Computers & Electronics

Help me choose my next 43" Smart TV

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 11:41 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2012
94 posts
29 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…

Help me choose my next 43" Smart TV

Hi, I never shopped for such TV before.
I saw the list of current deals under here: https://www.redflagdeals.com/flyers/4k-tv-sales/
It doesn't have to be 4k, UHD would be plenty enough though...

But I am looking for a 43" smart tv that can do the following:

My gf has an old Panasonic Viera 43" TV (model TC-L37G1) that does not even have a network card or wifi on it. Using Google Chromecast HD now... but it has it's limitations.
1- Price should be under 400$ shipped as much as possible.

2- I am willing to replace it with a more recent smart tv that would allows us to look a films from any internal web OS browser (I am not talking about not Netflix or Youtube apps embedded, (I knows that those apps are normally part of recent smart tv's),

3- It would have an ease of use for any newbies (my gf is not really computer-litterate, so good UI interface is important here).
I heard/read that LG has a nice interface... but a bit in the expensive side for the features you get.

Other than that, I a bit mixed about all the other features or specs I should look at, such as the ports, contrast, refresh rate, etc., but we need something good in average... for average user... not necessary the top nocth features ...

I do not want to use it as a computer monitor (but can be used to look at pics from our LAN or USB sticks)

Can you help me filter that out to a couple of models that would have the best quality/ value for the money?

Thanks in avdance for your help...
10 replies
Temp. Banned
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1319 upvotes
Why 43" ? 43" is not cost efficient and limited in selection ...4K HDR10 is the minimum standard now for any TV from 43" and larger either you want it of not !
Try 50" or 55" as a start and you will have a lot more options at better pricing. A typical 43" 4k Smart TV costs around $340 today and a 50" only around $369.
If you want to install Google apps and use a web browser, then only an Android TV will be able to do that, other formats such Roku TV, WebOS and Tizen won't be able to do that.

$329.00 for a 43"
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tc ... a/13185857

...versus $379.99 for a 50" ...it's a no brainer to go with the 50" or 55" !
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tc ... a/13185851

or 55" for $379.99
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hi ... 9/13711333
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2012
94 posts
29 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
EdT586 wrote: Why 43" ? 43" is not cost efficient and limited in selection ...4K HDR10 is the minimum standard now for any TV from 43" and larger either you want it of not !
Simply because this TV is inserted inside an old pine furniture, in an old house cauzy area... no room for large TV here ;)

and thanks for the minimum standards!

Let me clarify... I do not want to really install Google app... I just want to make sure the included Web browser would be able to run/view video from some "alternate" sites, such as hdss.to (eg. an "alt" french contents... kind of... bc my gf likes that site.. )

RIght now, on the Old TV,I have to plug my laptop with an HDMI cable, start google chrome or Edge, got to that site and start the film. THen on my laptop, the TV is presented as a 2nd Screen, so, I move the browser to that screen and put it ful-screen...
Used to try the CC HD, but recently, it wouldNt cast it, so that's wny I am back to "wired" solution.
I thought that with a more recent Smart TV with a good web browser, I'd be able to launch those "alt-site" films directly from the TV integrated Browser, and forgoet about plugging my laptop etc etc...
So, if anyone can confirm that the integrated browser can stream videos from hdss.to, it would make me happy

(it's becoming a torture for me to plug that setup every times she wants to listen to a movies on that site... can you understand? ... lol)

P.s. I'd add that a "Wired" Ethernet LAN connection would be an asset here.... after looking a bit, seems they do not always have it on the cheaper models.... So let's say I'd prefer a good quality 1080p smart TV than a cheap 4K... which I do not have real need now. I still have an Old analog TV in another living room, hooked tho a digital converter + antenna lol...
Temp. Banned
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1319 upvotes
cotesyl wrote: Simply because this TV is inserted inside an old pine furniture, in an old house cauzy area... no room for large TV here ;)

and thanks for the minimum standards!

Let me clarify... I do not want to really install Google app... I just want to make sure the included Web browser would be able to run/view video from some "alternate" sites, such as hdss.to (eg. an "alt" french contents... kind of... bc my gf likes that site.. )

RIght now, on the Old TV,I have to plug my laptop with an HDMI cable, start google chrome or Edge, got to that site and start the film. THen on my laptop, the TV is presented as a 2nd Screen, so, I move the browser to that screen and put it ful-screen...
Used to try the CC HD, but recently, it wouldNt cast it, so that's wny I am back to "wired" solution.
I thought that with a more recent Smart TV with a good web browser, I'd be able to launch those "alt-site" films directly from the TV integrated Browser, and forgoet about plugging my laptop etc etc...
So, if anyone can confirm that the integrated browser can stream videos from hdss.to, it would make me happy

(it's becoming a torture for me to plug that setup every times she wants to listen to a movies on that site... can you understand? ... lol)

P.s. I'd add that a "Wired" Ethernet LAN connection would be an asset here.... after looking a bit, seems they do not always have it on the cheaper models.... So let's say I'd prefer a good quality 1080p smart TV than a cheap 4K... which I do not have real need now. I still have an Old analog TV in another living room, hooked tho a digital converter + antenna lol...
If you want to use a web browser or emails in any of the current TV OSes it will be difficult. I suggest you invest in a Mediaplayer for Android box like the Minix NEO U1 or U9, this way you can use it on any TV with a HDMI port and not be limited to the already rare Smart TVs that can install a web browser, apps like Kodi and play content through a HDD or USB drive. Don't underestimate today's entry level 4K TVs they are simply awesome and as good or better in picture quality of mid to top levels sets from 2-3 years ago. All the TCL 4 Series 4K TVs from their 43" to 75" have Ethernet ports and are excellent performers with OTA broadcast as well !

