• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 1:50 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
300 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

Help Identify this pls - Picture Time - Bee/Wasp Hive vs Birds nest

Hi all - got up this morning to be informed by neighbour we have “this” up near our roof soffit.

Tried to get some close up pictures - doesn’t tell me much. told by neighbour they saw both a bird and a bee hover around it - though I couldn’t really tell while I was out.

Immediate concern is, if it is either does it present structural challenges to our house-and soffit?

If no structural impact, and if a bee hive, then I guess we need some professional pest control folks - but if birds nest, can I just leave them as is? Heard that we could use our power washer to break it up, but not sure if babies or eggs in there - which I’d prefer not destroying.

So Many Thanks!
A2292DD3-CC61-422B-A5BF-46EC5ADEACF2.jpeg
AF5A0942-AB1E-4422-B321-083BB20BC6A1.jpeg
2 replies
Sep 4, 2006
627 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a bird's nest. Some type of cliff swallow. Leave it, they eat lots of bugs. I had same one on the peak of my soffit above my main door. It will fall down when they're done with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1938 posts
1231 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I would say closer to Barn Swallow, you must be close to water. Not just a protected species, but a Threatened Species, in Ontario. Do not disturb the nest.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"