• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 10:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes

Help me chose Summer( All season ) tires please

So I have this 2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl...Very good car with 159k kms on the clock.
I was living in Toronto and had 2 sets of tires
Uniroyal Tiger Paw 205 65 R15 for 3 seasons
Bridgestone Blizzak ws80 195 65 R15 as dedicated winter tires
I moved from Toronto to Winnipeg at the end of Jan so I has blizaaks on the car.
As it was long drive 2200 kms, folks at rfd suggested to keep one full size 205 65 R15 Uniroyal as spare tire rather than just relying on the donut tire so I have one of those Uniroyal with me.
Now I am in the market for all season tires.
Manitoba roads are rough compared to GTA ( or Ontario) in general and I guess they will be less forgiving for the tires hence I am looking for some tough tires.
What do you suggest?
I researched on tirerack.
General Altimax RT43 H rated seems to be their favorite. What about Michelin premier A/S?
Also should I buy all 4 new rims or I can use one rim of the original tire that I have?
Or I buy 5 tires in Total( 4 new rims and one old. That way I could have a full size spare tire if we go long trips in summer. This side of Canada we better be bit self sufficient rather than relying on CAA etc....
What you guys say?
Planning to keep car for min 5 years. It drives like new....
15 replies
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'd look on Kijiji for used sets of wheels and also check the recyclers - you may even find a set with tires, just check date codes on the tires.
I wouldn't buy 5 tires - for a spare you could use one of your winter tires.

As far as buying a set of new - I think both of your choices would be good ones. See what deals you can get and go with the better one.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
I am being told that 15x 6.5 wheels are difficult to find. Most wheels in 15 inch are 6 inch wide. Is this true?
My original.wheel must be 15x6.5 so want to keep the others same..
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1330 upvotes
I am getting a set of the General Altimax RT43 88T as well to replace my worn out Continentals. The V rated version will have better traction at the expensive of thread wear.
Canadian Tire sells both the General Altimax RT43 and Evertrek RTX series which is on special this week, but this time I think I will buy online to save a couple of bucks and have a better choice/availability selection.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: I am getting a set of the General Altimax RT43 88T as well to replace my worn out Continentals. The V rated version will have better traction at the expensive of thread wear.
Canadian Tire sells both the General Altimax RT43 and Evertrek RTX series which is on special this week, but this time I think I will buy online to save a couple of bucks and have a better choice/availability selection.
Online from where?
Btw on crappytire website only evertrek is showing 25% discounted not the RT43
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
Asker123 wrote: I am being told that 15x 6.5 wheels are difficult to find. Most wheels in 15 inch are 6 inch wide. Is this true?
My original.wheel must be 15x6.5 so want to keep the others same..
There are TONS of those wheels available locally. Check car-part.com and do a search by distance. Looks like both aluminum and steel are around. Also-1/2" in width will not be a problem.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1330 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: Online from where?
Btw on crappytire website only evertrek is showing 25% discounted not the RT43
There many Canadian online tire resellers, most have around the same cost for the Altimax RT43 and shipping and eco tax is usually included withthe price. Try Tires&Co, Quattro Tires, PMC Tires, 1010 Tires etc.. depending on which province your close to.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
hi folks,
I am looking to buy from either Quattro or PMC tire
two questions though
1) OEM wheels are 15x 6.5 inch. Other than from dealer I could not find them anywhere so seems like I would need to stick to 15x 6 inches.. I have one OEM wheel. I would buy 4 15x 6 inch. In case of flat tire, is it ok to have 15x 6 inch on left and 15x 6.5 on right side and keep driving after swap
2) in 15x 6 inche wheel , for same bore and bolt pattern , I am getting 2 offsets. one is 42 offset ( from dtd2009) another is 45 offset( from RSSW). which one is better. both are claiming hubsentric .
thx
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
Are you going to order wheels and tires as a package from quattro/pmc? Looks like quattro may have the better price on the rims at least. You'll save having to pay to have them mounted and balanced once here as I believe they'll do it for free as a package purchase.

3mm difference in offset won't be a problem - either will be fine.

The rim width difference on a spare in the short term shouldn't be a problem. I would NOT recommend using different width rims on opposite sides for extended periods.

