Automotive

Help me decide: Free car, take or leave?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2016 5:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA

Help me decide: Free car, take or leave?

Have 24hrs to decide. A friend of mine is leaving the country thus giving away his car,

I know nothing rather than this car is 2003 Honda Odyssey. Upfront fees would be $200-$300, have a good garage for inspection; insurance is $750/yr and parking is $90/mo.

I'm planning to trade in my family sedan in 2yr, so two-for-one, save some taxes. Could use a mini-van for hauling stuff and grocery shopping, or any places that cars get dinged a lot. Alternatively, it's more of a utility vehicle than daily driver.

What would be your criteria for taking on this car?
28 replies
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
315 upvotes
Brampton, ON
get a UVIP (used vehicle information package) for $20. make sure that there are no liens that you will be held responsible for.
ask him if you sell it, can you keep the cash?

It's worth $2K at the very least. Even if you dump $1K into it for brakes / safety / emissions etc, that's still a great car to keep for a year or three.
I'd take something like that if I had room to park it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
mudgts wrote: I'd take something like that if I had room to park it.
Thanks. I will have my shop jack it up and check the major wearable: treads, rotor and pad life..etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3791 posts
2712 upvotes
Toronto
It's a free van... 100% I would
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
CoolDudeClan wrote: It's a free van... 100% I would
Though it's 13yr old van...what if my shop said it's clean but it isn't? I scrapped a 13yr old Dodge minivan before, though this is a Honda.

If this car could survive a couple of US trips I'd be deep in the money.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1189 posts
575 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
It's free... That's the favourite word on RFDs
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote: Though it's 13yr old van...what if my shop said it's clean but it isn't? I scrapped a 13yr old Dodge minivan before, though this is a Honda.

If this car could survive a couple of US trips I'd be deep in the money.
Drive it to upstate new york. Apparently the hasidic jewish people all have 2 of them. You can easily flip it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
Just to make sure, it's a Honda Minivan thus a good deal. Then you would have said yes if it's a Toyota Minivan and no if it's from the big 3?

My last was a 1997 Dodge Caravan, my shop told me to get rid of it past yr 5 and I hanged on to it's last breath.
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote: Just to make sure, it's a Honda Minivan thus a good deal. Then you would have said yes if it's a Toyota Minivan and no if it's from the big 3?

My last was a 1997 Dodge Caravan, my shop told me to get rid of it past yr 5 and I hanged on to it's last breath.
Its very simple. If it passes safety easily, drive it into the ground and next. I once turned down a free car but its because im 6'4 and had to tilt the drivers seat 45* to sit in it. Otherwise i would have safetied her and drove her till she started no more
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
Actually, the redbook value is likely high too after checking the blackbook value, maybe $3000 range, that would lead to $390 cash tax..

Is this something where an appraiser could add value? There's various visible scratches and dents, the book value would kill the deal.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14079 posts
9296 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Do it Do it! Take it Take it!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
Does the owner needs to be at the MTO? or I just need the ownership and permit to do the transfer myself? He's leaving in less than 48hrs.
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
315 upvotes
Brampton, ON
you just need the ownership signed.
after that, it's all your responsibility for taxes and transfer fee etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
You don't look at a gifted horses mouth... Worst case you take it to the scrapyard and make 200$. Or sell it on kijiji for parts and make more.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8554 posts
2328 upvotes
Mississauga
LongLiveRFD wrote: Actually, the redbook value is likely high too after checking the blackbook value, maybe $3000 range, that would lead to $390 cash tax..

Is this something where an appraiser could add value? There's various visible scratches and dents, the book value would kill the deal.
If I`m reading your post correctly $390.00 for a vehicle that's worth $3000.00 is a good deal take it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
Just to give you an idea this free car is going to cost upfront $600 which goes to the province.
$218 Registering the car
$325 Minimum as tax, unless an appraiser to write it down substantially.

Then the carry is $60/mo to insure, $100/mo to park it. So that together is $2000/yr.
If I sell @EOY for $2500, I get all of my money back. That's it, without any money into the car itself or driving it (fuel, tires)

And the car is 160,000KM on the ODO, OK for a 13yr old car.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1151 posts
615 upvotes
160k for a 2003 is super low mileage. If it's in mechanically good condition, take it and go.
Quitter
Nov 22, 2012
209 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: Actually, the redbook value is likely high too after checking the blackbook value, maybe $3000 range, that would lead to $390 cash tax..

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I've bought/ sold a few used cars before. When you transfer the vehicle, they'll have a range of what they can put down as the purchase price based on the age/ make/ model. In my experience, they'll give you the lowest price they can.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6666 posts
2308 upvotes
Caledon
LongLiveRFD wrote: Does the owner needs to be at the MTO? or I just need the ownership and permit to do the transfer myself? He's leaving in less than 48hrs.
You need two things

- Ownership back page signed
- Bill of sale which is on UVIP second page. Fill that