None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA

HELP!!! I have 2600 dream miles (AIR MILES) - cant find a single flight :(

however when i swap between dream miles and "CASH TICKET" and search for flights... i was able to? Is this the same thing? or is this through the CASH MILES?

I feel like this airmiles program is pretty bad. I mean this is a month in advance and no single flights from Toronto to the east coast? (only if i click on cash ticket there are flights)... if i cant use my dream miles for cash ticket then that's it for this "air miles" program.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
imflying12 wrote: however when i swap between dream miles and "CASH TICKET" and search for flights... i was able to? Is this the same thing? or is this through the CASH MILES?

I feel like this airmiles program is pretty bad. I mean this is a month in advance and no single flights from Toronto to the east coast? (only if i click on cash ticket there are flights)... if i cant use my dream miles for cash ticket then that's it for this "air miles" program.
Cash tickets are just that. You pay for them with a credit card just like you would if you went to the airline's website or other third party vendor.

Maybe you need to plan further than a month out for what are quite likely very popular flights, particularly in the summertime.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
Conquistador wrote: Cash tickets are just that. You pay for them with a credit card just like you would if you went to the airline's website or other third party vendor.

Maybe you need to plan further than a month out for what are quite likely very popular flights, particularly in the summertime.
Yeah, i've looked it up since May actually just gave up afterwards...now that im booking i decided to post it here since their cs hours are so limited as well.
Wow, air miles is a joke then! So cash tickets is essentially just paying with your card and not your air miles... ugh :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1333 posts
326 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
imflying12 wrote: however when i swap between dream miles and "CASH TICKET" and search for flights... i was able to? Is this the same thing? or is this through the CASH MILES?

Cash RULZ... I never bought into this AirMiles thing and never will - and your story just confirms my choice
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7164 posts
1823 upvotes
Toronto
Can not find a flight with 2600 dream miles? then there is a better option donate it. hehehe....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
cgtlky wrote: Can not find a flight with 2600 dream miles? then there is a better option donate it. hehehe....
real rfds don't donate, they look at it as an extra expense.

Must find.... a good way to get most VALUE out of these airmiles!! !GRRR, i'm a hot headed rfder atm!!!!! SO Upset with this airmiles program lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1938 posts
750 upvotes

I had exactly the same problem.. then managed to find a ticket for 2400 miles and $126 in taxes (would have been around $750 if I paid cash), so it all worked out in the end. I am now stuck with 240 Dream Miles that I do not know what to do with, and this number will not change since I completely switched to Cash Miles now. Guess I'll just donate them before they expire (they don't issue tax receipts when you donate Air Miles, do they?).
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2379 posts
793 upvotes
Whitehorse
Airmiles is not worth your time any more. If you want, take some miles if you shop there anyway, but don't do anything to earn extra, unless you have a very immediate plan how to exactly use them.

The availability of flights has become ridiculous. A friend of mine is a Gold member and had 6k miles. She couldn't even find a Halifax-Toronto flight several months out - unless she would have taken up the offer to book a flight using significantly MORE miles than the chart says.

She donated all her dream miles to FMM. At least she will get a donation tax credit.

I've also noticed that a lot of the miles earned never materialise on the account. There is a reason they don't give you a detailed list of when and where you earned miles.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1938 posts
750 upvotes
sokolov wrote: She donated all her dream miles to FMM. At least she will get a donation tax credit.
Do you know how much AM are valued at when they are donated? $1 or more per AM would be nice :)
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2379 posts
793 upvotes
Whitehorse
Like cash miles. 95 miles for $10. But ONLY to the red cross for FMM.

Other than that, you can not donate dream miles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
The Air Miles program is garbage. I decided to use it on some hotels in Toronto, even finding hotels is very limited and this three months in advance. This is the worst travel program ever. GOING BACK TO AVION/WESTJET WORLD ELITE MASTERCARD instead where im not limited to this garbage.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
sokolov wrote: The availability of flights has become ridiculous. A friend of mine is a Gold member and had 6k miles. She couldn't even find a Halifax-Toronto flight several months out - unless she would have taken up the offer to book a flight using significantly MORE miles than the chart says.

