• Jun 2nd, 2019 11:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1371 posts
335 upvotes
Ottawa, On

Help me pick a new router

So I think my router finally decided to kick the bucket this morning and I suddenly need to buy a new one. Was thinking of just getting a TP-Link Arch C7 (link) at around $100 it will probably be good enough for my needs (not a super heavy user). That said I'd be willing to spend a bit more if I get some benefit from it. Any other suggestion on a sub-$200 router?
Are these worth the extra price tag?
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Tri-Band- ... ics&sr=1-1
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... p/10452373
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35223 posts
21202 upvotes
Center of Universe
You can't go wrong with a Netgear R7000.
While I have a newer Asus AC86U, it crapped out last year (2.4Ghz chip fried) and while I was waiting for the RMA, I plugged the Netgear back in and it's now being used as an AP to increase my coverage.
I will definitely be sticking with Netgear for future purchases.
Sep 13, 2011
966 posts
623 upvotes
Québec
The second TP-link is the only 3 bands router listed here. But if you don't have a spectrum congestion problem in the 5.8 GHz band, you don't need it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7970 posts
2663 upvotes
Maple
I was looking for router as well. I would go for ASUS one, it has better range. It has many good reviews.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2768 posts
781 upvotes
Toronto
Popular models: ASUS RT-AC68 series and the ASUS RT-AC1900 series.
You can pair them with a third party Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
15 years later I'm still using pfSense.
I wouldn't use anything different except in very special circumstances (ie travel)
Sep 13, 2011
966 posts
623 upvotes
Québec
teoconca wrote: I was looking for router as well. I would go for ASUS one, it has better range. It has many good reviews.
yes, but since it's a bestbuy exclusive, it will probably not get WPA3 support with a future firmware.
If you cant to have WPA3, buy a newer router, or best wait.

@death_hawk PFsense is a software.
We are talking about RF hardware. So maybe you should provide a complete solution that may include PFsense, but not just PFsense.
Jan 18, 2017
712 posts
281 upvotes
ubiquiti edgerouter X with unifi UAP
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1669 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
KevCnew wrote: ubiquiti edgerouter X with unifi UAP
Just curious, why not a TP-Link EAP 245 Access Point instead of the Unifi, gets good reviews too.
Jan 18, 2017
712 posts
281 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: Just curious, why not a TP-Link EAP 245 Access Point instead of the Unifi, gets good reviews too.
I think Ubiquiti gear is considered more prosumer, where TP-Link is consumer. I'm sure EAP245 is just fine; but I have been nothing but happy with my ER-X and UAP setup.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2034 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah...

Take this chance to play, learn and get Ubiquiti ER-X + UAP WiFi.
Upgrade yourself and your gear ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1669 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
KevCnew wrote: I think Ubiquiti gear is considered more prosumer, where TP-Link is consumer. I'm sure EAP245 is just fine; but I have been nothing but happy with my ER-X and UAP setup.
I'm a real novice when it comes to networking, and I find Ubiquiti to be really confusing.
eg. EdgeRouter X - should you get the plain one or the ER-X SFP if you have a few access points to power? If you do get SFP which AP's are compatible with it, ie 24V vs 48V , passive, etc ? If you don't get ER-X SFP, does the power injector that comes with the AP have to be plugged in next to the AP at the destination, or can it be plugged into the ER-X?
eg. Access Point- Nano HD vs Pro vs LR etc - which one do you choose?
eg. power switch- should you get a plain 8 or 16 port switch or a power switch-SFP ? Or just buy a cheap 8 or 16 port switch from another company? And if you decide to buy a Ubiquiti power switch is the SFP better to come from the switch, the router, or the power injector that came with the access point?
eg.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1669 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
KevCnew wrote: I think Ubiquiti gear is considered more prosumer, where TP-Link is consumer. I'm sure EAP245 is just fine; but I have been nothing but happy with my ER-X and UAP setup.
Also, I don't think EdgeRouter X has a USB port for printer or network hard drive., which could be an issue for a lot of people.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25959 posts
3265 upvotes
Montreal
Bull Dog wrote: Just curious, why not a TP-Link EAP 245 Access Point instead of the Unifi, gets good reviews too.
I'm using two to link eap APs now. I just shut off the wifi on my router, which is a 5 year old TP link with custom firmware.

Built in router wifi is sketchy IMHo. Better get a quality AP.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10015 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
using pfSense.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."