Wheels and Tires

Help me choose a winter tire

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2021 9:13 am
May 2, 2014
527 posts
226 upvotes

Help me choose a winter tire

Hi, i have a 2016 Rav4. The door panel sticker states that my tire size is "225/65R17".
My area gets alot of snow (snowbelt region)

I selected a few winter tires based on Canadian Tire's suggestion for my car. Please see the little table that I made. I only included the X-Ice and Blizzaks on this table as I read they are the most highly rated.
table delete.JPG
11 replies
Apr 18, 2011
476 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
I do not see the X-Ice Xi3 in the list. Where did you get it?
Nov 9, 2020
214 posts
150 upvotes
Did you do the math to see which tyre specs are within 5% of your OEM tyre specs?
May 2, 2014
527 posts
226 upvotes
Tiger131 wrote: Did you do the math to see which tyre specs are within 5% of your OEM tyre specs?
what number from the "225/65R17" do i apply the 5% to?
Nov 9, 2020
214 posts
150 upvotes
This is from memory but:

1. Convert 17 inches to millimetre.
2. Take 65% of 225 mm, this gives you sidewall height.
3. Add #1 and #2. This should give you the diameter of your OEM tire on OEM rim.

Do this same math to your 16 inch rim and tire. Essentially you are trying to achieve same overall diameter despite going down to 16 inch rims. Smaller rim, higher sidewall.

I would also compare rim specs too, making sure you have sufficient brake caliber clearance.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
According to SimplyTire - http://www.simplytire.com/winter/TOYOTA.pdf you can use 215-70-16 This will save you some money on tires.

My suggestions,
Continental VikingContact 7
Bridgestone Blizzak
Hankook RW11 iPike

if you look at the link I posted above, just find Rav4 in the list and you can see your options.
Feb 25, 2017
268 posts
397 upvotes
BC
Can someone explain to me why different Canadian Tire stores may have different pricing for the same model of winter tire? For example, the Campbell River Canadian Tire lists the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s on clearance for $125.93/ea; however, the CTs in Vancouver list them at full price for $210!

What gives? Can I go to a Vancouver CT store and have them price-match against the store in CR?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
luckydragon8 wrote: Can someone explain to me why different Canadian Tire stores may have different pricing for the same model of winter tire? For example, the Campbell River Canadian Tire lists the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s on clearance for $125.93/ea; however, the CTs in Vancouver list them at full price for $210!

What gives? Can I go to a Vancouver CT store and have them price-match against the store in CR?
Clearance prices on in-stock tires that a particular store wants to get rid of

Many CT stores are franchised and independently owned. The owner can set prices independently of other CT stores.
Nov 9, 2020
214 posts
150 upvotes
In addition to specific stores wanting to clear out a model, Clearance priced tires also tend to be last year(s)’ design or tires that have been sitting g there for several years
Feb 6, 2018
122 posts
36 upvotes
Blizzaks are a good choice and not too expensive.
Oct 25, 2020
564 posts
502 upvotes
I'm personally a fan of continental Vikkingcontact7, and Pirelli ice zero FR for for Nordic winters. Nokian hakkapeliitta are solid option, but you won't find them at CT.
Blizzaks have softer sidewalls and feel sloppy to drive on wet/dry pavement in my experience. Otherwise they perform well.

I tend to focus on dry/wet manners since all of these tires perform top in their category, year to year as they change compounds. I think the Pirelli dropped a few places in 2020.

Pirelli's were the best of the three subjectivity in the dry in my tire size(205/55r16). Conti's were close second. When temps dipped below -5 the Conti's felt more precise.

With an AWD RAV4 you could get away with something like the Pirelli sottozero which will have even better dry/wet road manners, giving up a small bit of snow bite compared to the ice zero.