Cell Phones

Help an iPhone neanderthal upgrade? (Koodo)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 12:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1436 posts
900 upvotes
Ottawa

Help an iPhone neanderthal upgrade? (Koodo)

I've had my iPhone SE 1st gen for 4 years and it's on the fritz. Looking to upgrade it to an iPhone 11 or 11 Pro (not Max).
Clearly the ins and outs to get best value have changed in those 4 years. Can anyone more up to date comment on my logic below?

I'm with Koodo and want to stay with them. I'm now paying $55/mo for 5Gb (2+3), unlimited minutes, which is adequate for me. No tab.

Back in the neanderthal age (2016 and before), if you had the $, it made more sense to buy from Apple for cash up front and then get a lower-cost BYOB plan from Koodo, than to fuss with Tabs, which locked you into higher cost plans. Now, Koodo seems to be offering a Tab Mid or Tax Plus plan at the same monthly price point, $55/mo for 6Gb, and the upfront+monthly payments on the new phone amount to a savings of $400-430 versus pay everything upfront (Koodo helpfully labels this Tab Bonus and the numbers check out).

Am I missing something or is it genuinely better to go with the sponsored phone these days?

Is phone unlocking still a thing (if we ever start travelling again, I do have a travelling SIM; and there's a small chance I might want to change carriers before my new phone is obsolete)? I'd have no trouble paying off the Tab (assuming I keep the Tab Bonus) in a few months if that's what would be needed. I know this was a consideration 8-10 years ago; I sorta think it was sorted already in 2016 but can't remember.

Thanks! Sorry if these are silly questions -- I'm behind the times and the superficial logical answer seems completely opposed to what I was expecting, so hoping to pick others' brains if I'm way off base.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19047 posts
6419 upvotes
Toronto
All phones from all Canadian carriers are now unlocked.

With all Koodo plans, you are basically locked-in for 2 years, just like other carriers. If you leave or upgrade early, you need to pay off your remaining device tab and the remaining tab bonus.

There is no advantage to paying the tab early because it's basically an interest-free loan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1436 posts
900 upvotes
Ottawa
audit13 wrote: All phones from all Canadian carriers are now unlocked.

With all Koodo plans, you are basically locked-in for 2 years, just like other carriers. If you leave or upgrade early, you need to pay off your remaining device tab and the remaining tab bonus.

There is no advantage to paying the tab early because it's basically an interest-free loan.
Thanks. Regarding the bold point, does the tab bonus amortize away over time too?
Example: I get a "Tab Bonus" of $420.
I want to leave after 1 year. I've got $300 on my tab. I need to pay $720=420+300 or $510=210+300?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19047 posts
6419 upvotes
Toronto
houska wrote: Thanks. Regarding the bold point, does the tab bonus amortize away over time too?
Example: I get a "Tab Bonus" of $420.
I want to leave after 1 year. I've got $300 on my tab. I need to pay $720=420+300 or $510=210+300?
The tab bonus is amortized over 24 months.

Leaving after 12 months means you need to pay $210 for the unamortized tab bonus + tab balance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)