• Dec 5th, 2019 11:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster

Help me identify my basement bathroom rough-ins

Hey Everyone, as the title says......I need help in identifying my basement bathroom rough-ins.

I'm pretty sure that "C" with the larger pipe is the toilet for obvious reasons.

The other two I'm not sure which is sink/vanity and tub/shower.

Any help would be appreciated.

"B" is pretty close to an exterior wall.

Thanks

19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Do you have a wider angle pic showing all pipes ? Based on the pics provided it’s most likely c your toilet , b is your tub/shower and A (2” drain on the right is your wet vent for toilet /sink drain while the 11/2” pipe in the same pic in the left is not a drain, it is a back vent (dry) for pipe B your tub/shower
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Feb 26, 2017
205 posts
88 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Do you have a wider angle pic showing all pipes ? Based on the pics provided it’s most likely c your toilet , b is your tub/shower and A (2” drain on the right is your wet vent for toilet /sink drain while the 11/2” pipe in the same pic in the left is not a drain, it is a back vent (dry) for pipe B your tub/shower
How come the rough in did not connect the vent to the main house vent? Mine rough in already has this pipe connected and run up into the house ceiling.
It now may be tough for him to try to connect this vent pipe to the main house vent. Do the codes allow him to use a vent valve like the one below if he doesn't easily find the main house vent:

https://www.amazon.ca/Oatey-39017-Sure- ... 4043&psc=1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Figman2 wrote: How come the rough in did not connect the vent to the main house vent? Mine rough in already has this pipe connected and run up into the house ceiling.
It now may be tough for him to try to connect this vent pipe to the main house vent. Do the codes allow him to use a vent valve like the one below if he doesn't easily find the main house vent:

There is most likely a future vent drop in the ceiling
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
Red_Army wrote: Do you have a wider angle pic showing all pipes ? Based on the pics provided it’s most likely c your toilet , b is your tub/shower and A (2” drain on the right is your wet vent for toilet /sink drain while the 11/2” pipe in the same pic in the left is not a drain, it is a back vent (dry) for pipe B your tub/shower
I can take one tonight. So from the looks of what you've seen in the pics, I don't currently have a sink drain pipe. I'll look in the ceiling as well to see if I have a terminated vent area.

There is also a floor to ceiling black pipe along the wall that I did not realize was related. I'll grab a pic of that too. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
Figman2 wrote: How come the rough in did not connect the vent to the main house vent? Mine rough in already has this pipe connected and run up into the house ceiling.

I've got a floor to ceiling pipe along the wall that I didn't realize was related so that might be what you're talking about. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
Menthol wrote: And who are you fooling with those 50lb dumbells or that just holds down the carpet...lol
Hahaha......I was using them until this July when I injured my left shoulder. Not so much for the time being.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
nielboy wrote: I can take one tonight. So from the looks of what you've seen in the pics, I don't currently have a sink drain pipe. I'll look in the ceiling as well to see if I have a terminated vent area.

There is also a floor to ceiling black pipe along the wall that I did not realize was related. I'll grab a pic of that too. Thanks.
The 2” pipe will serve as the fixture drain for the sink as well as the wet vent for the toilet
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3170 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
Floor plan with the rough-ins shown with measurements will tell the story.

Toilet is obvious as you say - should be around 12" from the center of the pipe to the framed wall.

Sink should be 1.5" pipe close to or even in the framed wall.

Shower should be 2" pipe 12" or so out from the wall. Many shower pans work with a 12" distance from the wall for the drain, but you'll have to check and match a shower pan to your rough-in, or do a custom pan.

The smaller pipe beside the sink drain is likely a vent and needs to extend up and connect to the venting system in your house.

The fact that A is close to the wall suggests it's possibly for a tub vs. shower. Is there room for a full tub? Where are the supply lines (hot and cold water)?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Floor plan with the rough-ins shown with measurements will tell the story.

Toilet is obvious as you say - should be around 12" from the center of the pipe to the framed wall.

Sink should be 1.5" pipe close to or even in the framed wall.

Shower should be 2" pipe 12" or so out from the wall. Many shower pans work with a 12" distance from the wall for the drain, but you'll have to check and match a shower pan to your rough-in, or do a custom pan.

The smaller pipe beside the sink drain is likely a vent and needs to extend up and connect to the venting system in your house.

The fact that A is close to the wall suggests it's possibly for a tub vs. shower. Is there room for a full tub? Where are the supply lines (hot and cold water)?
Nope , the 2” will be the wet vent for the toilet and sink drain. As I said the 11/2” next to the 2” will be the back vent for the bathtub/shower rough in, with the fixture drain the 11/2” on the other side (guaranteed the trap is in the floor already)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3170 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: Nope , the 2” will be the wet vent for the toilet and sink drain. As I said the 11/2” next to the 2” will be the back vent for the bathtub/shower rough in, with the fixture drain the 11/2” on the other side (guaranteed the trap is in the floor already)
Right - I guess I wasn't sure which was the sink drain, and which was the shower.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Right - I guess I wasn't sure which was the sink drain, and which was the shower.
2” wet vent and the 11/2” (dry) back vent are next to each other because they are measured out to be within the wall. The second (lone) 11/2” is close to the outside wall because it’s roughed in as a tub/shower combo
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3170 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't it fairly common to have a flexible material (gravel, some sort of felt or something) around the pipes and the poured slab?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Isn't it fairly common to have a flexible material (gravel, some sort of felt or something) around the pipes and the poured slab?
I’m not exactly sure what you’re referring to but if you’re referring to the circumference of the pipe as it protrudes the concrete then the answer is no, in fact I’ve never seen it. At least for builder cookie cutter production homes with unfinished basements.
When I do custom homes I will sleeve the toilet drain and the shower or tub drain with 1”foam, unless I have a floor elevation to work from
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3170 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: I’m not exactly sure what you’re referring to but if you’re referring to the circumference of the pipe as it protrudes the concrete then the answer is no, in fact I’ve never seen it. At least for builder cookie cutter production homes with unfinished basements.
When I do custom homes I will sleeve the toilet drain and the shower or tub drain with 1”foam, unless I have a floor elevation to work from
That's what I meant - something between the drain and the concrete.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
nielboy wrote: I can take one tonight. So from the looks of what you've seen in the pics, I don't currently have a sink drain pipe. I'll look in the ceiling as well to see if I have a terminated vent area.

Here is a full sized pic. I marked the floor to ceiling pipe as "D".

I believe that the "D" pipe is from the kitchen sink drain and bathrooms on second floor.

I couldn't find any future vent drop in the ceiling.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
nielboy wrote: Here is a full sized pic. I marked the floor to ceiling pipe as "D".

I believe that the "D" pipe is from the kitchen sink drain and bathrooms on second floor.

I couldn't find any future vent drop in the ceiling.

D has nothing to do with your basement rough in. It is likely only serving your kitchen sink drain as it is only 11/2”. Your future vent will likely be somewhere up in the floor joists with a hard cap on it, likely close to the outside wall where your kitchen drain comes down ( it has to be somewhere or else your house wouldn’t/shouldn’t have passed inspection)
I’ve seen them buried behind the rim joist insulation on more than one occasion

Are you the original owner?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
OK thanks Red_Army I'll have a look for the ceiling vent again.

And I am the original owner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2826 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
nielboy wrote: OK thanks Red_Army I'll have a look for the ceiling vent again.

And I am the original owner.
I found the ceiling vent. It was where you said....buried in the ceiling joist insulation right next to that floor to ceiling pipe. Thanks....much appreciated.