I've also noticed that a lot of the miles earned never materialise on the account. There is a reason they don't give you a detailed list of when and where you earned miles.
I just booked two round trip tickets the other day for mid July without any problem. Planning further in advance is definitely advisable. The program is less satisfactory for the 'immediate gratification last minute decision-making crowd'.

We also got a 25% discount on required miles as a BMO World Elite CC holder. Still have 25,000+ AirMiles remaining and while the program has been devalued, not unlike Aeroplan, over the last several years it's still a plan that costs nothing to join and to accumulate miles. IMO, not as useless as some here would suggest.

As to your last line, you mean no "detailed list of when and where you earned miles" other than the transaction history shown on your account? :eek:
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2003
1632 posts
154 upvotes
Hamilton
This AIRMILES program has gone downhill BIG time the last several years. You used to be able to get car wash certificates, movie passes, etc. Now just garbage products to try and get you to top up with CASH to get something. The part you pay in cash is like buying it on sale anywhere else, so the miles are useless. I've got 600+ right now and can't find anything to do with them worthwhile. Probably just take the donation receipt.
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
Airmiles has become a scam. Drugstores that use it should switch to Aeroplan
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2379 posts
793 upvotes
Whitehorse
Conquistador wrote: As to your last line, you mean no "detailed list of when and where you earned miles" other than the transaction history shown on your account? :eek:
I remember asking them a few years ago where I can find that. They told me it did not exist.

A few months ago, I found this "transaction history". It is unhelpful. It doesn't seem to list all earning that were credited. And it certainly doesn't list those that were not credited.

The fine print says that it can take 60 days. So the card will not be used for two months, to see if those miles materialize eventually.
Feb 9, 2014
61 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Imo, it is stupid that they make you choose between dream miles and cash miles and then no possibility of transfer between both. I only collect AM when I need to shop at one of the stores that offers some (Staples, IGA) and then receive the cash miles. Wouldn't go out of my way to earn them.
Apr 5, 2010
62 posts
32 upvotes
Winnipeg
wally_walrus wrote: Cash RULZ... I never bought into this AirMiles thing and never will - and your story just confirms my choice
I use it to pay for my groceries, because why not? The card is free, all you do is let the cashier swipe it. Before you know it your $100.20 bill becomes 20 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
sokolov wrote: I remember asking them a few years ago where I can find that. They told me it did not exist.

A few months ago, I found this "transaction history". It is unhelpful. It doesn't seem to list all earning that were credited. And it certainly doesn't list those that were not credited.

The fine print says that it can take 60 days. So the card will not be used for two months, to see if those miles materialize eventually.
My wife has been an AirMiles member since the beginning (24 years). Detailed transaction history has always been available and used to come on quarterly hard copy statements until transitioning to online some time ago.

You can either blindly rely on vendors to process your AirMiles or you can do some due diligence and reconcile your receipts to your AirMiles transactions on a periodic basis to make sure that you got credited; same approach as you should take with credit card bills for example.

To suggest that you wouldn't use your card for a couple of months to see whether points show up or not is...well...just ridiculous and just another example of somebody crapping on a program that they don't understand and that is both free to join and free to accumulate points in.
Dec 5, 2005
939 posts
577 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
In the last couple of years I have received the Bose QC25 when they were on for half price,a Sony BT speaker that was again half price and a new desktop computer. It has gone downhill but there can still be some value in free collecting.
Nov 24, 2011
156 posts
20 upvotes
INNISFIL
Conquistador wrote: I just booked two round trip tickets the other day for mid July without any problem. Planning further in advance is definitely advisable. The program is less satisfactory for the 'immediate gratification last minute decision-making crowd'.

We also got a 25% discount on required miles as a BMO World Elite CC holder. Still have 25,000+ AirMiles remaining and while the program has been devalued, not unlike Aeroplan, over the last several years it's still a plan that costs nothing to join and to accumulate miles. IMO, not as useless as some here would suggest.

As to your last line, you mean no "detailed list of when and where you earned miles" other than the transaction history shown on your account? :eek:
I agree its not as bad as this guy is saying, considering you just earn miles at various locations quite easily! I have almost 10k miles, and can use it towards an AI vacation through Transat and save a grand!