked “about international shipping” and read the fine print (and why would you think to click there if you thought you were ordering domestically.) Maybe that’s what happened to the OP.

Probikekit.ca is one such retailer. One big red flag though is they don’t charge any sales tax.

Whether what happened was the OP’s fault, FedEx’s fault, or the retailer’s fault is anyone’s guess until he comes back and gives more info.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6953 posts
4685 upvotes
SW ON
Kiraly wrote: One big red flag though is they don’t charge any sales tax.
This! It's a clear indication you will pay tax later and fees for the "privilege" to pay it later.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
tazeric wrote: I Bought an item online, calculated shipping and PAID THE BILL- now FedEx sent me a bill???

I have never had this problem before. I put item in Cart, calculated shipping and paid the bill. Item

2 months later, FEDEX sends me a bill for customs????? I was never told of this, I didnt even know the
item was coming from another country. I paid my shipping cost.. BUT NOW FEDEX WONT STOP HARASSING ME OVER $76. This is ridiculous. Can someone please help. What can I do? I disputed it twice in writing but they deny the dispute.

thx, Eric
As others have mentioned... It's up to you to know what you're buying, and from where. Fedex is collecting the money required by the federal/provincial governments, and remitting it to them. Without knowing what you purchased and from where, and how much you were charged compared to what you paid, it's pretty hard to give relevant advice.

C
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16783 posts
12010 upvotes
Toronto
tazeric wrote: I Bought an item online, calculated shipping and PAID THE BILL- now FedEx sent me a bill???

thx, Eric
Not at all surprising

fedex-sent-me-invoice-duties-sent-collections-2049879/

100-cad-bill-fedex-200-usd-gift-2351165/

fedex-charge-what-my-options-2465127/

after-delivering-homemade-bread-fedex-c ... s-2452794/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
You never need to pay post-delivery invoices.

If FedEx was serious, they would have collected the fees on delivery.

Most people don't pay those invoices and FedEx doesn't expect people to pay either. They'll scare you a bit with a couple letters. If you're a grandma and pay up, it's an easy $76 for them.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2959 posts
3639 upvotes
Langley
Spinner wrote: You never need to pay post-delivery invoices.

Most people don't pay those invoices and FedEx doesn't expect people to pay either. They'll scare you a bit with a couple letters. If you're a grandma and pay up, it's an easy $76 for them.
Commit fraud?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2573 posts
871 upvotes
Spinner wrote: You never need to pay post-delivery invoices.

Terrible advice.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
Dreamrider wrote: Commit fraud?
LOL "fraud"?

Did the recipient enter in an agreed upon contract with FedEx? Nope.

What FedEx has done is the legal equivalent of someone dumping a box of VHS tapes at your front door, then getting an invoice to you a month later and demanding payment.

FedEx performed a service without a contract and then demanded whatever payment they wanted afterwards.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
jrees wrote: Terrible advice.
No, it's the correct legal advice.

There is a reason why no credit reporting agency will accept this collection claim. FedEx can't produce a verbal much less written agreement for this amount owing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
Every time this type of thread comes up, you end with two types of responses.

1) People who know the law and realize this is not a legitimate debt to be paid.

2) People who are scared, don't use critical thinking, and pay the invoice.

Your contract for the online purchase is with the retailer, not FedEx. The courier has a contract with the online retailer, not you. Imagine if the retailer decides to use Fat Tony Courier Ltd. who sends you a $2,000 invoice post-delivery, would you be liable for that amount? The retailer is responsible for getting the product to you based on the checkout and terms of agreement presented on the website. You're not responsible for some other agreement you were never made aware of.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2959 posts
3639 upvotes
Langley
Spinner wrote: LOL "fraud"?

Did the recipient enter in an agreed upon contract with FedEx? Nope.

What FedEx has done is the legal equivalent of someone dumping a box of VHS tapes at your front door, then getting an invoice to you a month later and demanding payment.

