• Oct 7th, 2019 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
340 posts
186 upvotes

Help me identify this tree

Can anyone identify this leaf ? I think it's an ash tree but I'm not 100 percent certain especially since most ash trees in my neighborhood are dead from the ash borer bettle.

Thanks!
Images
  • upload.jpg
9 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the invasive "tree of heaven". Do you notice a foul smell from the tree? It's more of a weed than a tree. I'm no arborist, somebody with better knowledge will surely give you the right answer
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
hoponpop wrote: Looks like the invasive "tree of heaven". Do you notice a foul smell from the tree? It's more of a weed than a tree. I'm no arborist, somebody with better knowledge will surely give you the right answer
Not tree of heaven. "Leaves are 1-3 feet long, comprised of 11-25 long, narrow leaflets resembling native sumac" https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0,56 ... --,00.html

The OP's photo shows 7 leaflets. It could be a variety of ash, but a photo of the bark and tree would be helpful. If it is a sapling, it won't have been attacked by the ash tree borer yet, so could be quite healthy.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2975 posts
1198 upvotes
It could be mountain ash, which to the best of my knowledge is not an ash that is affected by the emerald ash borer. Are there fine serrations on the edge of the leaves~?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
340 posts
186 upvotes
fieldhousehandyman wrote: It could be mountain ash, which to the best of my knowledge is not an ash that is affected by the emerald ash borer. Are there fine serrations on the edge of the leaves~?
No, the edge of the leaf is pretty smooth.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
There must be an app for this kind of problem. Come on google.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2007
340 posts
186 upvotes
fdl wrote: There must be an app for this kind of problem. Come on google.
There is! Google Lens...Of course it's not 100% accurate...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2256 posts
2046 upvotes
Montreal
Give the app "PictureThis" a try. It should be able to identify this plant.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3702 posts
2657 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
fdl wrote: There must be an app for this kind of problem. Come on google.
PlantNet from Google Play store.