Help me with wiring security cameras plan

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 4:27 pm
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes

Help me with wiring security cameras plan

I went ahead and bought a few cams and CAT5e General Cable (I know about Cat 6 - we didn't get it)

The cams will be located all around the house obviously so not looking forward to this wiring job, but these are my options:

1. I am thinking of bringing all the cables under soffits etc. in to the attic, then drilling a hole down to a closet below the attic, and then up again to the office.

2. The alternative is to take them down from the attic and feed to the POE switch to the basement, but that's hard to access.

3. I could also drill it directly the cables all into the office but that would mean I have the router and POE switch there which would mean a lot of hardware.

4. I could also try to have Shaw create a new connection for me in a separate room and I can move the router there, and leave the switch there too.

5. Finally I could shove them all into ONE hole in the wall directly in to the office

Any thoughts/tips on the above?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1367 upvotes
Pretty hard to advise you on your specific situation, but I'm a big fan of consolidating all your network wiring in basically where your telephone and power box is, where you can throw a UPS on all of it. The last thing you want is hardware a'strewn all over the house.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35223 posts
21202 upvotes
Center of Universe
For cable management, the shortest route and best place for accessibility should be the main priority,
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: For cable management, the shortest route and best place for accessibility should be the main priority,
Thanks v. The problem is the cameras are all in disparate locations. Best place for access would rule out the basement.

Did you a POE injector or switch. On second thoughts that wouldn't matter, as it all needs to go back to that one router.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35223 posts
21202 upvotes
Center of Universe
starlamp wrote: Thanks v. The problem is the cameras are all in disparate locations. Best place for access would rule out the basement.

Did you a POE injector or switch. On second thoughts that wouldn't matter, as it all needs to go back to that one router.
I'm currently using wifi indoor cameras, but in the future when I go with outdoor POE, I will run them through the soffit up to the attic and down to the basement via a conduit to a media panel box that was installed by the builder.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4495 posts
2127 upvotes
Toronto
Not knowing your layout.
Bring power to the closet to power a POE switch & small UPS to feed your cameras. Then run 1 Cat6 from switch to your router.
This will give you the shortest run of cables to power your cameras and the flexibility to connect to your existing network.
If you are recording to a NAS or other device, that could go in the closet as well.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Jun 6, 2018
95 posts
41 upvotes
Cameras all around the house suggests that running cables around to one location and then in would be a headache not to mention an eye soar.
I like the idea of through the attic and down to the basement at 1 location (closet corner). Easy to conceal and just 1 bundle to fasten to the poe switch / router location.
But if you are concerned with ups backup then the end location or number of ups 's that you will use then is to be considered.
Oct 15, 2008
171 posts
71 upvotes
Windsor
For me, I'd put the equipment in the basement, route all the wires there and then just run 1 wire up to wherever you want it in the house (office?). It keeps the mess out of the office, allows you to do structured wiring in the whole house with UPS backup and then just pop up the network cables where you need them (when you need them). If you really can't find great locations, you can run a "conduit" through a back corner of a closet or fake wall the closet giving you a chase from upstairs to the basement (if you are in a single story - if in a multiple story, somewhere there will be a chase, you just have to find it).