Health & Wellness

Help me finding a mattress

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2020 5:11 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
255 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

Help me finding a mattress

I grew up in a village where i have spent my entire life sleeping on the floor (With some padding, like putting some comforter type thing). Ever since i came to Canada, I am unable to find a mattress which doesn't hurt me.

**The Issue**: So every mattress that i have used so far, after sometime start to give me back pain. The back pain is either around my shoulder blades or under it and sometimes its on my spine. Most of the time, i had to get up at night to stretch myself and somtimes it hurt me so much that i have to sleep on the floor (with 2-3 layers of comforter + blanket).

Previously, I have tried Endy's mattress and i had to return it with in 90 days since it started to hurt my back. Then i went to sleep country and they gave me the their "second" stiffest mattress. The mattress was great for first year. Now it has deformed at multiple places. Unfortunately, I can't claim for warranty since it has some stains on it (coffee spills).

So i am here, seeking help that if someone has been through same sort of pain or experience, what kind of mattress helped you guys. Or if you are an expert in this field, please help me out.

Thanks
17 replies
Newbie
Sep 15, 2017
17 posts
4 upvotes
Try to sleep with out a pillow. And get a simple harder type mattress from Ikea. I did and I know what you mean as sleeping on the floor is most natural and how we evolved. but the soft pillow and 'mattress industry' gotta make sales so they come up with bullshit.

it is simple - get a harder type mattress from ikea that you can roll up and put in your car and sleep without a pillow (you will get used to it and it will aid you long term - more correct).
Member
Jan 21, 2010
366 posts
315 upvotes
Brantford
When I was looking for a new mattress a few years ago I found themattressunderground.com forum to be helpful.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1204 posts
1563 upvotes
West
Why not just replicate the mattress arrangement you had before you came to Canada?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
What'd I would also suggest doing is getting rid of the box spring (if you have one) and have solid base under the mattress (popular/de riguer in Asia and Europe, and increasingly here). If not, put a piece of plywood between mattress and box spring. It'll do a lot to firm up the mattress.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
255 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
jfd3220 wrote: When I was looking for a new mattress a few years ago I found themattressunderground.com forum to be helpful.
Thanks, Will def ask it there.
thriftshopper wrote: What'd I would also suggest doing is getting rid of the box spring (if you have one) and have solid base under the mattress (popular/de riguer in Asia and Europe, and increasingly here). If not, put a piece of plywood between mattress and box spring. It'll do a lot to firm up the mattress.
I don't have any box-spring. Byt plywood is a good idea, where can i get it from?
Phonophoresis wrote: Why not just replicate the mattress arrangement you had before you came to Canada?
AndyRedFlagDeals01 wrote: Try to sleep with out a pillow. And get a simple harder type mattress from Ikea. I did and I know what you mean as sleeping on the floor is most natural and how we evolved. but the soft pillow and 'mattress industry' gotta make sales so they come up with bullshit.

it is simple - get a harder type mattress from ikea that you can roll up and put in your car and sleep without a pillow (you will get used to it and it will aid you long term - more correct).
I used to sleep on the floor before but then got married and now trying to find something that suits both of us. I should have asked this in original post that probably a place which can give me a mattress even for 10 days as a trial so that we can try? I just checked Jysk and they have 30 days trial but its not 30 days return its 30 days exchange or store credit.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1204 posts
1563 upvotes
West
hyph3n wrote: I used to sleep on the floor before but then got married and now trying to find something that suits both of us. I should have asked this in original post that probably a place which can give me a mattress even for 10 days as a trial so that we can try? I just checked Jysk and they have 30 days trial but its not 30 days return its 30 days exchange or store credit.
Do what one of my old buddies did... he slept on the mattress straight up, and he literally stuck a slab of polyethylene arena board wrapped in thin padding under the sheets for his partner. I suppose you could do that, or the reverse - getting an extra firm mattress, then putting a soft topper on half the bed.

Logically, that would probably be a good place to start. The floor and mattress are opposite ends of the spectrum. Either way, it won't go well for one and/or both of you in the short-term.
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
255 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Phonophoresis wrote: Do what one of my old buddies did... he slept on the mattress straight up, and he literally stuck a slab of polyethylene arena board wrapped in thin padding under the sheets for his partner. I suppose you could do that, or the reverse - getting an extra firm mattress, then putting a soft topper on half the bed.

Logically, that would probably be a good place to start. The floor and mattress are opposite ends of the spectrum. Either way, it won't go well for one and/or both of you in the short-term.
Yeah, so this was one of the option we were looking at. that we can get mattress topper for her and i can use stiffest mattress.

The mattress that we got from sleepcountry had 10 year warranty and it has already lost its stiffness with in a year. Is there any better place from where we can get mattresses?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3680 upvotes
Montréal
You have a unique situation since you are basically used to sleeping on the floor vs your spouse who's more 'conventional', so I don't think you could get a mattress that fits both of you, probably a bed that has a feature to fit 2 different mattress types is ideal.

You probably need to get the hardest mattress out there. I have a slightly similar issue as you since I don't like those typical, big/fluffy pillows, they put my neck into a bend too much and I prefer a thin one, so look into that also.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
14392 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto
This is as hard as I have found in a mattress: https://www.mattressville.ca/product/be ... -mattress/

Next time, I would suggest a waterproof mattress protector so that it keeps the mattress clean and won't void the warranty.

Here is a good video to watch:

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
hyph3n wrote: I don't have any box-spring. Byt plywood is a good idea, where can i get it from?
Question for you. What is your mattress resting on right now? If it is on a bed with a fairly-solid platform plywood wouldn't help.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
255 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Question for you. What is your mattress resting on right now? If it is on a bed with a fairly-solid platform plywood wouldn't help.
(English my second language so will try my best to explain)

So we have frame foe the bed which has wooden sticks (they aren't glued or screwed to the frame) in the frame. These sticks are lose and they move as well, there were times when I had to adjust the stick to put in its place while we had the mattress on.

One thing I was thinking is to screw those sticks but I am not sure.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
hyph3n wrote: So we have frame foe the bed which has wooden sticks (they aren't glued or screwed to the frame) in the frame. These sticks are lose and they move as well, there were times when I had to adjust the stick to put in its place while we had the mattress on.

One thing I was thinking is to screw those sticks but I am not sure.
I think your bed is supposed to have a box spring and the current number of slats (what the sticks are called, I think) are insufficient to support a mattress only (box spring is semi-rigid so fewer slats required to support). Right now, your mattress is not being supported adequately.

What I would do it go measure the existing sticks (thickness on the cross section, usually 1" nominal) and length (probably 5'/60" if it's a queen mattress), and the number of slats and their width (the mattress is about 80") and figure how much you need to cover at least ~80% of 80", then go to the lumber/hardware store and get the number of slats you need. Get 10' piece and ask the shop to cut them down to 5' if that's the length of the existing slats. If not you may need to get 12' pieces cut to fit.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
10515 posts
1713 upvotes
You could get the split Queen or split King size mattress with extra firm for you and whatever firmness that suits your spouse.

https://restrightmattress.com/split-queen-mattress/

hyph3n wrote: I used to sleep on the floor before but then got married and now trying to find something that suits both of us. I should have asked this in original post that probably a place which can give me a mattress even for 10 days as a trial so that we can try? I just checked Jysk and they have 30 days trial but its not 30 days return its 30 days exchange or store credit.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed

Top