[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2012
94 posts
29 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
EdT586 wrote: If you want to use a web browser or emails in any of the current TV OSes it will be difficult. I suggest you invest in a Mediaplayer for Android box like the Minix NEO U1 or U9, this way you can use it on any TV with a HDMI port and not be limited to the already rare Smart TVs that can install a web browser, apps like Kodi and play content through a HDD or USB drive. Don't underestimate today's entry level 4K TVs they are simply awesome and as good or better in picture quality of mid to top levels sets from 2-3 years ago. All the TCL 4 Series 4K TVs from their 43" to 75" have Ethernet ports and are excellent performers with OTA broadcast as well !

No I do not want to use email, or do any other fancy things that just lookig at fr films contents via the hdss.to web site.... So does that site is ablr to stream those videos, as if from my laptop, from the the native browser ? THat's one of my main question here.
Temp. Banned
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1319 upvotes
cotesyl wrote: No I do not want to use email, or do any other fancy things that just lookig at fr films contents via the hdss.to web site.... So does that site is ablr to stream those videos, as if from my laptop, from the the native browser ? THat's one of my main question here.
Yup you definitely need one of these Android mediaplayer boxes if you want to ditch the laptop, you will wonder how you ever lived without it ...LoL I have set them up for a lot of seniors and they have no problems using it to watch content on web browsers. A cheap one starts at less than $30usd these days, but the better ones like the Minix will run you close to $100cdn. You can also get local models like the MyGica 495 Pro boxes at Best Buy, Bureau En Gros and Canada Computers.
https://www.staples.ca/products/2859821 ... -495prohdr

[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2012
94 posts
29 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
Ok,
Thanks for your answer...
so I understand that there are no such features embedded in a TV ?
Even the android Based ones ?
Temp. Banned
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1319 upvotes
cotesyl wrote: Ok,
Thanks for your answer...
so I understand that there are no such features embedded in a TV ?
Even the android Based ones ?
You can "sideload" select web browsers onto a Smart TV using the Android TV OS, but using them is a PIA since you can only use the IR remote that came with the TV to navigate the web browser, so basically toggling between buttons on the screen with the arrow keys.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-brow ... ndroid-tv/

The Android TV(tm) platform is a light version of the full Android OS so basically only 1/3 of the apps or only apps with the 10 Feet View radius can be installed from the Google Play Store for your device. Whereas the mediaplayer boxes I suggested above have full versions of the Android OS and can install 99% of the apps directly from the Google PlayStore or sideload apps that are not available in the PlayStore, but the biggest advantage is that you can use a RF air mouse or a regular wireless mouse and keyboard to navigate the screen !

[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2012
94 posts
29 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
Thank you Edt586, this is verrryy informative ! Awesome!
so maybe just that media player box will resolve my current issue... I'll look into tat for sure!
So my criteria for a smart TV has decreased a bit... (because I'd also prefer to launch the other integrated apps such as Netflix, Youtube, music player... (any apple music in those btw?) ... etc etc... and have it hooked to our LAN anyways will improve our experience hopefully. I read that the LG WebOS is one of the best user-friendly interface... any other challengers in that regard? How does the TLC compares ?

Thanks again...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25574 posts
5824 upvotes
To avoid repeating myself, I'm just going to post links to two other threads here, where I made comments on what seems to be the better 43-50" sets in terms of general quality and bang for the buck:

costco-tcl-50-65-back-stock-online-2335974/
budget-tv-deals-500-2331807/2/#p31827378

In short, it's not a long list of TVs you can get and in Canada the list is even shorter since we don't get the TCL 5-series and the 50" Hisense H8 isn't sold here. I'd stay away from the cheaper LGs as well as they're typically using RGBW panels and IPS on top of the bargain. (IPS is really not good for TVs because the contrast sucks, they're only good if you're viewing off-angle as their viewing angle is far superior to VA, but it's all at the cost of contrast.)

TCL you can get a 4-series here, which is pretty decent and can be had for cheap :) but sadly the improved 5-series is only sold in the US.

Finally, I wouldn't try to use a TV's internal web browser to watch videos. It's likely not going to turn out well, hence why TVs have "apps" to support streaming sites properly. If you want to view websites/videos, I'd suggest setting up an HTPC or using an Android box as mentioned.
Temp. Banned
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1319 upvotes
cotesyl wrote: Thank you Edt586, this is verrryy informative ! Awesome!
so maybe just that media player box will resolve my current issue... I'll look into tat for sure!
So my criteria for a smart TV has decreased a bit... (because I'd also prefer to launch the other integrated apps such as Netflix, Youtube, music player... (any apple music in those btw?) ... etc etc... and have it hooked to our LAN anyways will improve our experience hopefully. I read that the LG WebOS is one of the best user-friendly interface... any other challengers in that regard? How does the TLC compares ?

Thanks again...
TCL uses the tried and tested buttery smooth Roku TV OS which is miles ahead of LG's WebOS or Samsung's Tizen with Android TV following behind the Roku !
The built in Roku box in those Smart TVs is a $60-$100 value in itself. The Netflix and Youtube app in the Roku TV is a true 4K app, you're going to be blown away even with an entry level 4k set like the TCL 4 Series !
If you get a mediaplayer box you can simply create icons to the website you use and it will automatically open up once you double click on it, it can't get simpler than that for people who are not technical ...you should also read up on Kodi and why it is "infamous" the number one reason why people buy these mediaplayer boxes and will make hdss.to like it was made for the caveman ! ...LoL

Top