FedEx performed a service without a contract and then demanded whatever payment they wanted afterwards.
tazeric wrote: I Bought an item online
so OP didn't ask for this item? Fedex just picked random house and dropped off the package?
It's not Fedex's problem OP didn't know this was coming from US.
That's OP's lesson to learn or take it up with seller.

sure even if OP doesn't pay, not much will probably happen but doesn't mean that's right and should be encouraged.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
Dreamrider wrote: so OP didn't ask for this item? Fedex just picked random house and dropped off the package?
It's not Fedex's problem OP didn't know this was coming from US.
OP purchased this item based on the terms and agreement with the online retailer. That agreement did not say "FedEx will charge you some unknown amount later."
Dreamrider wrote: That's OP's lesson to learn or take it up with seller.

sure even if OP doesn't pay, not much will probably happen but doesn't mean that's right and should be encouraged.
Nope, it's actually a lesson to learn not to pay random invoices that show up in your mailbox.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19061 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't want to pay it, don't. It's unlikely RFD can help unless a member here is able to intervene on your behalf.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
People need to think critically.

Let's pretend you're ignorant of contract law like some people in this thread are.

What happens if OP doesn't have $76? If OP purchased the item, did they also agree to pay whatever FedEx demands? What if FedEx asks for $760 or $7,600? Did the online retailer state this during checkout?

If this is a legitimate debt, then why doesn't FedEx leave a note or send an email and ask to be paid before delivery? Like via online payment or phone? It would make sense, right? Why do you think that doesn't happen?

If this is a legitimate debt, why doesn't FedEx blacklist the addresses of people who don't pay this? Why doesn't Equifax or Transunion accept these FedEx claims as unpaid debt?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1097 posts
519 upvotes
Spinner wrote: OP purchased this item based on the terms and agreement with the online retailer. That agreement did not say "FedEx will charge you some unknown amount later."

Nope, it's actually a lesson to learn not to pay random invoices that show up in your mailbox.
Most online store have in their terms and condition saying they are not responsible for import duties and taxes if they are not handling the fees on behalf if buyers. So wouldn't that make the buyer's responsibility?

And it's not random "unknown charges", courier can't just come up with whatever amount they want. They have a set amount of admin fees. People might not be aware of it the first time they used their service but they should for the 2nd, 3rd time....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5418 upvotes
Vancouver
jjesskaka wrote: Most online store have in their terms and condition saying they are not responsible for import duties and taxes if they are not handling the fees on behalf if buyers. So wouldn't that make the buyer's responsibility?
No, because the buyer doesn't enter into agreement with FedEx.

The online store says "You may have to pay the courier in order for us to deliver the goods to you. The best we can do is send the package but we're not sure what happens afterwards." That part makes sense. But at no point does OP agree to "Yes, leave the package at my doorstep. I agree to pay $76." OP never agreed to that.
jjesskaka wrote: And it's not random "unknown charges", courier can't just come up with whatever amount they want. They have a set amount of admin fees. People might not be aware of it the first time they used their service but they should for the 2nd, 3rd time....
Who sets those admin fees? How is OP made aware of those?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1097 posts
519 upvotes
Spinner wrote: No, because the buyer doesn't enter into agreement with FedEx.

The online store says "You may have to pay the courier in order for us to deliver the goods to you. The best we can do is send the package but we're not sure what happens afterwards." That part makes sense. But at no point does OP agree to "Yes, leave the package at my doorstep. I agree to pay $76." OP never agreed to that.

Who sets those admin fees? How is OP made aware of those?
Where did you come up with those "terms"? OP didn't post what store it was. If the store stated they are not responsible for any port charges and taxes and buyer still bought from them, then doesn't it mean the buyer agree to store's terms?

You are right if it's OP's first time shopping online from oversea store, he has no idea about the fee. But the best way is probably to call FedEx and ask nicely to waive the admin fee and just pay duties and taxes (heard lots of success stories) instead of encouraging him to ignore the bill?