Also - are you sure you have the original 6.5 inch wheels on your car? Have you had them measured? If you haven't owned the car/wheels since new I wouldn't just trust that's what you have.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote: Are you going to order wheels and tires as a package from quattro/pmc? Looks like quattro may have the better price on the rims at least. You'll save having to pay to have them mounted and balanced once here as I believe they'll do it for free as a package purchase.

3mm difference in offset won't be a problem - either will be fine.

The rim width difference on a spare in the short term shouldn't be a problem. I would NOT recommend using different width rims on opposite sides for extended periods.

Also - are you sure you have the original 6.5 inch wheels on your car? Have you had them measured? If you haven't owned the car/wheels since new I wouldn't just trust that's what you have.
Thx
Yes definitely have 6.5 mm width rim. Its OEM. I read the markings.
Also your mention of Quattro being cheap is correct. tires and rims mounted and balanced for $ 620 delivered to door. can’t beat it.
Just that I live in an apartment and they say that they only give date of delivery and not time. Let me see how I will manage it.
Canada post is notorious of not even attempting delivery to apartments and just leaving a slip. Does someone know which shipping company Quattro ship with? Do these guys call you when at the building? I will definitely give buzz code but just in case something amiss. will these guys call or just leave?
Thinking to get these things verified by calling their customer service monday morning. I hope the online price doesn’t change by then. Does Quattro chane their price very frequently?
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
I think their prices are quite stable so I wouldn't worry about that.
I very much doubt they'll use Canada Post - those aren't exactly a small package! LOL
Call them Monday and ask if they can hold them at whatever depot they'll arrive at in Winnipeg (or have them delivered to your work?).
On their FAQ - "Online orders are delivered across Canada, we can ship your tires order at the shipping address of your choice."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
called Quattro tire this morning. they ship by fedex so there should not be any issue in delivery
but he confused me bit on tires
I had already made my mind for General Altimax RT43 T rated tire but he told me that those tires are only M+S . He told for 7 dollars per tire extra why not buy top of the line Vredeistine Quattrec 5 which also have 3 peak snowflake symbol.
not sure if they are worth it in Winnipeg here? That would be extra 68 dollars on the package ( no mail in 40 dollar rebate as General is giving )
I already have bridgestone blizzak WS80 for winters. I bough them in new v 2014 ( I will check which year they are manufactured)
When I am buying these new set of all season tires, one of my criteria is that this should be my last investment on the car for tires. Car is 2003 Accord and I still plan to keep it for 10 years as condition is great and it only has 160k kms
when the current winter tires go bad , I would not like to buy another winter tires for this car as car will be towards end of its life.
In that case buying Vreistine Quattrec5 sould good decision as they have snowflake symbol too
Any idea how these tires are. they have snowflake symbol but they are all season tires. do they provide soft ride as winter tires?
do they wear faster?
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
IIRC the snowflake symbol makes them an all weather tire, not all season.
I doubt they'll wear faster but guaranteed they will not have as good traction as a winter tire. There's always tradeoffs in making a tire work in all seasons.

They're well reviewed by tirerack so they'll be a good tire. IMO I wouldn't use them as a replacement for dedicated winter tires.
Tires harden with age - your WS80's will be no where near as soft as they were when new. The same will happen with the Vredestine. It happens to all tires, not just winters.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
^ Yes I agree that all weather wont perform in winter as good as dedicated winter tires will.
seems like very strange pattern. half side is made for 3 season, half side for winter
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/40 ... -quatrac-5

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/whats- ... ason-tires

now I dont know that just the tread pattern is different in each half of the tire or the composition itself is different in each half of the tire...

I know I am talking much ahead of time.
my WS80 are made 0814 so if I buy summer/all season tires now, I will be forced to buy another set of winter tire in 0824
if I buy all weather now, I will just throw away the WS80 when they go bad around 0824 and the all weather tires which I buy now should serve me another 4 years ( I drive between 12 to 15000kms in a year so tires will last easily 10years). that will be end of life for my car too.

or may be I am think8ng too ahead..you never know what will happen in 6 years from now..may be I will just buy General RT43 and call it a day...
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
Asker123 wrote: or may be I am think8ng too ahead..you never know what will happen in 6 years from now..may be I will just buy General RT43 and call it a day...
Best thought yet!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote: Best thought yet!
lol yes,
Indeed I was pretty much decided . Just called quattro tire to check shipping details but he confused me by mentioning the All weather tires.
but seems like in future all season tires will slowly be replaced by these all weather tires and they should.
the more the choices , the more consumers get confused.